Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 08:13 AM

4,861 posts, read 6,927,783 times

Advertisements

My daughter's fiance just received a letter from that wonderful humaitarian hospital called Sanford Health stating that he owes them $ 20,000 from an incident 7 years ago. He has never been notified before this and yes, they're going to send it to collection.

Here's the background. He was 19 years old and at a party. A person that he didn't know punched him, breaking his jaw. This person took off and the police were called. They supposedly were to do an investigation to find the perpetrator, but he wasn't found. My future son in law was taken to the hospital for his injuries.

Obviously, the guy who delivered the punch would be liable if caught. Since he wasn't, the hospital bill, according to everything he was told, was to be covered by the state under some kind of victims fund. At 19, he definitely didn't have the money or insurance.

Does anyone have information on how this situation is supposed to work? Is the hospital able to come back 7 years later, just to ruin his credit for something that wasn't his fault? What's the legal ramifications of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 09:36 PM
dpf

132 posts, read 316,231 times
I'm quite sure that your future SIL is responsible for the bill. Although 7 years is a long time for Sanford to wait to send their first bill. But since no one was ever caught or charged with the assault and he was the one who benefited from the services he is probably going to have to pay it. Not much different that getting being hit by an uninsured driver...you or your insurance company pay whether it was your fault or not. Life ain't always fair.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:12 PM

56 posts, read 210,725 times
I went through a similar ordeal. I was stabbed by a racist skinhead downtown about 13 years ago and had to go to what was then known as Sioux Valley Hospital. I never received any bills regarding this so I figured that the jerk that stabbed me must have been ordered by the court to pay them. I was sadly wrong. I received a notice 5 years later from Sioux Valley stating that they were going to send me to collections. I wrote a letter to them explaining the circumstances and the reply I got back was that they basically didn't care. I wound up applying for assistance through some program (I believe it was called Victim's Assistance) and they took care of a big percentage of the bill.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:18 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Might check with a lawyer. But for some reason 7 years is a magic number in some of this. Also yes there might be some victims assistance available. That is run to SD Department of Social Services.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:15 AM

4,861 posts, read 6,927,783 times
Thanks for the info. Hard saying how this will end up.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:25 AM

33 posts, read 126,214 times
i agree - i too believe 7 years is the magic number - i also remember hearing that if you make contact about it they can restart the clock and get another 7 years to collect. whether i'm right or wrong i think it would be best to contact a lawyer as suggested and not to communicate at all with the hospital unless guided by a lawyer ...

Last edited by exflyguy; 02-15-2010 at 08:27 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-15-2010, 09:16 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Wasn't 7 years the statuet of limitations? If so, I wonder if because no convictions or proof of person has happened, that the limitations has run out on them collecting from guilty party? So now they go after him. Just a thought.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:10 AM

33 posts, read 126,214 times
what i read was that 7 years is the statute of limitations, however if you acknowledge the debt prior to it running out, 7 more years apply. i don't know if this is only applies by state or its federal law or what.

i have encountered this topic in writings and articles on tv on several occasions though i can't remember with any clarity the last time i did.

what i've read was that collection agencies will buy these debts and try to get a bite - if you do, you're on the hook for another 7 years. people often don't even remeber the debt and sometimes it was already paid - they aren't to concerned with the facts - if you bite - they'll take you're money.

Last edited by exflyguy; 02-16-2010 at 12:40 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-16-2010, 03:31 PM

29 posts, read 83,042 times
He would have to file for victim's assistance to receive the funds. and then its doubtful he would get the whole $20 grand.

you could go to a lawyer, but he would just say he was responsible for the bill.

the hospital treated him. so he owes. it doesn't matter if he got beat up or not.

Now, he could go after the other guy to pay, but he doesn't know who to go after.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:03 PM

71 posts, read 199,051 times
I would suggest talking to an attorney asap! If i recall 7 years is the limitation and it must be close to running out so they are jumpy to try to collect. Yes you can get assitance but you must apply for it and might be a little more sticky since it has been 7 years. Also better make sure that this is the total amount or just the cost of the hospital charge WITHOUT the interest. My best friend had something similar happen and the amount they were presenting was just the charge and not including interest. He worked out a payment deal and they wrote off about 2/3 of the bill. So it is possible to work something out. Consult an attorney FIRST before you talk to them any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota