Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 04:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,377 times

Advertisements

Bernice Holland Jones died in November. She was the long time Head Mistress of St. Mary's School.
Years before she died she had asked me to write St. Mary's story. I wasn't too enthusiastic about doing so. Have much material and now that Bernice's gone - I kick myself for not being more deligent. So I'll try again. At the last reuntion attended in 2000, one of the grads from Kenyon Cull's time indicated that she was working on a history. I think her name was Francine. Does any one know who she might be? I also know that Charlotte Lambert, Vermillion, had expressed an interest in so doing. Any one else? I have David Kemp's paper "Speaking In Forked Tongue" and odds and ends of records etc. I don't won't to duplicate or impinge on another's efforts, so if any one knows someone with such a work in progress, I'd like to contact them to see what has been done.
VDHSneve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 06:01 PM

1 posts, read 3,073 times
Default Picture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne4good View Post
My late Grandfather carved an alter (took 5 years), and a Niobrara cross for "the Ascension Chapel at St. Mary's School for Indian Girls at Springfield."
I would like to go see both, but can not find that school.

I only recently acquired a copy of the newspaper article and would like to find out what happened to the carvings if the school has been torn down, etc.

Hoping some of you may know. I am not sure, but think this article dates
to between 1975-1985.

the name of that school ringing a bell with any of you South Dakotans??
Hi,
I'm an old St. Marys' student from Eagle Butte, So. Dak., I am a Bible School teacher at our St. Johns' Episcopal Church here, the Alter is in our Church, if you'd like I can send you a picture of it!!!

Eva

Old 04-02-2013, 10:25 AM

1 posts, read 2,916 times
Interesting to read updates on former school members of St Marys' ...i only went the one year, "77-'78, age 12, grade seventh...i remember many of the names of that year, including all of the Senior class, Marlene Zamora, Suzanne Fire Thunder, Kim Red Wing, then my fellow 7th grade class memebers, Debbie Jensesn, Lynette Foote, Cynthia RedWing...several pairs of sisters attended that year, Lynette and Georgia Foote, Juanita and Peggy Coffman, Cynthia and Kim Red Wing, Amelia and Teresa Felicia, Bessy and Faith Janisch, teachers were that year Judy Briley, Mrs "Ochilvich", Judy Nelson ( i believe that was her name), of course Aletha Buchanon, Miss Kinzie, the piano teacher who expertly taught me and many other girls how to play the piano, of which we girls all came to love playing...of course too Kenyon and Prisca Cull, headmasters, she of Turkish descent, and he British, i will remember his curly mustache and heavy accent, she was very short and wore a wig, (anyway thats what i was told)....many, many memories that year, even though it was one year that i attended there...the ringing of the bell for supper, going to the recreational room, playing foosball, etc.... the always same supper of toast, banana and tea on sunday evenings, going down to the basment and playing hide and go seek, the basement i remember was so pitch dark, kinda scarey as a 12 year old, ....going down to the river bottom and exploring with the other girls, getting in trouble by mrs cull for doing that and being late for the assembly...going to our outing once a week, with our weekly "allowance" of a whole thirty five cents!, and going to the bowling alley , buying our treats....what a year of memories! one i will always remember, as a youthful, full of energy kid who enjoyed fun times, not so fun times, but a year in my life, none the less....does any body know of the whereabouts of any of the girls ive named?

Old 01-17-2014, 03:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,710 times
Linda, it was so interesting to read your post as I was at the school in 1975-77 or somewhere around that time. Mrs. LeBeau and Mrs. Buchanan were teaching. And, Suzanne, Esther, Madelyn, and Marlene were there as the Sr.'s. I was in the 6th grade and then attended the first half of 7th grade as well. I have always wondered about the school and all the girls I met during that time. I also spent time in Texas as one of the "chosen" ones (I'm not sure how all that was run or decided, I don't remember) to attend the summer program with the DAR. It was a very interesting time, and I have some good and mixed memories, many that I cherish. Thanks for the reminder. It's really a bummer that the school went under. I also heard rumors that it had some scandals around it, but I have no idea-could be just that...rumors. I would be interested in hearing more.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:21 AM
dpf

132 posts, read 316,070 times
I can forward the following updates about St. Mary's.

Hilda Settje, the administrator from 1984-86, died this past week.

The St. Mary's campus has been purchased by the Santee Sioux Nation of Nebraska. They plan to use it as a rehab facility.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,539 times
I was a teacher at St. Mary's for two years from 1952 through 1954 and had a very interesting time there. That was before Kenyon Cull was Headmaster and the dorm(s) were built. It was also before the dam below Springfield was built to turn that part of the Missouri River into another reservoir which I have never seen, because I have not been back to South Dakota since then. Bernice Holland was the headmistress then, and the school was housed in the big stone building-really an overgrown home which had been added onto on the north side to provide classroom and library space on the ground floor and two dorms on the second floor. The basement housed the dining room, kitchen, and pantry with the girls' big communal bathroom separated from the food areas. South of the main building was the laundry which was large enough for drying lines in addition to the washing machines and ironing boards. On the west side was the quonset building which was the gym and recreaion room for the girls. To the northeast was the caretaker's cottage, and across the street to the north was the two-story home management house where the seniors lived as a family and had a small child for them to get practical experience in maintaining a home and caring for children.
Some of the girls had gone with Miss Holland to a DAR convention and returned the day after I arrived in Springfield. They had also visited some churches on their trip, hoping to gain additional support for keeping the school going. That first year there were forty-four girls enrolled from fourth or fifth grade through high school. The new girls each year were given tests to determine their grade level, even if they had supposedly completed eighth grade and had to pass the eighth grade standards for South Dakota before they could begin any high school classes. Each one who was below grade level in any subject could progress as quickly as possible, and the younger girls would be grouped, if at all possible, for the basic subjects. The high school girls had the regular science, math, social studies, and grammar and literature classes. All the girls had daily assignments cleaning and working in the kitchen or laundry, and the high schoolers received home economics credit for what they learned from these practical experiences. Each day began and ended with prayers or a short service in the chapel. Other activities includes music, drama, crafts, and dances. I'll be glad to share more about staff, students, and other things we did.

Old 10-30-2016, 07:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,741 times
Just came across this thread - am also a granddaughter who would like very much to see the cross that took my grandfather so loving long to carve. Very happy to know where it is so that one day will be able to see it again.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,433 times
I am a former St Mary's student and graduate of 1976. I graduated with Debbie BlueBird, Carol One Feather, and Pattie Sherwood. I am trying to find my old classmates and any others. My name is Carol Torres but at school I was known as Carol Giovetti. I was able to go to one school reunion after Mrs. Cull had passed away and enjoyed visiting with Mr Cull. Please if anyone can help me find my former classmates.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,292 times
I have a very early Charles dickens book with markings that it came from that st Mary’s school, book is from late 1800s and looks like it’s been read many times. If anyone wants it as a momento I will give it away. Just pay shipping. U can email me at [email]dennis.eddy1@gmail.com[/email]. Would like it to go to someone with links to the school

Old 12-25-2023, 02:07 PM

2 posts, read 216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerepiscopalian View Post
Linda, it was so interesting to read your post as I was at the school in 1975-77 or somewhere around that time. Mrs. LeBeau and Mrs. Buchanan were teaching. And, Suzanne, Esther, Madelyn, and Marlene were there as the Sr.'s. I was in the 6th grade and then attended the first half of 7th grade as well. I have always wondered about the school and all the girls I met during that time. I also spent time in Texas as one of the "chosen" ones (I'm not sure how all that was run or decided, I don't remember) to attend the summer program with the DAR. It was a very interesting time, and I have some good and mixed memories, many that I cherish. Thanks for the reminder. It's really a bummer that the school went under. I also heard rumors that it had some scandals around it, but I have no idea-could be just that...rumors. I would be interested in hearing more.
Madelyn here! I remember both teachers and both Marlene & Esther! Been so long ago!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota