Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you like better
Sioux Falls 15 34.88%
Rapid City 22 51.16%
neither/ other 6 13.95%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-04-2009, 01:25 AM

11 posts, read 23,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiotes View Post
Rapid city by far. SxFs has a 1 on there plates, and they think that it means they can do anything and go anywhere. Its the arm pit of the SD.
I am now taking nominations for the most intelligent City-Data post of year. Please alert me if you feel you can beat this one.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 10:02 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,437,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer/ View Post
I am now taking nominations for the most intelligent City-Data post of year. Please alert me if you feel you can beat this one.
Don't feel alone. It confused me, too. Sioux Falls is actually mentioned nationwide as an ideal city so I didn't understand either.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:37 PM

17 posts, read 42,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer/ View Post
Bwahaha! This cracked me up !

Old 08-22-2014, 04:00 PM

14 posts, read 23,635 times
I'm planning my vacation for next year to celebrate turning 60. I would love to go to South Dakota. Any information on great things to see or do, great restaurants, etc. while I'm there would be greatly appreciated. Plans so far are to visit Rapid City or Sioux Falls areas while I'm there. Help me out here!!!

Old 08-23-2014, 10:23 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,230,068 times
It's hard to miss Sioux Falls, as it's at the intersection of I-90 and I-29, but honestly, there's not much about the city that makes it special for a tourist. If you're planning to visit South Dakota I'd strongly suggest that you make the trip west to Rapid City and the Black Hills. Again, Rapid City itself isn't a lot unlike other small cities, but the Black Hills area makes an excellent vacation destination with Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse Monument, Custer State Park, South Dakota Bad Lands, Devils Tower and a score of other interesting tourist attractions. Let Google be your friend and I'm sure you'll find a number of sites that you'll not want to miss.

Assuming that you do take I-90 across the state, Mitchell's Corn Palace, about 75 miles west of Sioux Falls, is an interesting short stop, as each year it has all new mosaics on the exterior made from corn. The new scenes on it are made each year in the off-season, but this year it's undergoing a major redesign so will be all new next summer.

Next (another 70 miles west) is Chamberlain, which is where you'll cross the Missouri River and in doing so enter "The West". The difference is obvious, as the land changes immediately from farmland to prairie. A good place to see this, other than just from the highway, is to make a pit stop at the Chamberlain rest area. It's on a hill next to I-90 and overlooks the river and the prairie beyond. South Dakota is commonly divided geographically as either "East River" or "West River", with East River being very much midwest and West River being very much western. It's a stark contrast with the river being the dividing line.

The next major attraction will be the Badlands National Monument, best seen in early morning or late afternoon but interesting any time of the day. You can drive through it in an hour or less, but I'd suggest taking another hour to get out of your car and take a short hike or two. Trails abound, from easy to more lengthly, but all of them will give you a little closer look at the formations.

At the western edge of the Badlands is the small town of Wall, made famous by its drug store, Wall Drug. You may have seen road signs for in in Missouri. I've seen them a thousand miles into Canada and all around the U.S. It's really just a tourist trap, but as the grand daddy of all tourist traps, it's worth a stop and is a good place to buy some souvenirs. I've purchased Black Hills Gold jewelry, boots, wallets, and trinkets there, as well as breakfast and lunch.

It's an interstate hour from there to Rapid City. I'll let someone else handle the Rapid City and Black Hills attractions, or just do a Google and ask questions that you might have.

The only other thing I'd suggest, as a Wyomingite, is that you consider continuing your trek into Wyoming as well, where you could visit Devils Tower in the northern Black Hills, then the Bighorn Mountains, especially if you haven't been to the Rockies before. While the Black Hills are beautiful, they're old mountains and top out at under 8,000 feet. The Bighorns are much more majestic with jagged peaks that reach to 13,100 feet. Buffalo and Sheridan are small, historic towns on the eastern edge of the Bighorns. Both have plenty to offer the visitor with an interest in Old West history, but be sure to drive up into the mountains. And at this point you're only a couple hours from the the nation's first and grandest national park -- Yellowstone!

Last edited by ElkHunter; 08-23-2014 at 07:14 PM.. Reason: changed I25 to I29
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota