U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 05:20 PM

21 posts, read 53,030 times

Advertisements

What does everyone think of Huron SD? Positive and/or negative thoughts welcome.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 07:15 AM

4,005 posts, read 5,409,679 times
Huron's a pretty safe community to live in. It gets a bad rap when compared to the other larger (around 10,000 population and up) communities. It's biggest handicap is it's location. 2 interstates cross SD and pass by most of the larger communities helping them attract more jobs. Access to Huron from the interstate system has killed it's growth.

Huron's one point of pride is that it's still the location of the SD State Fair although there has been a pretty big push to have that relocated as well.

It would rank pretty low on my town-o-meter as to places I'd like to live.

Hopefully you like pheasant hunting, as Huron is in the area where some of the best hunting ground is.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:23 AM

479 posts, read 1,431,930 times
I live there. I grew up near there, and never imagined I'd end up there. But for the most part, I like it. Is there something specific you'd like to know about?

Old 03-08-2010, 09:50 AM

Well, my boyfriend and I were thinking of relocating to Woonsocket SD. I researched that community, realized its a nice community but not much there. I was told that Huron held quite a few stores, banks, and so forth. I love fishing and hunting, although I never been pheasant hunting.

From all the forums on this site, people make Huron sound like a pretty crappy neighborhood full of violence. I believe any part of SD would be lovely to live in compared to PA. haha. City life is not for me. I have been to SD quite a few times, and fell in love with it. Only issue is, I fell in love with quite a few of the cities, not just one particular place.

Any information on Huron would be great leroyleroux. I mean, like basic info. Nice community, good jobs, nice people, nice school? I been doing my own research. I want to make sure I get enough info to prepare me and Tim (the boyfriend.)

we plan to go out to visit some of the places before we even consider looking at houses, because some places, like Huron and Woonsocket we never been to. I don't want to walk into something, that I haven't seen and regret it later.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:00 AM

479 posts, read 1,431,930 times
Yeah, Woonsocket is a pretty small town. For most things you would either run to Mitchell or Huron.

Huron has gotten a lot of attention in the last year and a half, as there have been a total of four murders (which is huge in a town of 12,000). Don't get the wrong impression though. These were individual incidents and not a trend (at least I hope).

I can't really comment on the schools as we don't have any experience with them. We used to have Huron College, but they were bought out by an Indian reservation, then subsequently closed. This is just my personal opinion, but overall service at a lot of places suffer because of this.

I think for the most part the people are nice, but you kind of have to take the first step in meeting people.

As far as jobs, there always seem to be openings in the paper, but you might not make as much as other places, but the cost of living is much cheaper. Someone from Atlanta told me I could expect to pay three times what we paid for our house.

Anything else, just let me know.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:51 PM

86 posts, read 251,163 times
Just throwin my two cents into the hat.

If you like hunting and fishing, Huron is a fantastic place to live. My grandma has lived there as long as I can remember, and we make the trip back there every opening pheasant hunting season and it's a blast.

The town has everything anyone would need, and a recent turkey plant (I believe) has revived the town.

On a side note, The Tailgate is my grandma's favorite restaurant, so you'll have to hit that up sometime.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:56 AM

Well the main thing I am worried about is being semi-close to a hospital, school, and grocery store. As long as Huron has these, then I wouldn't mind living in Woonsocket. I come from Philadelphia, PA, Living here, its always hustle hustle hustle. Life in the city, even country side is so fast paced. When I have visted SD, its always nice and calm, peaceful.

I understand I may have to commute to work, even drive a little to the stores and so forth. As long as the important places are not like an hour away. And the crime rate isn't too bad. Which to be honest, 4 murders in a year, is nothing compared to philly. I don't want to start a family in PA. Neither does my boyfriend. We both fell in love with SD's family friendly communities.

I love hunting and love love fishing. I have been fishing since I was about 7 yrs old. So it works out in my favor. During the mid spring, early summer, fishing is my favorite pass time. I do not know when SD's fishing season starts, but I know how to get my hands on all that info, that is no problem. Thank you guys for the info.

andyroo...when I come to visit Woonsocket and Huron before we make our final decision, I will def check out The Tailgate restaurant. Thanks for the recommendation.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:45 AM

193 posts, read 615,824 times
You might want to research Mitchell a little more, it's only 10 more miles away than Huron, and it's a nice SD "city" with more interesting things to do there. The Corn Palace is there, along with a drive-in movie theater (I think it's still running in the summer ?). You may have better luck with jobs and pay, if you were looking at the pharmacy tech position (you posted elsewhere), there is a few more medical center options. Huron isn't bad either, don't get me wrong. I think it will just depend what you like, but you're right in the middle of both, so you could go either way.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:50 AM

27,157 posts, read 35,066,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raean View Post
You might want to research Mitchell a little more, it's only 10 more miles away than Huron, and it's a nice SD "city" with more interesting things to do there. The Corn Palace is there, along with a .
Home to the worlds largest bird feeder.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:52 PM

thanks guys for the advice. Its greatly appreciated. Its so hard to chose. meh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota