Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 07:02 PM
ODF ODF started this thread

5 posts, read 8,361 times

Advertisements

I am a junior in high school in Oregon right now, but am looking at Northern state U in Aberdeen. I was wondering if anyone had any information regarding establishing residency in order to off set of out-of-state tuition costs? There was another thread here talking about stating your intent to live in Sd long term, and that that was how you established residency. Not by remaining for 365 consecutive days prior to enrolling in classes, etc. So my question is, if before I attend NSU, say in July of next year, I change my mailing adress, obtain a Sd drivers license, renounce my Oregon residency, and say rent an appartment, will I be considered a SD resident, or at least one for schooling purposes. And if it helps, I actually think I do have intent to live in Sd long term, so I wouldn't be just taking advantage of something. Thank You.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 10:26 AM
dpf

132 posts, read 316,199 times
Become a Resident of South Dakota - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

If it works for RVers it should work for you.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:52 AM

4,861 posts, read 6,926,010 times
I would contact the Registrar's office at NSU and have them provide you with all current requirements.

Good luck.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:30 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,718,453 times
I'm curious to know why you're considering attending school there? Do they have a unique major/program that's of interest.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:15 AM

Well, one reason I am looking there is because I am in love with the plains. I have spent part of my last eight Decembers in Northern Kansas, and it is amazing. The schools in kansas are far too expensive for an out of stater. I want to teach high school science or history, and they seem to have a good education degree. It seems like a great town, and a pretty solid school, and relatively inexpensive. It is actually tied for my number two school with Montana State Northern. My number one is Montana Western (I also am in love with the Rockies), becasue of their entirely unique block scheduling program and the setting and the speed at which that area of the state moves. So I can't say that one thing just jumped out to me about NSU, just that it fits alot of the criteria I have and I don't see much going against it. Not to mention the fact that I am an avid pheasant, duck, and goose hunter....And fisherman, both fly (which isn't Aberdeen) and spin fishing.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:36 AM

4,861 posts, read 6,926,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODF View Post
Well, one reason I am looking there is because I am in love with the plains. I have spent part of my last eight Decembers in Northern Kansas, and it is amazing. The schools in kansas are far too expensive for an out of stater. I want to teach high school science or history, and they seem to have a good education degree. It seems like a great town, and a pretty solid school, and relatively inexpensive. It is actually tied for my number two school with Montana State Northern. My number one is Montana Western (I also am in love with the Rockies), becasue of their entirely unique block scheduling program and the setting and the speed at which that area of the state moves. So I can't say that one thing just jumped out to me about NSU, just that it fits alot of the criteria I have and I don't see much going against it. Not to mention the fact that I am an avid pheasant, duck, and goose hunter....And fisherman, both fly (which isn't Aberdeen) and spin fishing.
If you're looking into a teaching career. NSU is a good choice. Pretty much their specialty.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:30 PM

22 posts, read 83,585 times
Contact the school and ask. Residency requirements for getting in-state tuition are usually far greater than residency requirements for any other purpose.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:32 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,718,453 times
It sounds like you have your act together, good luck to you. For what it's worth, unless history is a real passion, teach science. Math and science, you'd be giving yourself the best opportunity to get hired. Especially the way things are going these days, with layoffs. Try to ensure yourself a job.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
It sounds like you have your act together, good luck to you. For what it's worth, unless history is a real passion, teach science. Math and science, you'd be giving yourself the best opportunity to get hired. Especially the way things are going these days, with layoffs. Try to ensure yourself a job.

You mirror what my parents are telling me. If I had my choice, I would major in Science and get endorsed in History, or vie versa, just to make myself that much more promotable. I used to love science, and I have taken two ap classes in it so far, both of which I got low B's in. They were a real struggel. What I wonder is that should I focus on something that is my passion and is honestly an easier degree, and lose some chances of hiring, or should I focus on the one that I'm not as passionate about (But still like), and have a much higher risk of failing in the program anyways, before I even make it out. So that is my main dilema. In answer to your question, history, and specifically geography, are my passions. If I could teach a geography of the American West class, I would be stoked. But there aren't too many geography only teachers in highschools.

Old 04-01-2010, 04:01 AM

509 posts, read 1,349,664 times
I have a degree in American History with a geography minor but I did not get my teaching classes taken in college, so now that degree is kind of worthless unless I get a Master's Degree. Most jobs that I see posted are for Social Science teachers, (i.e. Geography, History, Government, etc). Most schools don't have a dedicated history or geography teacher, they lump it into one class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota