Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 06:37 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times

Advertisements

A couple of things that help. Or at least, when I was growing up there I thought it helped.

Most of South Dakota is rural/ag type land. Those kids are out there driving when they're 10-11 years old. Secondly, South Dakota used to be a very young age to get a drivers license.

I grew up on a farm in Eastern South Dakota and was driving a grain truck into town when I was 11. Course, tractors and pickups and such in the field a lot younger then that. But I got my drivers license in Rapid City when I was 14. At that time, it was a permit. But it was unlimited as far as I didn't need anybody else in the vehicle with me. I had a 50 mile range limit from home. Daylight hours only unless you were going to or from a school activity or going to or from work (had to have a letter from employer stating hours).

So we started a lot younger then most states.

Plus the fact that most of the state is still rural helps the stats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 07:52 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,409,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
A couple of things that help. Or at least, when I was growing up there I thought it helped.

Most of South Dakota is rural/ag type land. Those kids are out there driving when they're 10-11 years old. Secondly, South Dakota used to be a very young age to get a drivers license.

I grew up on a farm in Eastern South Dakota and was driving a grain truck into town when I was 11. Course, tractors and pickups and such in the field a lot younger then that. But I got my drivers license in Rapid City when I was 14. At that time, it was a permit. But it was unlimited as far as I didn't need anybody else in the vehicle with me. I had a 50 mile range limit from home. Daylight hours only unless you were going to or from a school activity or going to or from work (had to have a letter from employer stating hours).

So we started a lot younger then most states.

Plus the fact that most of the state is still rural helps the stats.
Well, the "America's Safest Drivers" claim was for Sioux Falls, and not for South Dakota as a whole... Although I'd be curious to know the safest driving state!

Old 07-23-2009, 08:15 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1986 View Post
Well, the "America's Safest Drivers" claim was for Sioux Falls, and not for South Dakota as a whole... Although I'd be curious to know the safest driving state!
But a lot of those farm kids migrated to the "City" for work.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:10 PM

19,723 posts, read 10,496,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1986 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
But a lot of those farm kids migrated to the "City" for work.
Exactly, EH. Why/How'd you end up in Sioux Falls, MJ?

Old 07-23-2009, 09:19 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,924,072 times
True, but Sioux Falls does not have as good traffic flow in general as opposed to Des Moines, Kansas City, Omaha, and Oklahoma City in my opinion. Some of it is that people have not adjusted to the concept of city driving. I am not suggesting that people drive as if they were in LA, NY/NJ or Chicago, but drive in a flow. Some of the people in Sioux Falls would not do all that well if they had to drive in bumper to bumper traffic that is flowing at 70-80 mph and the type that one has to get in sync with traffic or get off the freeway.

One of the best things to help traffic flow, especially in the mall area is to extend 26th Street though one of the exclusive country clubs and connect it to Louise Ave. where Jonny Carino's/Get N Go/and First Dakota National Bank is. It is no problem when poor homes, working class homes, and middle class homes, but heaven forbid if a wealthy or exclusive area gets condemned for the benefit of the public or vast majority of the people. I guess that money talks, but power to the people.

I personally think that traffic should flow. Sioux Falls is not terrible but a lot of drivers are pokey and would get run right off the road if they were in other parts of the country, to say it bluntly.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:34 PM

19,723 posts, read 10,496,229 times
I think the last time was in OKC, was before Chris, MJ & Danny were born. No mater where people live, someone is going to complain about traffic. Sioux Falls, has A LOT of people, who come down there, for nothing more than medical needs. For a few years, I was briniging my parents, and/or my sister's family, because they didn't know they're way around, and weren't comfortable driving, in the "big" town. Now days, if it wasn't for Sam's Club & Scheeles, or a medical appointment/referral, I wouldn't even bother going to Sioux Falls. Sales tax is needed in Mitchell & Huron, also.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:50 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,924,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debey View Post
I think the last time was in OKC, was before Chris, MJ & Danny were born. No mater where people live, someone is going to complain about traffic. Sioux Falls, has A LOT of people, who come down there, for nothing more than medical needs. For a few years, I was briniging my parents, and/or my sister's family, because they didn't know they're way around, and weren't comfortable driving, in the "big" town. Now days, if it wasn't for Sam's Club & Scheeles, or a medical appointment/referral, I wouldn't even bother going to Sioux Falls. Sales tax is needed in Mitchell & Huron, also.
You have a very good point and the comment is good for putting things into perspective. My parents and grandparents who live nearby and remember when Sioux Falls was city of 60K to 80k. I am comfortable with the heavier traffic and used to it, and actually can tolerate driving in Denver and Twin Cities during non-rush hour traffic. I would have to be half-insane to be driving through these two cities during rush hour traffic. If one can drive in the Twin Cities and Denver, they can figuratively drive in KC and OKC blindfolded.

Sioux Falls, comparated to other parts of the country (I have been to 40 states: as far west as the Pacific and as far east as Syracuse, NY and all southern, all Midwestern states, most Mid-Atlantic states, and most western states.) is decent but there are cities that do better and there are many that do worse. Sioux Falls needs to fix its infrastructure in spots, especially on I-29 between 41st St and Tea exit.

Driving in places remote places such as Faith, Mission, etc. and on the Indian reservations scare me more than driving in places of heavier traffic.

On a lighter note, some of the best places I have have driven through include Kansas, Texas, and Oklahoma.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:58 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,409,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debey View Post
Exactly, EH. Why/How'd you end up in Sioux Falls, MJ?
I ended up in Sioux Falls for schooling when I graduated high school. Growing up on a farm, I wasn't too active in it. Mainly because I had no interest in it.

The first time I drove anything, besides a riding lawn mower, I was probably 12/13... it was in a pasture... an old Ford truck with a manual... I stalled it quite a bit... After a while, I got the hang of it.

In the coming years, I helped out quite a bit... as I should've.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota