Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 06:48 AM

1,634 posts, read 6,718,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleharley View Post
Hot Springs is a great place to retire. The climate is drier than you might expect and since it is located near the south end of the banana belt which runs along the east side of the hills, the climate is a lot milder than you may expect. The snow doesn't stay around long enough for sking or snowmobiling, but if you are into that sort of thing, Custer is just a few miles north with the winter sports. I am not sure what you are interested in, but there is plenty of room to fly.

uh
So were exactly would the banana belt be? As far as Custer, I understand the winter and summer to be mild. Does the snow really dump on Custer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 09:15 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,714,004 times
The Banana Belt is anywhere immediately east of a mountain range. You find the same case in the Colorado Front Range and even in Sheridan, Wyoming. To put it plainly, the bad weather skips over these areas and hits the plains further east from the mountains. Hence why it can be nice and mild in Rapid City while the weather is treacherous in Wall and Kadoka.

Custer is up high in the hills so they are a totally different scenario. They are usually cooler in the summer (by about 10 degrees) and they get more snow in the winter. However, if there is an inversion, they will be warmer and the sky will be clearer than down in Rapid City.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inversion_(meteorology)

Old 08-06-2009, 06:37 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,856,235 times
Custers weather can only be described as tricky. Yes, it can get dumped on, but the snowplow crews are pretty good about keeping things open.
uh

Old 09-18-2009, 09:19 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,064,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheif-narragansett View Post
i think you must get cool green forest for your retirement bcoz u need fresh air not vapourized air
Could you explain to us what "vapourized air" is ?

Old 06-20-2012, 11:05 AM

2 posts, read 2,578 times
my friend has suggested Hot Springs for me to live.. Im a widow with a disability.. 58 years old.. going to check it out tomorrow

Old 06-20-2012, 11:50 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,856,235 times
Good Luck. It's been 6 yrs since I retired and I like it here.
uh

Old 06-23-2012, 09:20 AM

41 posts, read 77,005 times
I don't know where you are moving from but I moved here from WI a year ago and wouldn't change a thing. LOVE Hot Springs.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:56 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJSteiner View Post
my friend has suggested Hot Springs for me to live.. Im a widow with a disability.. 58 years old.. going to check it out tomorrow
According to this, you have now been there. I think you'll love it a lot more than where you are from. Getting into the hills area will be a world of difference. Lot's to do, disability or not. Tell us what you think of Hot Springs when you get home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota