Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 02:45 PM

819 posts, read 1,743,162 times

Advertisements

the airboat5 clan made our rounds sunday.Iam a former flat lander and held the wheel with both hands and both feet on the the brakes most of the day. what a trip. maybe next trip I will be able to look around more because I was afraid to look off the road.but the kids loved the whole trip even while telling me over and over to watch out all day long.next time Iam not driving at all. ps is there any fireworks in rapid city july 4th Iam not ready for the hills at night yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 03:11 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Airboat, you sound like me where driving is concerned. I just love riding around out in the Hills, but don't like driving there. You'll have to let one of your children drive next time so you can kick back and enjoy the scenery. Oh wait, that could be even scarier for you. LOL

Old 06-22-2009, 04:52 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
The speedway and Elk Club in Rapid Vally used to do a nice fireworks display.

The both feet on the brakes reminds on of a story of me many years ago with a 57 chevrolet water truck. Instead of brakes it was both feet on the accelerator pedal... Until I ran out of engine. Another adventure was coming out of the hills with a bullrack and a 7/8 crazy truck driver. Trying to interrupt his story long enough to point out that we need to make a hard right hand turn at the bottom of the hill.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:12 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,710,979 times
Executive Golf Club, Arrowhead Country Club, Elks Club, and Mount Rushmore are the major shows in Rapid City. The most popular one in Rapid City is probably Executive because the fireworks are displayed downtown. You can park anywhere and set up a blanket to watch the show. Most people set up in Founders Park, Memorial Park, and the Central HS football fields.

I like to watch them from Skyline Drive!

Old 06-22-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Executive Golf Club, Arrowhead Country Club, Elks Club, and Mount Rushmore are the major shows in Rapid City. The most popular one in Rapid City is probably Executive because the fireworks are displayed downtown. You can park anywhere and set up a blanket to watch the show. Most people set up in Founders Park, Memorial Park, and the Central HS football fields.

I like to watch them from Skyline Drive!
Or Catron Boulevard east of Highway 16. Years ago that is what I would do.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:24 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,407,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airboat5 View Post
the airboat5 clan made our rounds sunday.Iam a former flat lander and held the wheel with both hands and both feet on the the brakes most of the day. what a trip. maybe next trip I will be able to look around more because I was afraid to look off the road.but the kids loved the whole trip even while telling me over and over to watch out all day long.next time Iam not driving at all. ps is there any fireworks in rapid city july 4th Iam not ready for the hills at night yet.
I'm not sure about in Rapid, but I see others have posted... The fireworks at Mount Rushmore are awesome! I was lucky enough to view them a few years ago.

My parents aren't too excited about driving around the Hills either. Hopefully you'll get used to it!

Old 06-22-2009, 08:21 PM

141 posts, read 402,883 times
I am right with you about the driving in the hills We spent Fathers day at Canyon Lake and then took a drive up on Skyline drive. The view was beautiful.. when I was parked and out of the car. While driving I was white knuckling the steering wheels and at times repeating "oh my god" and another word I cant say here LOL.

I absolutely hear ya about not being ready to drive it at night!

Old 06-23-2009, 10:29 PM

1,582 posts, read 3,108,480 times
Does anyone know of any up in the northern hills? Spearfish, Deadwood, Belle?

Old 06-23-2009, 10:42 PM

948 posts, read 2,790,748 times
Lead ones are my favorite because it seems like no matter where you are in town you are close.
They shoot them off over the open cut gold mine right in town.
There is some fun happenings in town all weekend (Lead Jubilee Days)
Best to get to any show early unless you know the back roads.
Welcome to Lead, South Dakota | The City with a Heart of Gold
They use to have a decent show over Orman Dam outside of Belle on the 3rd I haven't been there for a while though.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:55 AM

I have always wanted to see the fireworks over the open cut at Lead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota