U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2010, 01:20 PM

22 posts, read 66,556 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I am relocating to South Dakota to go back to school and obtain employment as a teacher. I was looking into Rapid and Sioux Falls and would like comparisons. I am from New York and although I don't like over population and crime, I do like recreational activities, good places to go out and eat and friendly people. Please tell me your opinions of both places whether they be good or bad.

I would like to know prices for apartments in both areas

Best city to get ethnic food and good food as well

Friendliest people
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 03:14 PM

27,971 posts, read 36,714,261 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/south...apid-city.html

Was a thread that discussed the topic a while back. It comes down to preference. Both are nice towns. I like Rapid, but that is home for me. I like visiting Sioux Falls and have several friends there.

If you are into outdoors and mountains or hills Rapid City. It has a view that is amazing. The skyline at night is

Into a more "metro like" setting with a few more retail choices Sioux Falls would be preferred.

I still would vote Rapid.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:23 PM

3,940 posts, read 14,085,407 times
Sioux Falls and Rapid City are both going to be WORLDS different than what you are used to in New York. Rapid City has a "western feel" to it, because it is at the foothills of mountains, has a lot of recreation, is slower paced, and is more conservative. Sioux Falls has no scenery to speak of, but it has a few more job and retail options and is closer to larger cities. Weather-wise, Rapid City has Sioux Falls beat. Rapid City has mild, dry winters while Sioux Falls' are long, cold, and wet (similar to Upstate NY). Rapid City also gets a lot more sunshine.

Really, it just comes down to preference because they're both great places.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:35 PM

819 posts, read 1,658,606 times
Rapid city has a stuck in the 80s feel. I grew up in the 80s so this works great for me.and theres nowhere on earth I would rather be in the warm months.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airboat5 View Post
Rapid city has a stuck in the 80s feel. I grew up in the 80s so this works great for me.and theres nowhere on earth I would rather be in the warm months.
It does work. For me it was the 90s. I had a lot of good times then. I still listen to 90s music on the radio

Old 02-01-2010, 06:43 PM

819 posts, read 1,658,606 times
Iam only 38 and I loved the 90s too.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airboat5 View Post
Iam only 38 and I loved the 90s too.
I was actually happy in the 90s. Summer of 98 was the best. To attempt to keep this one topic. I was in Rapid City at the time too

Old 02-01-2010, 07:56 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,588,117 times
Rapid City and Sioux Falls are both good cities.

Recreation-wise, Rapid City definitely is better than Sioux Falls, but Sioux Falls has a handful of lakes and places for recreation within an easy hour's drive.

I agree with Danny that Rapid City has a milder climate than Sioux Falls. Being from the Sioux Falls area, I often envy those in Rapid City and their warmer weather in the winter.

Sioux Falls has a more diverse economy and is easier to find a better paying job than Rapid City. Both are reasonably-priced places to live in, but having the paying job will make it easier to have a little extra disposable income to do such things as visiting Rapid City and the Black Hills.

I also agree with Danny that Sioux Falls is closer to larger cities. It takes me five hours to get to Kansas City, four to the Twin Cities, four to Des Moines, and a shade under three hours to Omaha. Rapid City to Denver is similar timewise as Sioux Falls to Kansas City or Sioux Falls to the Twin Cities.

If one likes to live in a small town near either one, the selection of smaller towns around Sioux Falls is better than Rapid City. Harrisburg, Tea, and Brandon are popular choices, although towns such as Dell Rapids, Lennox, Canton, Hartford, and Worthing are other good choices.

It depends on what a person wants. I suggest visiting both before deciding and come up with a general idea of which one is a better fit.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:42 PM

56 posts, read 198,321 times
I agree that Rapid City is much more scenic. However, there's a lot of beautiful scenery in and around Sioux Falls. The Sioux Falls Park Systems are phenomenal. Some of my favorites are Falls Park, Terrace Park/Covell Lake/Japanese Gardens, McKennan Park, Arrowhead Park, Legacy Park, Sherman Park and the Outdoor Campus/Sertoma Park. There also are the jewels on the prairie which include Palisades State Park and Newton Hills State Park. Both are beautiful and are a short drive from Sioux Falls. Sioux Falls is surrounded by lakes as well that provide water recreation and fishing. These include Wall Lake, Lake Alvin, Lake Lakota, Lake Vermillion, Lake Madison and Lake Herman. There's also Covell Lake in Sioux Falls which will actually surprise you. I caught a mess of perch out of there this past summer along with an 8 pound Northern Pike and 12 pound Catfish. There's also the new Family Park on Ellis Road. This is a wonderful addition to Sioux Falls' already wonderful Park System.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:02 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,588,117 times
I remember fishing at Covell Lake back in the early 90s and caught Crappie and Bass fish but quite a few bullheads. The bullheads were still suitable for use and we ate bullhead, which was not too bad with right preparation and seasoning.

Sioux Falls has a decent bike trail system and is likely to get bigger over time. It would be neat to have bike trails eventually linking its system to Harrisburg, Brandon, and Tea, but that may be down the road sometime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>