Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2010, 04:32 PM

509 posts, read 1,673,782 times

Advertisements

We are still considering moving to South Dakota at some point. I have been watching your winter this year. I know it has been bad for awhile this year. Could someone tell me how many snow or bad weather days you have had this winter, and were employers considerate of this. Do they expect you to come to work in all kinds of weather. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 06:30 PM

948 posts, read 2,780,329 times
If the roads are open I always go to work. "Bad" weather is relative. I live in the snowiest town in the state and school only gets called off about 3-8 days a year. So that gives you an idea, if the kids can be at school you bet most employers will expect you make it too work. Some employers are "sympathetic" to days missed due to weather, but as my sister said the other day, when times are tough, calling in due to nasty conditions more often than others will put your job in jeopardy first come layoff time.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:38 AM

19 posts, read 49,910 times
My friends live and work in Sioux Falls, (I have plans to move there myself and am from there) and employers don't expect you to risk your life to get to work. However, roads are typically cleared and de-iced quickly and made safe for intra-city travel as the city is well trained by now how to deal with the climate. If you are going to be traveling from a bit outside of the city, if you call someone to come in for you who can get there on time and safer it usually isn't a problem for the bossman as long as someone shows up. That's what my mother used to do if she couldn't make her commute. If you move there, you'll find you will get used to the weather too, and plan travel time according to the weather, and it'll become a piece of cake!

Old 04-13-2010, 11:42 AM

3,940 posts, read 14,670,495 times
Weather usually doesn't keep businesses from operating unless the entire city closes due to a blizzard. If you can't make it into work until your street is cleared or you shovel your driveway to get your car out of the garage, most employers are understanding. Sometimes businesses open later too.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:23 PM

203 posts, read 709,708 times
What I was told is unless the city puts out a warning for no unnecessary travel, then you go to work. Bad weather is a relative term. Last year when we first moved here, every time it snowed a little heavily I would ask, "is this a blizzard?" The response was, "Nope, you'll know because the roads will close and unnecessary travel will be announced." They were right. Of course after a blizzard, employers will be understanding if you can come in because there is a 6 foot snow drift in front of your garage, chances are everyone is in the same position.

When I lived in San Diego, people would cancel their appointment if there was any rain period.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:51 AM

1,582 posts, read 3,097,648 times
If you can't make it to work because the roads in your area are impassable, you will be expected to use vacation time or sick leave, or make the time up. What may seem like terrible weather elsewhere is just typical weather here. The communities are prepared for it, and function regardless. Now, if there is no power, then you will most likely not be expected to report. The general consensus is that if everyone else can get to work, you'd better have a very good reason for not being able to - not just that driving in snow intimidates you! If that's the case, make arrangements beforehand for someone you work with to pick you up! (Yes, people here will still do that!) They may still make fun of your sorry behind for being too chicken to drive in the snow, but you will still have a job!

Old 04-15-2010, 07:08 PM

819 posts, read 1,737,682 times
I missed less days here than in fl and texas because of bad weather this year.good luck to you on your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota