Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 03:49 PM

819 posts, read 1,743,659 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in oviedo fl and moved all over for years. now I live here in RC and love this city and state more than I counld ever put into words.now Iam not sure what to say when asked whats my hometown.I dont think I will pick up and move again so Iam staying put here but for now I have no real history here yet and dont think Ive earned the RC hometown status yet. whatca think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 03:53 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times
You are not the first person to say that about Rapid. Hometown feels comfortable, safe in a way. Where your heart is. Give it time and I am sure Rapid will be your hometown.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:44 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,926,010 times
Hometown is how you feel about the place. It has nothing to do with where you have lived or where you are living. Sometimes people can have several "hometowns". I feel sorry for people who have been forced all their lives to move over and over again and have never felt that feeling of belonging.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:05 AM

1,582 posts, read 3,109,450 times
Let's see...I was born in Grand Forks, ND, then moved to EAFB, SD when I was about 18 months old. When I was 12, we moved from there to the east coast, where I spent time in Connecticut and New York state. I went to college in Illinois, and then I lived 15 years in Indiana. Now, after 25 years away, I am back in the Black Hills. When people ask me where I am from, I always answer South Dakota - and I always have!

Old 03-05-2010, 10:59 AM

451 posts, read 977,046 times
To me, it means safety. I was born in the suburbs of Milwaukee and spent my early twenties in Brookfield. I also lived as an adult in a town in the country and a city of about 70,000. My fondest memories of my home town is honestly safety. As kids, we played red light/green light and kick the can in the alley. We were supposed to come in when the street lights went on, and it always took a few moms shagging us inside to end our games. We had a fort in a field about a half a mile away and spent days playing on the swing set that was just at the edge of the grounds of a, believe it or not, boy's orphanage. We walked two miles away and got "penny candy" (yes, I know...how much further can I possibly date myself).

Today, I moved from parking at the Albertson's to the Safeway because a young man turned his neck to follow where I was going to park. Every time I looked up, I was being watched. Additionally, he was parked in a "get away" position along side of 4 parking spaces versus in a space. With hearing two sirens racing already this morning....I wasn't going to take chances. I found another store.

I loved Rapid City and am looking forward to visiting Sioux Falls. As always, the job obtained will lead us to the area we will live. In Rapid I felt much safer in those three days than I have in years. However, I still have fond, fond feelings for my home.

So, would it be too weird to say I am from Brookfield, South Dakota?? Never mind, I answered my own question. BTW, excellent thread.

Old 03-05-2010, 02:11 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,715,272 times
Hometown is where your roots were formed. I was born in Kearney, NE but I grew up in Rapid City until I was 20 and now I live in the Twin Cities. When I went to Chicago a few weeks ago and people asked me where I was from I had a hard time explaining. I just said, "I live in the Twin Cities but I'm originally from Rapid City, SD." I never even mention Nebraska. The only place that says anything about me being from Nebraska is my Passport.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:26 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
I am from Miller. Plain and simple. I've lived in a lot of different places but Miller is my home. I currently live in the Big Horn Mountains of Wyoming. That's where I want to be. But it's not my home town.

Old 03-11-2010, 05:14 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airboat5 View Post
I was born and raised in oviedo fl and moved all over for years. now I live here in RC and love this city and state more than I counld ever put into words.now Iam not sure what to say when asked whats my hometown.I dont think I will pick up and move again so Iam staying put here but for now I have no real history here yet and dont think Ive earned the RC hometown status yet. whatca think?
Wow, from Oveido to Rapid; that is quite the contrast! About the only thing the two share in common is that they have grown considerable from the towns they were more than 40 yrs. ago.

I agree with the other posters that say your hometown is where your heart abides. If you stay in Rapid long enough and set down meaningful roots for your family and build upon memories there, no doubt it will become your hometown.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:42 AM

230 posts, read 626,407 times
Hi everyone...

I always thought of hometown as where I was raised. For me, that's Cincinnati. I was born and raised there and if someone asks me where I'm from, I always say Cincinnati. I've moved around since being in the Army, but my hometown is always Cincinnati. It's where the majority of my family is from, it's where I got all the things that gave me a base for who I am today, it's the place that no matter how long I'm away from always feels right when I go back, it's where I feel most comfortable and safe. Simplified, it's where I fit.

If you don't have something like that, then I suppose hometown is where you feel "most" like what I described above. My son was born in San Antonio, Texas, then moved to Cincinnati while I was deployed, then moved to Sioux Falls with me when I came back, and we are retiring in Cincinnati. All of that for him was in his first 3 years. So he was born in Texas, but when he grows up, I imagine he will say his hometown is Cincinnati as well.

In my 20+ years in the Army, I have found places that I have loved being and that I could identify with, but the end of my career is coming this year and we bought a house back in Cincinnati. I happy to say, I'm going back to my hometown.

Have a good day everyone !!!

Old 03-12-2010, 09:32 AM

955 posts, read 3,648,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI_Mark View Post
I always thought of hometown as where I was raised.

Yep me too - when I "go home" to visit family - that is my home town - where I grew up and where my roots are!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota