Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 08:06 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjl78 View Post
You talking of taking SD Highway 34 to SD Highway 50? I often take that route when I head east. Also 1806 into Lower Brule is neat drive, and lots of pretty country along the river.
Yes, 34 to 50 is a route I take often. Funny, as you mention, only when I'm heading East. I've only taken 1806 East once. I love that little white church out in the middle of a pasture. Seems for some reason when heading West I always take I-90 and up 83. I guess it is because I'm in such a rush to get to S.D. take my time when leaving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 08:02 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,924,569 times
I have on the 34/50 route between Pierre and Chamberlain a few times. More interesting than the US 83/I-90 route but is much more desolate, which there is a hidden beauty behind that.

Old 11-26-2009, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50something View Post
WHOW, WOW, WOWIE!!!!

I've been looking at different forums on C-D for the past year, and this one is by far the nicest and most upbeat. (I'm probably gonna hear from Colorado Springs on this one!) I recently relocated from New Jersey to Colorado -- long story, but if anyone is interested, they should read my recent posts in Colorado Springs.

A question, if you don't mind:

What town/city in SD would a 54-year-old feel most comfortable?
I am looking for an older population. I researched Wikipedia but still need some guidance.

Thanks!
There are a number of cities in South Dakota that fit the bill. As for communities around Sioux Falls, most would work. Brandon, Dell Rapids, and Hartford are probably the best with having basic ammenities and being less than 15 miles away from the Sioux Falls, which has a robust medical system and a number of shopping, eating, and working options. Lennox, Canton, and Garretson are also worth considering but have more of a small-town atmosphere. They are growing a little but not to the extent that towns a few miles closer are. Harrisburg and Tea are nice but are being extensions of Sioux Falls and becoming more Sioux Falls-like.

Other communities worth considering include Yankton, Mitchell, Dakota Dunes (near Sioux City), Elk Point (near Sioux City), Brookings, and Pierre. If one is big into hunting and outdoors, Pierre would be a good fit.

Old 11-26-2009, 08:12 AM

819 posts, read 1,743,786 times
My family still wants to know why I moved here. you just have to been here once and your hooked.

Old 11-26-2009, 08:53 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris19 View Post
I have on the 34/50 route between Pierre and Chamberlain a few times. More interesting than the US 83/I-90 route but is much more desolate, which there is a hidden beauty behind that.
I often take that route. On the way east or returning. Or the other route I take, I run 34 to 45 and pick up I-90 at Kimball.

Old 11-26-2009, 10:59 PM

I have been on the 34/45 route once and it is a lonely route compared to what I am used to in the southeastern part of the state. Interesting to say the least.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:33 AM

451 posts, read 977,087 times
Default May I Amend My Answer?

I would like to amend my answer to this question by saying that I am moving to SD because it is not here !!!!

I had three days that told me I found home. I spent the first three years here and it didn't even come close.

In fact, I won't even tell some people where we are moving (especially those who I would really like not to follow me). That includes the little ------- who hit my daughter's car on Thanksgiving Day in her parking lot and did not leave a note. Really nice - all I can say to that person is karma!! Way to kick someone when they're down. Broke my heart watching my child ask me, "Seriously Mom, what is really wrong with these people?".

We may be changing the sign to "For Rent" or perhaps trying to sell with it empty. I don't want to hang around here longer to get to the point that we can't get out. SD is looking good to one of my kids and I'd love to have her there as well.

For those who like it where they live that is either here in the state I am currently surviving in or wherever or feel such behavior is just kind of the way it is these days - then I guess each to their own - I am not going to argue. And oh, by the way if you're anywhere near AZ.........House For Sale!!! I know different and I will take months of cold and snowy weather any day of the week.

SD forum thank you again for letting me vent. My mother-in-law had a saying from the "old country" which translated went something like, "what's too much isn't even good with bread". Agreed.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:11 AM

My uncle lives in nearby Las Vegas, Nevada and with the stuff going on there, I some sometimes wonder why he and my aunt remain there and not move somewhere where there is less crime and people are friendlier. AJTuscon, some of the same stuff you describe remind me of Las Vegas. On a visit to LV three years ago, my parents stopped to let a mother and her couple of kids cross the street and the motorist behind was impatient and bumped into my parents' car. They sped off, but luckily we got the license plate number and report it to the police, which it took them 30-45 minutes to arrive (which seemed like an eternity). The southwestern part of the country is a nice place to visit but I have no desire to live there.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:52 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
AJ, what a neat post. I know your family would fit right in and be respectful of others. That's positive growth. I imagine that many people have just grown with an area and don't realize there isn't high crime all over or that the unemployment rate isn't extremely high all over. But if someone can put up with it, more power to them. Safety and civility mean a lot to many of us. You can't imagine how many posts I've read that say, "Crime is high all over." OR, "There are no jobs anywhere". Just things like that.

Chris, I know what you mean about LV. It's not isolated though. If you check the detailed profile of many areas of the country, you absolutely won't believe how high the crime rates are. And I thought Sx. Falls is bad cause it's two thirds of the national average. I think CD bases it on something like 323 or about that. The rates of some cities is over 1200. Oh, and I believe Sx. Falls is two hundred something. It really is amazing.

Old 11-27-2009, 07:34 PM

692 posts, read 1,707,074 times
I am so looking forward to living in SD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota