Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 09:11 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,409,950 times

Advertisements

News, Weather and Sports for Sioux Falls, South Dakota, Minnesota and Iowa

Another thumbs up for South Dakota!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 10:41 AM

18,218 posts, read 25,857,597 times
What a valuable post THIS one is. I've done a fair amount of traveling in my day and it VERY refreshing to see a state like South Dakota look out for retirees! Thanks MJ1986!

Old 09-16-2009, 11:23 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
That is wonderful that our state is finally being recognized and ranked high in national ratings. Thanks for posting that, MJ.

The only thing is I do disagree with a bit of this. Many states don't tax retirement pensions or social security even if they have a state income tax. So those states are actually a good thing for retired people considering that their property tax rates are much lower in states with a state inc. tax. I don't want to discredit this wonderful ranking, but I dunno.....

Old 09-16-2009, 11:50 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
Thousands of retired full-time RVers change their official state of residency to South Dakota because of lower taxes, etc. I'd imagine it's profitable for the state. They (often) buy their RV in SD (low 3% sales tax), license it in SD, buy vehicle insurance in SD, buy driver's licenses in SD, and spend tourism dollars in SD while doing all this. Then they're gone, leaving no footprints. Texas is the other popular state for full-timers to call home.

Old 09-16-2009, 04:19 PM

451 posts, read 977,087 times
MJ - thanks for posting this information. That is really good to know !

Old 09-16-2009, 10:04 PM

39 posts, read 109,649 times
Default Retirement housing in Sioux Falls ?

Is there any age 55 and above retirement housing in the Sioux Falls area as we have here in Fruita, CO (10 miles West of Grand Junction) ?

Not looking for assisted living. Looking for active adult community like
Village at Country Creek, the Grand Valley's premier retirement community.

I know the winter weather is colder there in SF. Main reason of interest is that our family lives in Central & SE Minnesota. After living here for 16 years the trips back to MN seem to get longer each time.
Taxes in MN for a retiree is horrible!

Bob

Old 09-16-2009, 10:12 PM

18,218 posts, read 25,857,597 times
Fruita, Colo. Oops, that's where i live! lol. Whazzup there, Co_Rider?

Back to biz: In a way, I understand where jammie is coming from. It is one thing to have low taxes and for it to be friendly to seniors and retirees, but there IS such a thing as some sort of state revenue. This is a certain amount of money that needs to be collected by state government FOR state government. Sorry Jammie! Good comments by WyoNewk, by the way!

Old 09-17-2009, 11:30 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Yes, unfortunately tax dollars is something that we HAVE to pay if we want roads and bridges and highways and libraries and an educational system and the list goes on.

I'm glad to have read the posts on here though. You've all brought up some good points and it's very true that many people use our state as a resident state so their car insurance, license plates, etc. are more affordable.

CO_Rider, hopefully someone who lives in Sx. Falls can point you in the right direction for housing. Sx. Falls really is a nice city. We go there quite frequently just to have lunch and spend the day in the park.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:43 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
There should be abound Sioux Falls. Also for retirement take a peek a Brookings as an option.

Worked at a resort where many were full time retired RVers. They were about the nicest group of people to work for and be around.

The tax structure makes sense for the retired. No state income tax, property tax - avoidable by renting or owing an RV. Cheap if you own a manufactured home. Sales and use tax is there. By the time retirement comes most of the material things you need are already purchased, might have to replace an item every now and then.

3% tax on vehicles and cheap to register a vehicle. It makes sense why we rate the way we do.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:49 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,409,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_Rider View Post
Is there any age 55 and above retirement housing in the Sioux Falls area as we have here in Fruita, CO (10 miles West of Grand Junction) ?

Not looking for assisted living. Looking for active adult community like
Village at Country Creek, the Grand Valley's premier retirement community.

I know the winter weather is colder there in SF. Main reason of interest is that our family lives in Central & SE Minnesota. After living here for 16 years the trips back to MN seem to get longer each time.
Taxes in MN for a retiree is horrible!

Bob
Bob,

Here are some links:
Resort-style Retirement Community | Sioux Falls, South Dakota | Welcome to Waterford at All Saints
http://www.abhomes.net/southdakota/index.html
Prairie Creek: A Good Samaritan Community

I'm not quite sure if that is what you're looking for... Hopefully that will help out somewhat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota