Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 05:34 PM

551 posts, read 1,590,438 times

Advertisements

How does opening up medical admissions lower medical standards? There are not enough openings in medical schools with plenty of qualified students wanting to enter. Opening up admissions to allow more students would mean more doctors and more competition. Competition is good as it leads to lower costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 06:58 PM

415 posts, read 972,538 times
Oh well hell, just remember that half of them doctors out there graduated AT THE BOTTOM of the class. (and they won't tell you which ones were at the bottom of the class)

They call it PRACTICING medicine for a reason, Cuz they are all Still practicing.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDHomesteader View Post
Oh well hell, just remember that half of them doctors out there graduated AT THE BOTTOM of the class. (and they won't tell you which ones were at the bottom of the class)

They call it PRACTICING medicine for a reason, Cuz they are all Still practicing.

ROFL as your comment is soooo funny! Yeah, some doctors will always be "practicing" medicine. Fortunately we have an excellent family practice doc who we've seen for the past 20+ years. He's wonderful and he even puts up with me

Old 10-16-2009, 08:38 AM

955 posts, read 3,648,230 times
I have to say... hospitals are taking a HUGE cut due to health care right now (folks who have lost their insurance, have no income etc) - that is why us as employees are paying the price for all of the charity care the hosptials are providing - we are forced to take paycuts and have no vacation or sick time - we as direct care workers pay the price = not the hospitals, doctors or bigwigs when bills are not paid...

Also just FYI the federal goverment recently relased a large chunk of funds allocated to healthcare providers such as hospitals that accept Medicaid (reibursed at a much lower rate) and our wonderful state reps in Pierre "re-allocated" these funds to go directly into the state budget, rather than to the desgnated healthcare providers and hospitals - talk to THEM about why your medical costs are so high - not the hosptials

As for Obama asking the healthcare providers what needs to be fixed... we see the frequent flyers who eat up the funds available - taking no responsiblity for their own selfcare, not following any of the medical orders, and continually doing self harm to themselves, then having the system (YOU) pay for it over and over and over - I'm talking over 1 million dollars in charity care / Medicare / Medicaid bills for one patient in a years time (which was due to patient non-compliance alone)... you might be surprised at what we do see (and are VERY frustrated with) so don't write us off - remember too that many of us also fall under the billing issues - I have many co-workers who have accounts in collections for medical bills here - we don't get special discounts or treatment either - as for making money hand over fist... tell it to my mandated pay cut bank account...

Last edited by BusySocialWorker; 10-16-2009 at 08:53 AM..

Old 10-16-2009, 08:40 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
The standard is high for a reason. Medical School is difficult. The make the entrance difficult, thereby having a decent group where fewer students wash out. Wash outs being a waste of time to the professors.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjl78 View Post
The standard is high for a reason. Medical School is difficult. The make the entrance difficult, thereby having a decent group where fewer students wash out. Wash outs being a waste of time to the professors.

The standards are high but there are far too many pre-med students who desire attendance in medical school, have the grades, passed the tests, but do not have the "right" connections to get in.

As to doctors meeting high standards and being the brightest forget it.

On average IQs the following exists:

Nurses: 130
Doctors: 115
Engineers: 130 to 140

Using your kind of logic then the engineers followed by the nurses should be heading to medical school. The doctors would be the last to attend.

Medical school attendance should be opened up, as it was in the 1920s, before the AMA decided they wanted to allow doctors to make more money. The AMA doctors applied pressure to medical schools to tighten admissions leading to less US doctors being graduated. There was a shortage, especially in primary care doctors, leading to bigger salaries for all. Finally, the influx of foreign trained (is this good?) doctors helped fill the gap as there were not enough US doctors to take care of patients. Foreign doctors usually had an easier admission process to medical school BTW.

So your logic is faulty unless you like being seen by foreign doctors or doctors who are not the brightest i.e. doctors average IQs are less than nurses or engineers.

BTW I could have gone to medical school as my average IQ is well above that of a doctor. I didn't have the money or the connections.

Last edited by LadmoFan; 10-16-2009 at 09:40 AM.. Reason: grammar fix and added comment

Old 10-16-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusySocialWorker View Post
I have to say... hospitals are taking a HUGE cut due to health care right now (folks who have lost their insurance, have no income etc) - that is why us as employees are paying the price for all of the charity care the hosptials are providing - we are forced to take paycuts and have no vacation or sick time - we as direct care workers pay the price = not the hospitals, doctors or bigwigs when bills are not paid...

Also just FYI the federal goverment recently relased a large chunk of funds allocated to healthcare providers such as hospitals that accept Medicaid (reibursed at a much lower rate) and our wonderful state reps in Pierre "re-allocated" these funds to go directly into the state budget, rather than to the desgnated healthcare providers and hospitals - talk to THEM about why your medical costs are so high - not the hosptials

As for Obama asking the healthcare providers what needs to be fixed... we see the frequent flyers who eat up the funds available - taking no responsiblity for their own selfcare, not following any of the medical orders, and continually doing self harm to themselves, then having the system (YOU) pay for it over and over and over - I'm talking over 1 million dollars in charity care / Medicare / Medicaid bills for one patient in a years time (which was due to patient non-compliance alone)... you might be surprised at what we do see (and are VERY frustrated with) so don't write us off - remember too that many of us also fall under the billing issues - I have many co-workers who have accounts in collections for medical bills here - we don't get special discounts or treatment either - as for making money hand over fist... tell it to my mandated pay cut bank account...

AMEN! BETWEEN MEDICARE AND CARING FOR THE UNINSURED WE ARE ALL PAYING FOR THIS MESS. Shouting intended.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:10 AM

451 posts, read 976,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusySocialWorker View Post

Busy, I just also wanted to post that as a member of the healthcare community (for almost twelve years now) that I appreciate your post and think it was very well written and accurate. Thank you.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:02 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadmoFan View Post
The standards are high but there are far too many pre-med students who desire attendance in medical school, have the grades, passed the tests, but do not have the "right" connections to get in.

As to doctors meeting high standards and being the brightest forget it.

On average IQs the following exists:

Nurses: 130
Doctors: 115
Engineers: 130 to 140

Using your kind of logic then the engineers followed by the nurses should be heading to medical school. The doctors would be the last to attend.

Medical school attendance should be opened up, as it was in the 1920s, before the AMA decided they wanted to allow doctors to make more money. The AMA doctors applied pressure to medical schools to tighten admissions leading to less US doctors being graduated. There was a shortage, especially in primary care doctors, leading to bigger salaries for all. Finally, the influx of foreign trained (is this good?) doctors helped fill the gap as there were not enough US doctors to take care of patients. Foreign doctors usually had an easier admission process to medical school BTW.

So your logic is faulty unless you like being seen by foreign doctors or doctors who are not the brightest i.e. doctors average IQs are less than nurses or engineers.

BTW I could have gone to medical school as my average IQ is well above that of a doctor. I didn't have the money or the connections.
Honestly you must frequently utter " I reject your reality and substitute me own"

More doctors is not the answer. Visiting with my physician this morning he saif the practice is gone and replaced by business. Where some doctors it about doing a procedure to make money instead of healing.

Doesn't the requirements for medical school vary by institution?

In a years time I had $250,000 in medical bills. Chemo was $25000 a month for a while. Mostly the medicine.

Social worker excellents points. I guess I am looking at from a patient's point of view.

Also I was ball buster when it comes to dealing with doctors. I did have choices, in doctors, clinics and some treatment.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:26 PM

The AMA applied significant pressure to form the MCATs (a test not used before entrance requirements were tightened) and more doctors would lower medical costs. When you know there is a doctor down the street willing to offer lower cost, and perhaps better, medical care guess who has the patients. With all services it's the laws of supply and demand.

As to doctors going big business. You bet! Most doctors have to go big business due to the many frivolous lawsuits filed for so many things. My family practice doctor's practice, for example, used to deliver babies. Not any more. The cost of malpractice insurance drove them out of obstetrics.

There are so many problems with the US medical system that need to be fixed.

Some things to think about:

1) Treating a large number of non-paying patients that hospitals have to care for. Hospitals can not absorb these costs so the costs are eventually passed onto the ones that can pay.

2) The lower payments for Medicare patients. Both doctors and hospitals have to absorb these unpaid costs.

3) Medical insurance companies not willing to pay either. Doctors have been pretty well forced to sign contracts so they can see patients. Most patients can not afford to pay out-of-pocket costs due to the exorbitant fees charged to pay for non paying or partial paying customers. So for doctors to do business they must comply with insurance companies so their patients can pay to see them.

4) The reduction of paperwork. It's amazing how much paperwork is involved when it comes to insurance. The US should consider ways to streamline insurance paperwork. I don't have a solution for that one but I am open to ideas.

I do appreciate the significant how your survived your medical treatment. I suspect you were not responsible for all those bills as most insurance plans have a cap built in. I am happy for you as those were pretty hefty expenses.

Our medical bills have been far smaller but we've eaten our share of spaghetti when the kids were young. It was pretty tough until we established credit with our numerous doctors the kids saw. Most of our doctors were willing to work out payment plans but we had to establish credit first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota