Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2010, 07:55 AM

21 posts, read 56,853 times

Advertisements

good morning everyone. My name is Ashley. I am from philadelphia, Pa. Planning to move to SD soon. I have been there twice and fell in love with the state. Has anyone ever been to woonsocket? I came across this city on the internet but have not been there yet. Seems nice. Any info on it would be lovely. Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 08:29 AM

19,723 posts, read 10,497,140 times
I live in Sanborn County. My kids went to grade school, in Woonsocket. What do you want to know?

Old 03-06-2010, 12:33 PM

I just want to know if it is a nice neighborhood and if it would be worth living in, in your opinion. I get the hint, from their website that it is sort of like the city, but I may be wrong.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:08 PM

19,723 posts, read 10,497,140 times
Woonsocket had a population of 720 people. It's the County Seat, of Sanborn County (estimated population in 2004 was 2626).

Many of the people commute, to Huron., of Mitchell, for employment. They hamve a grocery store, a bank, 2 gas stations, a nursing home, a medical clinic that rotates staff, from Wessington Springs.
There is also a taxidermy supply manufacturing business, formerly known as Van Dykes, (owned by Cabela's,) which recently changed ownership.

{As far as being "like the city", you cannot buy a new pair of shoes, jeans, or a jacket, in this county, LOL. }

Old 03-07-2010, 05:14 PM

hahaha. I guess I should explained myself better. I assume the only metro areas of SD are rapid city and Sioux Falls eh? A community which contains row homes. Hustle and bustle. A lot of money being brought in. I live in Philadelphia right now, I prefer to be in a place where you can't buy a new pair of jeans and so forth. The city life is not for me...but its all about being able to provide for myself and for when I have my own family.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:54 AM

193 posts, read 677,725 times
The town has a website if you haven't searched it already.
City of Woonsocket "The Town with the Beautiful Lake"
Pretty picture on the home page! That always helps

Old 03-12-2010, 05:46 PM

2 posts, read 3,554 times
Hi Ashley. I just move to woonsocket a few weeks ago, all the way from California. Just like you, I'm not a big fan of city life, which makes this little ol town perfect. Like Debey said, there's not much in the way of shopping or fast food (still haven't figured out if this is a good thing or a bad thing). Huron is fairly close, 30 minutes or so. There you have your walmart and grocery stores. Plus a movie theater and a steak house that has the best prime rib in the country! Sioux falls is still not to bad of a drive, 1 1/2 hrs or so. I still haven't made it there yet. Cost of living is super cheap. We opted to buy. Not sure what there is in the area of rentals. They don't advertise very well so its hard to find a place to live without being here. The town itself is in good shape. Some old houses a few with awkward colors, but again, this isn't city life so people paint there house however they want to. Overall I enjoy it here. Good place for a family, schools are great (from what I hear). If you decide you want to move hear, shoot me an email and ill see what's available for rent or for sale. Rj02williams@yahoo.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota