Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 08:13 AM

479 posts, read 1,555,345 times

Advertisements

Man, what a mess it is around the Huron area. I drive about 20 miles to work, and it was terrible today. The road was clear, but you just couldn't see. I hit several white out areas. Once I even got out of my vehicle (dumb I know) to see where I was on the road to find my wheels were headed for a ditch. So I figured I needed to get off the road, and maybe after daylight it'd be better.

So I pull into this little place that has a nice big parking lot. For what I could see, it looked like a good place to stop. I pulled into the lot, and bang...snowbank. Dang. It took awhile, but I dug myself out and laid low until daylight. Wasn't a whole lot better, but made it to work anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 10:02 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Been there, done that. Growing up in Miller you could always find a drift to park in, inadvertantly or it was one of those "Hold my beer and watch this" snowbanks.

What kind of vehicle are you driving?

Old 01-25-2010, 10:09 AM

400 posts, read 1,238,263 times
I have a friend that drives for the USPS from Huron to Sioux Falls every morning. Took him almost 1 1/2 hours to get from Mitchell to Sioux Falls on the Interstate this morning. Be careful everyone....

Old 01-25-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Been there, done that. Growing up in Miller you could always find a drift to park in, inadvertantly or it was one of those "Hold my beer and watch this" snowbanks.

What kind of vehicle are you driving?
I drive a Bravada. It is the first time I have ever been stuck with it. I am usually pretty careful, but I looked down for a split second, and there the drift was.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:28 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyleroux View Post
I drive a Bravada. It is the first time I have ever been stuck with it. I am usually pretty careful, but I looked down for a split second, and there the drift was.
That's all it takes.

Last fall, I happened to be in Wally World and saw a winch made by Reese. I grabbed it up. It's a portable winch that has 20 ft remote leads to control it. It has 20ft leads to connect to any battery. And it drops on a ball hitch. It's a 2000 lb winch. Seems kind of light, but when you think about it, how many times have you been stuck when all it took was two buddies on foot to give you a shove and get you unstuck?

Here's the surprising part. I got it on sale for $49.00. But the normal price is only $54. Just can't go wrong with one of them along for the ride.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:41 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,714,004 times
A friend of mine was supposed to come up from Sioux Falls today. Unfortunately, he's stuck there now and I have today off with nothing to do!

Old 01-25-2010, 12:12 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
I hate being stuck. Nothing worse than being buried. 4x4 are the worst for me. I manage to bury myself even more than before... But I have been stuck to the point of having to dig myself out twice this winter.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:42 PM

A few years ago, we had a big blizzard, with over 20 inches of snow, mostly on a Sunday. Our office was closed on Monday, and I walked to work on Tuesday morning. It was difficult, but I was fine. I got to our office, and some guy had run his medium sized pickup into a four foot drift that was at least 20 feet wide. He was digging with one of those little plastic orange shovels...not getting anywhere. I went into the office and got one of those metal grain shovels. After a time, we got him out. During this time, another vehicle got stuck in the alley, so I went to help him. In the meantime, the first guy backed up out of the drift, and to my amazement drove right back into it. I didn't help him anymore.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:52 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
Feeding cattle during a blizzard is always the worst. Times we would have to load up on idiot cubes and head out. If we couldn't get a round bale or stack out to them. When it got really bad it was D4 Cat and a prayer.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:57 PM

1,582 posts, read 3,109,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyleroux View Post
A few years ago, we had a big blizzard, with over 20 inches of snow, mostly on a Sunday. Our office was closed on Monday, and I walked to work on Tuesday morning. It was difficult, but I was fine. I got to our office, and some guy had run his medium sized pickup into a four foot drift that was at least 20 feet wide. He was digging with one of those little plastic orange shovels...not getting anywhere. I went into the office and got one of those metal grain shovels. After a time, we got him out. During this time, another vehicle got stuck in the alley, so I went to help him. In the meantime, the first guy backed up out of the drift, and to my amazement drove right back into it. I didn't help him anymore.
I don't blame you. You can't fix stupid!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota