U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-28-2010, 02:26 AM
 
Location: Black Hills
109 posts, read 227,284 times
Reputation: 120

Advertisements

Hi there,

I posted last summer asking a bit about Spearfish and got some great responses, so I figured I'd try here again

The might be moving has been replaced by a will be moving (As long as the final paperwork goes through nicely, which it should *knocks on wood*) and since I'm planning to live off campus I've started looking a bit at housing alternatives.

I'd like to move in the beginning of August which I've seen is about the same time as the Sturgis rally, so I'm thinking starting early with these preparations might be a good idea.
I'd really prefer not have to set back the moving date cause I'd like to have as much time as possible to get the apartment in order, get used to the time difference and generally just get to know the place a bit and start adjusting to life on a new continent!

So, what this (beginning to be long) post is about is me fishing for hints for where to find an apartment.
I've been looking at BHPioneer.com and found some rental companies posts and noted those numbers to try to contact them.
I'm not looking for anything big, just a studio or one bedroom apartment, preferably with all utilities included. (Ya know, besides phone, internet etc)
One of my stoppers seem to be that it needs to be pet(kitty) friendly and so far I've seen a loooot of "No pets" ads.

And also, what time would be best to contact rental companies about a available apartment? Would it be to early say March/April to start calling around?
One part of me is thinking it's a bit early, the other is thinking that since I'll be moving not long before the start of school (And not to long after some students have graduated) the timing might work well anyway.
Would something like posting a housing wanted ad on Craigslist be a good idea as well?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-28-2010, 01:11 PM
 
Location: Custer, SD
1,582 posts, read 2,916,716 times
Reputation: 1478
Since you are moving from outside the country, I would say March is definitely the time to start looking. Students will leave the area for the summer (those that do leave) in May. In order to find out what pet-friendly apartments will be available, you will want to be on the waiting list(s) before students head out for the summer. You may need to put your deposit down immediately. There is not a huge amount of off-campus housing available, so you need to be on top of things. Unfortunately, there are not a lot of pet-friendly options, so that will narrow your choices substantially.

Try some of these places, in addition to what you see in the paper: Apartments in Spearfish - YELLOWPAGES.COM
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2010, 01:56 PM
 
Location: Lead/Deadwood, SD
948 posts, read 2,592,478 times
Reputation: 855
what no8 said - also sounds like you may end up in a duplex in order to accommodate your kitty. If utilities are not included you can call and get previous tenants averages to make sure you have a better idea of the total costs.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2010, 02:16 PM
 
Location: Black Hills
109 posts, read 227,284 times
Reputation: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by no8fann View Post
Since you are moving from outside the country, I would say March is definitely the time to start looking. Students will leave the area for the summer (those that do leave) in May. In order to find out what pet-friendly apartments will be available, you will want to be on the waiting list(s) before students head out for the summer. You may need to put your deposit down immediately. There is not a huge amount of off-campus housing available, so you need to be on top of things. Unfortunately, there are not a lot of pet-friendly options, so that will narrow your choices substantially.

Try some of these places, in addition to what you see in the paper: Apartments in Spearfish - YELLOWPAGES.COM
Thanks, I'll definitely get started soon then
Yeah, I'm starting to get the hint that the fuzzball will make things harder for me in this department. Crazy cat lady though, don't want to go without her

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric#1 View Post
what no8 said - also sounds like you may end up in a duplex in order to accommodate your kitty. If utilities are not included you can call and get previous tenants averages to make sure you have a better idea of the total costs.
Duplex would work if I found something within my budget range, I'll keep my eyes open Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2010, 05:05 PM
 
Location: The Black Hills, South Dakota
412 posts, read 894,733 times
Reputation: 682
You may also consider renting a small house. I know you want utilities and yard maintenance taken care of, but if you want a place that will allow a pet, you may have to be flexible in terms of what you will accept. Sometimes individual homeowners are more willing to work with you than large management companies.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2010, 11:46 PM
 
Location: Black Hills
109 posts, read 227,284 times
Reputation: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbat View Post
You may also consider renting a small house. I know you want utilities and yard maintenance taken care of, but if you want a place that will allow a pet, you may have to be flexible in terms of what you will accept. Sometimes individual homeowners are more willing to work with you than large management companies.
The utilities bit is just preferable, I don't mind budging as long as it gives me a place to live that allows pets (And doesn't blow my budget completely )

Yeah, I was thinking the same that it might be easier to arrange something with a single person renting out a apartment/house than the companies. I know most companies at least if they have a policy in place they can't exactly override it just cause I say I have a nice kitty
I'm thinking maybe if I posted a housing wanted ad on Craigslist or something like that, it might be a bit easier to come in contact with someone?
Think it's worth a shot?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2010, 08:22 AM
 
Location: Custer, SD
1,582 posts, read 2,916,716 times
Reputation: 1478
Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdyChick View Post
The utilities bit is just preferable, I don't mind budging as long as it gives me a place to live that allows pets (And doesn't blow my budget completely )

Yeah, I was thinking the same that it might be easier to arrange something with a single person renting out a apartment/house than the companies. I know most companies at least if they have a policy in place they can't exactly override it just cause I say I have a nice kitty
I'm thinking maybe if I posted a housing wanted ad on Craigslist or something like that, it might be a bit easier to come in contact with someone?
Think it's worth a shot?
You can try Craigslist, but I honestly don't see it used much here. It's picked up a bit more on the eastern side of the state, but not so much in the hills. Freecycle and the associated cafe groups are the same way, unfortunately. I have not found much in the way of active online "groups" for the northern hills area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2010, 11:55 AM
 
Location: Black Hills
109 posts, read 227,284 times
Reputation: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by no8fann View Post
You can try Craigslist, but I honestly don't see it used much here. It's picked up a bit more on the eastern side of the state, but not so much in the hills. Freecycle and the associated cafe groups are the same way, unfortunately. I have not found much in the way of active online "groups" for the northern hills area.
Ah, quite the same as it's here then. I live in a small town a bit north in Sweden and finding stuff online up here is quite the challenge too.
Oh well, I'll give it a shot. Either way I have the numbers I found before and the ones in the link you gave me
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2010, 01:37 PM
 
Location: Custer, SD
1,582 posts, read 2,916,716 times
Reputation: 1478
Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdyChick View Post
Ah, quite the same as it's here then. I live in a small town a bit north in Sweden and finding stuff online up here is quite the challenge too.
Oh well, I'll give it a shot. Either way I have the numbers I found before and the ones in the link you gave me
Good luck finding a place! If you need a tour guide when you get here, feel free to look me up!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2010, 12:42 PM
 
Location: south dakota
189 posts, read 531,514 times
Reputation: 171
since you have a pet how good is your pet at travel. have you checked to see if there are currently quarantine regulations when entering u.s.for pet and do you need certificate from vet as to any shots you might have to get for pet. as for moving,i agree march good. a lot of people will not rent except in person. this is anywhere in usa. i have traveled by bus a lot in diff. states. and bus stations in major cities and some smaller ones have security which often confiscate stupid stuff such as nail clippers, small scissors,etc. dumb because a person's hands can be a weapon or anything for that matter. airport security probably tighter .if you have someone here that you could mail some things to keep for you til arrival that is a good option. there is an interstate bus that picks up passengers evening at city bus station in rapid city,sd and stops at a service station at edge of spearfish. one goes toward rapid city through spearfish early morn. i would suggest camping in a campground temporary . there are 3 that i know of in spearfish area. chris campground, mountain view and city campground. they have tent camping, rv camping and cabins at mtn. view and chris. cg but no cabins in city cg. prices reasonable and you could spend time hunting for place without wasting time hunting from a distance. there is taxi service in spearfish and storage rentals.

Last edited by pejuta; 03-02-2010 at 12:44 PM.. Reason: left out words
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top