U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2009, 11:02 PM

415 posts, read 917,581 times

Advertisements

Not sure if anyone else is interested but I sure am, may be planning to attend the one in Spearfish if I can get away from here to do it

Tax Day Tea Party » South Dakota

http://www.dakotavoice.com/2009/03/s...a-tea-parties/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 10:49 PM

Wow I find this amazing that no one has a comment on this particular Subject.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:55 AM

13,495 posts, read 35,654,633 times
WEll, I won't be able to attend it in any location. The one that would be nearest to me is in Sx. Falls and they had a bit of a news story on it last night. A Dr. from there was sort of spearheading it.

I'm not exactly sure how I feel about it. Taxes~especially ag land taxes are WAY too high. Also, I think what they leave us for a paycheck is kind of out of whack. But they're trying to make a bit of an improvement on that and I have noticed it in my paycheck and in DH's paycheck. They're giving us a bit more then they will after this year in order to make up for the three months we didn't get the tax break.

The problem that I see is that our govt. is broke and is terribly in debt and this is what scares me~we've borrowed a massive fortune from China. Remember how the leader of China was chastising the U.S. when they had their G-20 summit? He said we'd lived beyond our means and unless we get ourselves under control, we will turn into a third world country. NOW, I'd say we've bought WAY too much junk from China for him to be talking that way. Check out the stories about the houses that are rotting and smelling inside and people are walking away from nearly new houses because of it. Yup, it was pressboard (I think?)(more junk) that China sent over here while we were in a frenzy where everyone needed a new house. We were short of the boards, so we stupidly imported a lot of them. On the flip side, we owe that country a massive fortune and he is probably protecting their investment and his own people. Something OUR country needs to learn to do rather then worry about everyone else in the world. Our own people should come first.

NOW they've discovered that the Russians and the Chinese have gotten into our power grid. They're hopeful that they won't do anything to us cause we're on semi-friendly terms and right at the moment, China would have nothing to gain. But who knows what the future holds for us?

The United States has outlived many of the countries that have been a success if we check out history. Kinda scary how fast powerhouses actually can fall. So, I question whether now is a good time to protest taxes, especially when we're all taxed at the same rate and everyone is expected to pay their share.

I think I once posted that 20/20 had a fascinating story a LONG time ago when it first began. It may be 30 years ago already, but the experts claimed that our next HUGE war would be with China and they had so many people that it'd be an uphill battle for our country. I've always remembered that show because it was so fascinating and at that time, we didn't have a lot to do with China. BUT now we've borrowed billions from them and I just hope those prophecies aren't in the early stages.

SO, I guess I didn't post cause I have mixed feelings about this. One of the things that I don't care for is that they are going to have a boat and throw some tea into the water mimicing (sp?) the Boston Tea Party. But in actuality, the Boston Tea Party happened because the Colonies had taxation without representation and we aren't in that situation.

I'm kinda wishy-washy on this subject so I'll just wait and see what others have to say and how these events go. It's kind of a complex thing.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:31 PM

Well the title is kind of misleading in a way. According to their site the demonstrations are supposed to be keyed towads the failing stimulus and bailout bullcrap that washington just keeps bringing along and the pork filled budget.

Taxes are indeed a neccesity, albeit not some of them that are on the books that are sooo seriously flawed and single out certain items that are taxxed way too heavily.

And you are definately right about Americans living way beyond their means (well the chinese guy is anyway LOL). You got vehicles out there now that cost damn near what a house does in some cases, everyone revolves around the self centeredness of their cell phones and feeling that the whole world revolves around them being able to be contacted even while their in the john. The keeping up with the jones and smiths has gotten way out of hand I think in this country. And what surprises me is the fact that people that can't afford to keep up with the jones and smiths make it their priority to keep up with the jones and smiths. It just doesn't make any sense to me, you don't have the money for something, Don't buy it. The difference between wants and needs are null and void anymore. There was life before cable TV and 6000 channels of the same crap and reruns, there was life before Cell Phones, there was life before 50 thousand dollar friggin cars. There was life before Nintendo, Wii, Sega, Atari. No one leaves there houses anymore to go chit chat with their neighbors, let alone how many people even know their neighbors names.

They no longer teach kids anymore (schools or parents) about managing your budgets or funds, and many kids are under the impression, you got checks, you got money. The Credit conglomorate (sp?) has made the world so dependent on a 3 digit number and the whole damn world revolves around your credit score now. Litterally everything revolves around it. And unfortunately alot of people have abused the credit system and now are paying the price of it.

Ya know something Jammie, I don't remember that 20/20 show but I do remember seeing somewhere just recently that China Now has the Biggest Armed forces in the world now, mostly financed by the cheap chinese crap thats sold in american stores now. And I agree with you, Our country should come first, and the problems in this country, we shouldn't have to play the worlds police department or the worlds bailout company every damn time. I can't understand why we keep sending food to countries where their guvments don't wanna get off their asses and help thier own people learn to farm or produce the food that they need. And I don't wanna hear that crap about "their soils won't support growing foods", that is such bull**** because soils can be rebuilt and litterally "grown" if done properly, but instead the handouts are just easier and it keeps those countries "people" dependent on the help instead of teaching them to help themselves.

I don't know, the whole damn overpopulated world just seems to confuse the hell out me lately.

Old 04-11-2009, 01:11 PM

13,495 posts, read 35,654,633 times
Don't feel alone. The world confuses me, too.

I totally agree with what the Chinese leader had said. Many were living WELL beyond their means and used credit like it'd never have to be paid back. The part that bothered me was that he was reprimanding our country rather then trying to improve on the junk that they pawn off on us. Guess the Mother Hen instinct kicked in when he was knocking us~you know~the part where he was an outsider and he was picking on MY country. And yea, they may not have the weapons that we have, BUT the sheer numbers of their army are staggering and only growing.

I was personally SO against the bailouts originally, but now I just don't know anymore. There definitely were mistakes made~HUGE mistakes~by not overseeing the vacations/spending slurges/"little" bonuses, etc. All we can do now is hope they've learned their lesson and will now watch every taxpayer dime a bit closer. It was kind of funny cause on a talk show the announcer kept saying, "The taxpayers aren't paying a DIME of this. We got it from the Chinese govt." DUH, who will be responsible for paying THEM back? But he was so intimidating to the callers, that I didn't even want to participate.

It just seems that before the stimulus money, we were heading nowhere FAST. There does seem to be a bit of a turnaround now and I don't know if it can all be credited to stimulus or what exactly is going on. It's just so intermingled~like I don't believe the car manufacturers deserved this bailout for one, but what do we do with all the people who would lose their jobs? The cost of unemployment and social programs for that amount of people alone would be devastating to taxpayers. I just don't understand why they don't get some of those wages/benies under control before they give them money.

It's just all way too deep for my little mind.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:46 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,536,556 times
The market needed to correct itself. Some of the home prices, gas prices, and other items were getting over inflated and were due for a market correction. It is kind of funny that the ones who get hurt the most are the middle class and working class people, many of which who are being laid off due to the stupidity of the executives and the dummies who overextended themselves to keep up with the Joneses (those who have $35,000 salaries who think that they need a $275,000 house and have two or three $30,000 cars). I better keep it short or have a long whining session.

The part that ticks me off the most with the tax money are those who abuse our welfare system and continue to pop out kids and do this willingly and have no reasonable means to support the kids. Also, those in the similar boat who have no amibition to work and make an honest living. Many of them are able bodied. Ironically, there are many disabled people who have a hard time getting jobs who would love to work and contribute to society but some peoples' negative prejudices and the way that government programs are structured discourages disabled people to work, which ends up being a bigger cost for society in the long run (with disabled people not working and needing the government to give them aid). One of my friends, who passed away from a spinal condition she had since birth, ran into this issue. She wanted to contribute to society and work and did so, but doing so made life a lot tougher for her as opposed to idling and getting more government aid.

If people lived more conservatively (be more thrifty) and the government made wiser use of the money it gets and slims down a little, our society would be better off and would have less problems in the future. It may take a few hard knocks to get that happen given the state of some people in our society.

Last edited by Chris19; 04-12-2009 at 10:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota