Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2009, 09:43 PM

154 posts, read 154,424 times

Advertisements

To add I have a felony from four years ago (assault 2nd degree). Got in a fight with my stepdad and punched him. Anyways I'm in college studying Web programming and graphic design. In a few years I want to start my own business.

So, since I'm going to be self employed, I don't have to answer: "Have you been convicted of a felony in the past [whatever] years...". I however don't want to live in some slum with crackheads, meth freaks, and gangs. I have a little boy and want to live in good neighborhood of Rapid City. I want to be close to Montana, so I can visit family in Helena.

I have researched, and found SD is very friendly to businesses, unlike where I live in WA State. where they tax the same business to death (bankrupt).

Oh, I get to vote in 2012, at least in WA. Could I vote in SD? I'm paleoconservative Libertarian. I understand SD is primarily conservative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 10:08 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,717,521 times
Haha! Well at least you're up front about your felon!

But yes, South Dakota is friendly to businesses because we hardly tax them. It's cheap to do business here. Wages are low so you don't have to pay your workers as much as you would have to in other states. Supply costs are cheap too so you won't spend a lot on running your business. The most expensive thing will be transport because SD is somewhat isolated from both coasts.

Rapid City has no gangs and minor drug activity so you'll feel more than safe out here. The city has about 80,000 people so you'll have everything you need and then some too. Helena is about a 5-6 hour drive from Rapid City too.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:51 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
Yes to answer your question setting up shop in South Dakota is pretty much straight forward. Yes South Dakota is pretty conservative.

SD has no personal income tax. There is sales/use tax and property taxes.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:09 AM

154 posts, read 154,424 times
Moderator cut: Too political for a state forum

But anyways, I thought about Montana. However after looking at local Montana Websites developed by local talent for local businesses, I was less than impressed. If there was some programing effect I didn't have the knowledge to accomplish, I would have no choice but to outsource to India for 5-6 an hour.

Last edited by Jammie; 05-04-2009 at 07:04 AM.. Reason: clip is too political for this thread. Thank you.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:52 AM

509 posts, read 1,349,881 times
I'm sorry Danny, but there are gangs and drugs in Rapid City, they are everywhere, they may not be as prevalent or as well-known as in the bigger cities but they are there none the less....I've read some articles on the Rapid City Journal's website about fights etc happening because of the gang activity....any mid to large city in the country you will find gangs, they may be only a few kids that wanna act tough and may not be on the same level as the 'large' gangs but still there none-the-less....

Old 05-04-2009, 07:13 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadwoodJ View Post
I'm sorry Danny, but there are gangs and drugs in Rapid City, they are everywhere, they may not be as prevalent or as well-known as in the bigger cities but they are there none the less....I've read some articles on the Rapid City Journal's website about fights etc happening because of the gang activity....any mid to large city in the country you will find gangs, they may be only a few kids that wanna act tough and may not be on the same level as the 'large' gangs but still there none-the-less....
Yes there is gang activity. It is showing up on the indian reservations as well. Usually its branches off from gangs in Denver and some Salt Lake City. Its not the same as Compton but it is there.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:37 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,717,521 times
Oh yeah, there's plenty of drugs but coming from an East Coast or West Coast perspective you'll hardly notice it. Same with the gangs. Most of the gangsters in Rapid City are either wannabes or just drug traffickers from Denver and SLC.

You won't really see a throng of guys dressed in all red walking around downtown though.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:57 AM

6 posts, read 77,624 times
Joe, SD in general and Sioux Falls in particular is an excellent place to start a business and raise a family. For starters, you can see by the data in theprofile we have very little crime and we also have very low unemployment and foreclosure rates. I can take you to the toughest neighborhood in SF at 2am on a Saturday and we could walk around the block with no fear of being assaulted, and it doesn't matter what race you are.

Like others have said, we have a little bit of gang/wannabe activity here, but no drive-bys, no dealers or prostitutes on street corners, we have some homeless, but they aren't much of a problem. The City is still small enough that folks keep an eye on stuff and will call in/report suspicious activities.

As for business, again pretty good spot to start, especially tech related. We have a business incubator set up now so you might be able to get some cheap space to get going. We have a Small Business resource center that will help you with your business plan details and get you hooked up with SBA financing if that intrests you. The local economy is strong and diverse enough that the national trends don't affect us much.

Good luck.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:38 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,448,326 times
I believe that Sx. Falls is making a huge effort to care for and house their homeless. Not sure how they're progressing on that, but I wish them well.

So. Dak. has always been quite Conservative. In fact, I believe that in a recent study, we were tied with someone else as the most Conservative in the nation. Not sure that's all good though.

Our voting generally leans Republican, but we always are respectful and supportive of our current Prez no matter who he is.

I don't know about the voting, but people who've made a mistake and paid for the wrong are usually treated like everyone else here. Most of us aren't that judgmental and many businesses aren't either so it shouldn't be a problem.

I hope things work out for you.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:07 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,410,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMama2009 View Post
To add I have a felony from four years ago (assault 2nd degree). Got in a fight with my stepdad and punched him. Anyways I'm in college studying Web programming and graphic design. In a few years I want to start my own business.

So, since I'm going to be self employed, I don't have to answer: "Have you been convicted of a felony in the past [whatever] years...". I however don't want to live in some slum with crackheads, meth freaks, and gangs. I have a little boy and want to live in good neighborhood of Rapid City. I want to be close to Montana, so I can visit family in Helena.

I have researched, and found SD is very friendly to businesses, unlike where I live in WA State. where they tax the same business to death (bankrupt).

Oh, I get to vote in 2012, at least in WA. Could I vote in SD? I'm paleoconservative Libertarian. I understand SD is primarily conservative.
Not sure on the felony/right to vote issue in SD.
SD is primarily conservative.
Do you have any type of higher education?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota