Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 12:15 AM

46 posts, read 149,917 times

Advertisements

*slaps self on head* yes, I could see why living in ALASKA would make things more expensive, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 06:03 PM

64 posts, read 260,989 times
I've lived in CA all of my life, and 1st visited SD in 2007. I've been there 3 times since. I've thought about moving there, but after visiting this winter I decided that the extreme cold is just too much for me. It's something about the fresh air and happy people that keeps me coming back ever summer. It just seems like the perfect summer atmosphere to me. I never knew a place like the hills existed because I had never explored that far north. It's nice to know there are some places still full of good friendly people. I'm looking forward to this summer to do it all over again

Old 03-26-2010, 09:06 AM

1,582 posts, read 3,108,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXXIMUZ View Post
I've lived in CA all of my life, and 1st visited SD in 2007. I've been there 3 times since. I've thought about moving there, but after visiting this winter I decided that the extreme cold is just too much for me. It's something about the fresh air and happy people that keeps me coming back ever summer. It just seems like the perfect summer atmosphere to me. I never knew a place like the hills existed because I had never explored that far north. It's nice to know there are some places still full of good friendly people. I'm looking forward to this summer to do it all over again

Trust me, I think we are all looking forward to the summer at this point! (Unfortunately, I have the feeling there is still a storm in there somewhere...)

Old 03-29-2010, 11:14 AM

70 posts, read 267,411 times
As long as no one moves to SD for what it is and then want to change it.
I am finding this happening more and more to small towns and cities. Like Cody, WY.

Theres no place like home.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:05 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,716,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyQuest View Post
As long as no one moves to SD for what it is and then want to change it.
I am finding this happening more and more to small towns and cities. Like Cody, WY.

Theres no place like home.
I live 3-4 hours from the Bay Area and Los Angeles. People from those ciites moved here, and ruined it before they starting moving out of state. Remember CA is a huge state, Take away those two cities and we have more in common with SD, MT, NE than you'd think. Most people moving out of CA are probably from L.A. and Orange County, they don't represent CA. From experience, this is my advice. Do not elect anyone who recently arrived from CA to public office. Big mistake. CA city people tend to do this. They move somewhere and within a couple yrs. are trying to get on the city council, school board, whatever. These people like to change stuff.

I drove through SD a couple yrs. ago. Looking for my ideal place to live. It was in Sept. The weather was nice. I know SD has extremes, hot summers and cold winters. Where I live it's basically the same year round. We have really nice winter weather. So why would I move to SD? I don't know. I like waht I saw, good people there. I wasn't super impressed with eastern SD. Brookings was listed as one of the best placed to live in the U.S., from an article I read. I guess I'd find Norman Rockwell, and didn't. Black Hills are gorgeous. That'd be my spot most likely, somewhere like Custer

Old 03-30-2010, 07:12 PM

451 posts, read 976,864 times
Default Peace and Quiet

I don't think many SD residents have days that involve PD choppers over head. Seriously, could not figure out why I was being followed to the post office and grocery store today. Then, after leaving, got a call from DD. I pulled into a subdivision to pull over and take the call safely without driving and talking. I was followed.

Having had my fill...I went home. Turns out that in the area I was shopping and driving there was a huge SWAT situation going down regarding many, many explosives (as in it will take a day for the neighbors to return home) in a home and they were looking for the resident.

Now, there is no utopia, but I often look at our pictures from our RC visit and remember the peace and quiet on Pactola and Sheridan Lake. I know I posted before, but beside the four seasons, my big draw is peace and quiet and clean air and lakes!!

Old 03-30-2010, 09:17 PM

193 posts, read 677,481 times
I've lived in several SD cities, and out of state as well. Brookings does have my vote for one of the best places to live if you have a family. Everything is geared towards family, it's not too small but not too big. The community is an extremely committed volunteer community, working for the better-ment of the town and for the people that live in it. I've never seen a town offer so much support, even to people who haven't lived in Brookings very long. The crime is virtually nil, mostly college kids "borrowing" bikes they find on their walks home from uptown on the weekend, they eventually turn up in someone's yard for the most part.
That's probably why it was voted in. Also, the main street has that old fashioned appeal to it, especially now since they've redone the whole thing. Music on Main Street, old fashioned hamburgers, antique stores... it's really interesting, for around South Dakota anyhow. People from big out of state areas may not think so though.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:26 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,716,704 times
To be fair, I only stayed in Brookings for about 6 hours, then continued on. It was a Sunday, which was unfortunate since I was really looking forward to trying some SDSU ice cream. I'm not sure what I expected,I wish I could have spent more time there. I did notice that real estate prices where up there a bit, compared to other areas I visited in SD. Maybe there's a reason.

Old 11-29-2014, 03:01 PM

8 posts, read 10,970 times
I think that a big reason why people move to South Dakota from places like California or Florida (my case) is that it's a lot more like America used to be. I started to look at South Dakota almost on a hunch and the more I learned about it, the more I liked it. Also on a hunch, I decided to check if there was a ranking of the freest states. South Dakota was ranked no. 2, and when I customized the ranking by removing some extraneous social issues it went up to no. 1. For me that's a big part of the attraction. I'm a city guy, so I think Sioux Falls would be a good compromise for me. I'm aware it's slightly nippier than Orlando around January, but I'm sure July is a lot nicer. I'm planning to visit as soon as possible.

Old 11-29-2014, 03:28 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
The magic greener grass as many states are seeing. I suspect it to go on for quite some time with freed from jobs boomers retiring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota