Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 05:07 PM

128 posts, read 282,146 times

Advertisements

AJ
I am so sorry about all your troubles! What did I miss - what happened with all that water??

I didn't realize you had a pool. My pool got crushed with the foot of snow we got a month ago. I haven't looked into yet whether I want to repair or just tear the sucker down.

As a single, I can't give you any advice. I would expect as a staff RN, you would be able to find a job anywhere. In fact, there are also incentive programs for RN's in patient care in certain areas of SD - I think you get a big check after working 2 years.

I wonder if it just might do you some good to come up for a week for some interviews? Even just to get out of that house for awhile.

Just wishing you the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 05:17 PM

819 posts, read 1,743,523 times
We ended up selling our home to one of my sons. He wanted to stay in texas to be near his friends and girl friend.Iam pretty sure mostly the girlfriend.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:35 PM

479 posts, read 1,555,345 times
Though it is not even close to what you are thinking about, I spent a month taking a summer class 6 hours from here, and started my first job about 6 weeks before the wife could move out with me. It wasn't bad, but I came home every weekend. I realize that probably wouldn't be the case for you. I just hope you can get that place sold.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:41 PM

75 posts, read 252,315 times
The problem with the wife going out of town first, is that she'd discover how nice it is not to have me around. Then she wouldn't give out her address and have an unlisted phone number!!

Old 01-06-2010, 05:44 PM

819 posts, read 1,743,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmstng View Post
The problem with the wife going out of town first, is that she'd discover how nice it is not to have me around. Then she wouldn't give out her address and have an unlisted phone number!!
ditto

Old 01-06-2010, 06:16 PM

451 posts, read 976,986 times
Default Waterworks

Hi LQ! Oops!! Guess I forgot to write what happened. Yesterday I walked into our house and in between the tiles were little rivers of water. I could not figure where it came from. I wiped it all up, looked at the vent on the ceiling to see if there was a leak...nothing, what the heck!!? Called hubby to see if he thought the ice maker might have lost its mind and chucked out twelve dozen cubes. He didn't think so. I finally walked back into the kitchen and saw a spot that would not wipe up by the end of a row of cabinets. I pulled open the doors - there it was - one huge mess. It was the hot water valve with a slow insidious leak that neither one of us noticed.

The cabinets are solid oak and were recently re-stained. I put down great shelf paper from Bed, Bath and Beyond (heavy rubberized stuff) and that was that, never looked again (except maybe to pull out the dishwasher soap)...what a mess! The way they are designed is the saving grace. None of the cabinets were ruined. It was only the drop in shelving on two and two face boards (one pretty long one). The mess was removing all that saturated wood from the shelves and that was a project. Then came the heavy duty fans and we've been blowing up a storm in there ever since. We really were fortunate ... but it makes you think ... we were ready to list (as you know). Still makes me wonder. (BTW, so sorry to hear about your pool. Inground pools and spas here are just about as common as fireplaces are in WI/MN/SD, etc.)

We have a lot to consider here. I am a very methodical, logic minded person. Great assets for work...hard to just be spontaneous about a move though. However, the waterworks display just might change my mind.

Airboat - How wonderful that your son could buy the family home. Way, way back in the day hubby and I bought my parent's home in WI. Never a regret - best idea that really got us off to a great start. I am looking forward to our move one day...think we'll rush out of AZ...then I like what you mentioned about taking a relaxing trip up to SD.

Leroy - what a great idea to stop home on the weekends. I wish we could do something like that. However, I guess that is why this will be a decision. However, if the roof caves in tomorrow...I'm outta here !! And thank you again, I hope we sell soon as well.

Fox - you know it buddy (kidding, you know I am kidding)!!! Now lets get back in that kitchen and finish measuring these stupid boards!!!

Last edited by AJTucson; 01-06-2010 at 06:33 PM..

Old 01-06-2010, 09:32 PM

59 posts, read 129,644 times
Hey AJ, well, I'm going through this right now.

I moved to Sioux Falls in October to start my job. My (now) fiancee could not quit her job at the bank because I could not pay her bills and mine on my salary. So she's been trying to get a job up here since November. She did interview on Dec. 21 and received a follow on form with a release for an investigation last Wednesday. That seemed to indicate they were fairly interested. We're still crossing our fingers!

I have it easier - I had no property to sell so I could just go. My fiance lives in a trailer I'd like to give a Viking funeral to when we leave. Seriously, it's a 1965 Marlette. She'll sell it to the park for peanuts but that should make the exit easy.

The worst thing - being apart. My apartment is nice, I have enough toys but it's just not the same without her. Yes we call often and have been able to visit each other's places but the stretches in between seem interminable. Our winter seems to be making it work.

I have gotten involved with some sports and hobby groups here in Sioux Falls so I have some public contact outside of work - that has helped a lot. Making new friends is really important. In this community it's very easy to make friends.

I hope that helps!

Old 01-07-2010, 08:20 PM

29 posts, read 83,021 times
There's not that many jobs in SD. So if you think you are going to find one right away, think again.

Look in the local newspaper on line to get an idea.

Also rent - the cheapest you can find is about $500 range.

So, financially, why would this be a good idea?

You are going to have to support two households. on one income maybe..

Good luck with your decision.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:41 PM

451 posts, read 976,986 times
Hi Kbear - I am crossing my fingers for you that your fiancee will get that offer!! Very good points on getting out and about if we do wind up with one working in SD and the other still working in AZ. It is true that the more people you meet and the busier you stay......not that it fixes the situation....makes it just a tiny bit easier to take (I hope, if that is the way we go).

Kara - thanks for the reply. We were up in Rapid City this fall and still have yet to visit Sioux Falls (still trying to decide between the two cities; both have advantages). However, you're right on the money with the minimum for rent.

For me, I've checked out nursing positions in both cities (and surrounding areas) via their hospital websites and I am happy to report that there are openings in the areas I have an interest in. However, it goes without saying, there is no way either one of us would move without having a job. Thanks for the good luck wishes - it is a tough call - we've got more thinking to do on this one for certain.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:46 PM

412 posts, read 958,158 times
Hubby and I did it that way. It was supposed to only be for a few months. It's going on 2 years now. His out-of-state employer keeps stringing him along, promising that if he stays only a few more months they'll have him do independent sales and service work for them when he moves out here so he won't be out of a good-paying job. Then it's a few more months... and a few more.... He's coming out to visit in a few weeks and then for good in July (whether the promise comes true or not) because as Jammie said, I didn't get married to be alone.

As for selling the house, it moved a lot faster once we weren't in it. People could come and see it any time they wanted to. We didn't have to worry about setting appointments, stashing the pets for potential buyers, constantly running around in a cleaning frenzy and it was much less stressful. We got more visitors and it sold in a couple of months vs. almost a year.

As long as you guys have more concrete plans than we did, it should work out fine. It can be hard getting used to a new place though, and it's even harder when you're alone. Plus there's no one to help with the snow shoveling. :lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota