U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you like better
Sioux Falls 15 34.88%
Rapid City 22 51.16%
neither/ other 6 13.95%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 03:34 PM

11,504 posts, read 23,596,056 times

Advertisements

I noticed SD is one of the few state threads w/o a poll/ thread about which of it's biggest cities people like better.

My impression as an outsider is the Sioux Falls is more Midwestern (it's only 30 minutes from Iowa & Minnesota), is larger and faster growing, and has a more diversified economy. The main drawback would be the lack of natural scenery and higher humidity.

By contrast Rapid City is more of a Western city (only 57 miles on I-90 from Wyoming) with less population/ amenities, but is surrounded by incredible scenery - Mt Rushmore/ Crazy Horse monuments, the Needles Peaks in the Black Hills, and even Devils Tower in WY. It also has lots of cool tourist traps like the reptile & bear zoos

What do the natives think?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 03:44 PM

3,940 posts, read 14,095,948 times
I like Rapid City's setting and Sioux Falls amentities. I always say that if Sioux Falls was in Rapid City's location it would be a perfect city. I chose Rapid City not only because I live there but because it is so beautiful that Sioux Falls can't even compare. It is the only place in South Dakota where it is usually warm, you are almost guaranteed a mountain view, and you can go hiking in the woods all day and still be back in town to catch a bite at a chain restaurant.

Not to mention, Rapid City has a better overall arts scene, downtown, and recreational activities. Sioux Falls has us beat on shopping and proximity to larger cities though. Hopefully Rapid City's shopping will get better soon and travel time to Denver-Boulder will get cut down with the Heartland Expressway.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:57 PM

19,627 posts, read 9,869,592 times
I will not vote. I have never had to live, in either City, therefore...............

Old 06-09-2009, 06:49 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,169,241 times
I voted for Sioux Falls.
I do agree with Danny... Even though I'm not very familiar with Rapid City... It's been 2-3 years since I've been there... before that trip, the last trip to Rapid City was at least 10 years back.
I loved the scenery of Rapid, and all of the Black Hills. When I was there (in July), tourists are everywhere... I saw license plates from all over, just in my short drives in Rapid. I think tourism is a huge thing for Rapid City.
I'm not trying to put down Rapid City, but from 1999-2007 (most recent year), RC had a higher city-data.com crime index. I'm not sure how this is compiled.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:56 PM

11,504 posts, read 23,596,056 times
Can anyone answer whether each are Midwestern in feel or is RC more of the cultural 'gateway' to the Mountain West? Does SF feel more like Des Moines, Indianapolis, or even Cincinnati? As a Kentuckian I've always thought of South Dakota as more of a Western state, given its large Indian population and scenic mountain areas around the Black Hills & Badlands

Old 06-09-2009, 07:10 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,169,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Can anyone answer whether each are Midwestern in feel or is RC more of the cultural 'gateway' to the Mountain West? Does SF feel more like Des Moines, Indianapolis, or even Cincinnati? As a Kentuckian I've always thought of South Dakota as more of a Western state, given its large Indian population and scenic mountain areas around the Black Hills & Badlands
Honestly, the Missouri River through the center of the state is a major divider. SF is definite Midwestern feel... Much like Des Moines, Omaha, etc.
West of the Missouri River is less dense populations. The topography is more diverse, and the scenery is awesome in the Black Hills (south and west of Rapid City).
Rapid City has a larger Native American population, due to its close location to the Indian Reservations.
If I had to say, I would call West River "Western" and East River "Midwest".

Old 06-09-2009, 07:27 PM

948 posts, read 2,634,245 times
I have to say I prefer Rapid - Sioux Falls is nice but my vote lies in the fact that the space around a city is more important to me than what is in the city.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:41 PM

3,940 posts, read 14,095,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Yes, I'd say Rapid City is the "furthest east Western town". It has more of an outdoorsy feel to it that is similar to Denver, Salt Lake City, and the Western US. Western SD has ranches and cabins while Eastern SD has farms and cottages.

If you've been to Colorado, Rapid City has the same vibe as the Front Range cities. I often compare Rapid City to Boulder, Loveland, and Fort Collins.

Sioux Falls is comparable to Minneapolis suburbs like Bloomington and Plymouth- both of which are very nice, highly rated cities.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:35 AM

479 posts, read 1,469,705 times
I say a few years ago, I would have preferred Sioux Falls. Today, probably Rapid City, but I would prefer to live outside of town either way.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:34 PM

13,495 posts, read 35,904,384 times
I like both cities even though I've never lived in either one and I also chose not to participate in the poll. Neither one is really better then the other. They're just a bit different.

Even though I live near Sx. Falls and it's a great city, I can't argue that the Rapid City area is more scenic. Some of the most beautiful scenery in the country is in the RC area.

And I agree, the Hills area does have a bit of a Western feel to it, but it's still very Midwestern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>