Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 06:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,037 times

Advertisements

Im taking off this summer for south dakota, so im trying to stay in the woods for like 3 weeks, but im having trouble finding a solid place to go. if any body can point me in the right direction that would be awsome. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 07:47 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shane420 View Post
Im taking off this summer for south dakota, so im trying to stay in the woods for like 3 weeks, but im having trouble finding a solid place to go. if any body can point me in the right direction that would be awsome. thanks
I would highly recommend Sheridan Lake in the Black Hills. If you are camping, try and camp on the South side. Lot's of places to hike around there and it's absolutely beautiful.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:28 PM

1,582 posts, read 3,109,710 times
Really depends on what you are looking for...give us some details, and we can make some suggestions!

Old 02-16-2010, 02:33 PM

190 posts, read 433,772 times
Shane,
Are you packin a metal detector?

Old 02-16-2010, 04:21 PM

948 posts, read 2,792,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shane420 View Post
Solid?
Are you talking driving between campgrounds? or just pitching a tent and back country packing where ever you go? or are you looking for a single place to set up camp for the whole time with groceries etc. ?It's roughly 20-40 miles between most communties thru some pretty rugged terrain - centennial trail (single track trail) and mickelson trail (easy traveling) are good ones that will take you thru a huge amount of the black hills. There is a huge variety of campgrounds that offer varying degrees of amenities vs. privacy - ? I think most USFS campgrounds have time limits for your stay at each site.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:22 PM

1,582 posts, read 3,109,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric#1 View Post
Solid?
Are you talking driving between campgrounds? or just pitching a tent and backpacking where ever you go? or are you looking for a single place to set up camp for the whole time with groceries etc. ?It's roughly 20-40 miles between most communties thru some pretty rugged terrain - centennial trail (single track trail) and mickelson trail (easy traveling) are good ones that will take you thru a huge amount of the black hills. There is a huge variety of campgrounds that offer varying degrees of amenities vs. privacy - ? I think most USFS campgrounds have time limits for your stay at each site.
The limit on FS and BLM lands is 3 weeks, so he should be safe. State properties, I am not so sure on, but they can be reserved online now, I believe.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:50 PM

7 posts, read 17,146 times
Default Centennial Trail

There is a trail in the Black Hills called "The Centennial Trail", (Google it, it looks pretty cool) It's 111 miles long. I'm going to hike it this summer. I'm relocating to RC and it ought to be fun. I thru-hiked the Colorado Trail last summer

Old 02-16-2010, 04:55 PM

948 posts, read 2,792,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter-123-Yesiree View Post
There is a trail in the Black Hills called "The Centennial Trail", (Google it, it looks pretty cool) It's 111 miles long. I'm going to hike it this summer. I'm relocating to RC and it ought to be fun. I thru-hiked the Colorado Trail last summer
It is very cool - I too mentioned it to the OP in my previous post. Not for the faint of heart it's quite rugged in some areas.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:10 PM

819 posts, read 1,743,786 times
I would go with what elkhunter has to say. camp on the ice one night that take some brass if your not used to it.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:27 PM

189 posts, read 564,568 times
i hiked all last summer in upper black hills with back pack . did mickelson trail from deadwood to mystic. saw a beautiful male mtn. lion at mystic right after thunderstorm. i was in shelter and he was ambling along across the st. he didnt know i was around. i will be age 70 in may and am doing hike/camp again all this summer in hills. i mostly camped in campgrounds, but sometimes outdoors. watch for people coming behind you without warning on mickelson . i am disabled and didnt like that as i lose balance easily. from near lead i took sugarloaf trail. went back way from deadwood. once took trail other way from deadwood. not as pretty and mostly mining machinery. there are some cold nights as well as a lot of thunderstorms. i like to use hot hands hand warmers also. some places they are only 89 cents plus tax for 2 or you can get a pkt of ten a little cheaper. i buy mine at mercantile in spearfish near kmart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota