U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2021, 09:42 AM

3 posts, read 4,115 times

Advertisements

If you look at the Beadle County State Attorney Facebook page they list daily arrests. You will see a disturbing majority (and repeat offenders) are ironically carrying surnames from other countries. It has been a major problem in our town. Especially, since a lot are DUIs and drug related offenses. Native Dakotans are not at all happy with what this town has become. I post this to help anyine considering the area. We are transplants here (last 6 years) and are already anxious to leave.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2021, 03:16 PM

1,006 posts, read 365,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelifrank View Post
If you look at the Beadle County State Attorney Facebook page they list daily arrests. You will see a disturbing majority (and repeat offenders) are ironically carrying surnames from other countries. It has been a major problem in our town. Especially, since a lot are DUIs and drug related offenses. Native Dakotans are not at all happy with what this town has become. I post this to help anyine considering the area. We are transplants here (last 6 years) and are already anxious to leave.
Just be happy you don't see homeless on every corner like on the west coast. Can't blame you for wanting to leave. It seems the town has stayed the same size for decades as one specific group is leaving like rats from a sinking ship.

Old 05-02-2021, 04:50 AM

10,206 posts, read 9,556,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelifrank View Post
Mind tell where you moved there from?

Old 05-02-2021, 08:26 AM

4,005 posts, read 5,409,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
Just be happy you don't see homeless on every corner like on the west coast. Can't blame you for wanting to leave. It seems the town has stayed the same size for decades as one specific group is leaving like rats from a sinking ship.
Back in the mid 50's the first 10 populated counties in SD were listed in that order of residents as to their license plate numbers. At THAT time Beadle County (Huron) was the 4th most populous county in SD. That's why their license plate started with the number 4.

Nowadays the county's plates are still numbered with the same old number as back then, but the numbering sequence has little to do with today's population mix. Beadle County still has the 4 as their license plate prefix, even though this county has lost so many residents that it's now 11th in population in the state and sinking.

Old 05-02-2021, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Back in the mid 50's the first 10 populated counties in SD were listed in that order of residents as to their license plate numbers. At THAT time Beadle County (Huron) was the 4th most populous county in SD. That's why their license plate started with the number 4.

Nowadays the county's plates are still numbered with the same old number as back then, but the numbering sequence has little to do with today's population mix. Beadle County still has the 4 as their license plate prefix, even though this county has lost so many residents that it's now 11th in population in the state and sinking.
We really are not shrinking in population. It is that the other towns are growing in size. We have got an amazing amount on new residents in the last 10-15 years but we are having just as many leave.

It is amazing to see how much the town has gone down hill. I do a lot of walking and houses are really run down and not taken care of like in the past.

Old Today, 08:11 PM

10,206 posts, read 9,556,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
We really are not shrinking in population. It is that the other towns are growing in size. We have got an amazing amount on new residents in the last 10-15 years but we are having just as many leave.

It is amazing to see how much the town has gone down hill. I do a lot of walking and houses are really run down and not taken care of like in the past.

We've been here a week looking at houses. There are really nice neighbor hoods and there are some pretty slummy areas. That's typical in my opinion. There are very few houses for sale and they all move fast. We'll probably end up on the lake... overall it looks like a nice country town

Last edited by my54ford; Today at 08:24 PM..

Old Today, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
[/b]

We've been here a week looking at houses. There are really nice neighbor hoods and there are some pretty slummy areas. That's typical in my opinion. There are very few houses for sale and they all move fast. We'll probably end up on the lake... overall it looks like a nice county town
The lake area is one of the nicer areas.

The town was much nicer overall 20 years ago. Been going down hill super fast the last 10 years.

I hope you like it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota