Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2010, 08:34 PM

1 posts, read 9,018 times

Advertisements

I am an Australian woman travelling through USA with my 10 year old daughter during winter. I am hiring a car in Colorado Springs to drive up to South Dakota to see Mount Rushmore, then across the state and down to Kansas City. Planning on 8 days in early December. Is this a reasonable plan at this time of the year? I am not used to snow in winter. Should I expect some? Will I need chains? Any advice valued. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 10:49 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,711,936 times
That seems like a really odd time to travel but I'm sure you have your reasons. It's hard to tell what the weather will be like that time of year. It may be sunny and mild and you could have absolutely no troubles, or there could be snowstorms the entire way.

Driving from Colorado to South Dakota means you have to go through Wyoming which is very sparsely populated and has hardly any services. It also means taking several small highways instead of one main Interstate Highway. The drive from Rapid City to Kansas City would be all Interstate Highway, but the drive from Colorado to Rapid City is only Interstate Highway to Cheyenne, WY.

Have you considered flying from Denver to Rapid City, renting a car in Rapid City, then traveling to Kansas City? There are daily flights between Rapid City and Denver at reasonable costs.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:49 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,045,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
- snip -Driving from Colorado to South Dakota means you have to go through Wyoming which is very sparsely populated and has hardly any services. It also means taking several small highways instead of one main Interstate Highway. The drive from Rapid City to Kansas City would be all Interstate Highway, but the drive from Colorado to Rapid City is only Interstate Highway to Cheyenne, WY.
It's not that bad. Specially if you stay on the Interstate.

Cheyenne to Chugwater 44 miles.
Chugwater to Wheatland 25 miles.
Wheatland to Glendo 37 miles.
Glendo to Orin Junction to Lusk 57 miles. (If Orin Junction is not open)
Lusk to Edgemont via Mule Creek Junction 70 miles.
Edgemont to Custer 40 miles.
Custer to Hill City 16 miles. (You pass Crazy Horse and Mount Rushmore areas)
Hill City to Rapid City 18 miles.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ All of these places have fuel available 24/7.

Total of 311 miles. To take the short cut that has very little for help or assistance is still 293 miles. So, with Interstate speeds vrs Highway speeds, you save nothing by taking the short route.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:42 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,227,349 times
Regarding chains, I wouldn't bother with them. Generally, before the roads get so bad you need chains, the highway department closes them. Chains are good for getting around town when the snow is deep or for getting over a mountain pass, but you won't be in any mountains and probably not in towns much. They're really the pits for highway driving.

I'd suggest you get a good weather forecast and some road reports before renting your car in Denver. If it sounds iffy, consider renting a 4x4/all-wheel drive, but for highway driving I wouldn't worry about it either way.

Early December in the midwest can be anywhere from warm (50 F) and sunny to cold (-20F) and snowy. Winds can also be fierce at times throughout the winter. In fact, the roads are as likely to close because of strong winds blowing snow as they are because of snowfall. I'd guess your chances of no serious weather problems along your route are 70-80%, and your chances of actually being snowed in somewhere for more than a few hours are less than 10%.

It's a good idea to pack some survival gear in your car, because it can happen that you get stranded on the road during a severe storm and have to spend a day in your car. That's very rare, but it's an ever present winter danger, especially in Wyoming and South Dakota. You'll have your suitcase, so you should be okay for clothing/blankets. Just add some snacks, water, and maybe a couple candles. A shovel is a good idea too.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:15 PM

2 posts, read 14,864 times
I think that traveling to Mount Rushmore in December is a bad idea. First you have the high altitude- that alone does it. Then, this is South Dakota-anything can happen in December. You may want to reconsider a different time-unless you really have to go. Its not going to be a very fun vacation if you are snowed in for a few days. If you want to go see Mount Rushmore with snow still on the ground, you have a better chance of getting to and from there in late Febuary, early March. My time would be when the leaves are starting to turn color and the air is crisp, like in October.[/quote]

Old 04-19-2010, 05:16 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,761,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizards22 View Post
I think that traveling to Mount Rushmore in December is a bad idea. First you have the high altitude- that alone does it. Then, this is South Dakota-anything can happen in December. You may want to reconsider a different time-unless you really have to go. Its not going to be a very fun vacation if you are snowed in for a few days. If you want to go see Mount Rushmore with snow still on the ground, you have a better chance of getting to and from there in late Febuary, early March. My time would be when the leaves are starting to turn color and the air is crisp, like in October.
[/quote]
Mt Rushmore roads are usually cleared in a timely manner and the monument is open year around. The Central hills get snow, but northern hills get more snow.

I wouldn't worry. There are a few roads like the needles highway is closed, no wintertime maintenance that is about the only highway closed in the wintertime.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:36 PM

163 posts, read 428,445 times
I grew up in the southern US and spent several years living in Rapid City, SD. If you are not used to snow, then no, I would not recommend traveling through this area during December. As others have said, the weather is a gamble; it is just as likely to be sunny as it is to be a foot of snow. Of course, if you are willing to chance it and would be okay experiencing a blizzard, then go for it! If nothing else, assess the weather situation when you are in Colorado Springs and plan for the worst, just in case. I'm really not trying to talk you out of visiting the area- I loved it there! But if you aren't used to wind and snow, it can be a little scary trying to drive through those conditions. Even if it isn't snowing, if there is snow on the ground and there are high winds, there is a chance the blowing snow can create ground blizzards. Whatever you decide, good luck and godspeed.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:20 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,278,566 times
If you've driven in snow before, don't worry about it. If you haven't, I wouldn't risk it. Keep in mind winter temps in that part of the country get much colder then anywhere in Australia. Make sure to prepare for that just in case. They will often close huge sections of the interstate along with state highways down if a storm carries enough wind with it. That's more likely to happen in Late Dec, Jan, and Feb, but it can happen in early Dec too.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:25 AM

3 posts, read 14,544 times
I'm a Law Enforcement Officer in the Black Hills. Lots of people get themselves stuck during blizzards because the weather changes fast and can get nasty. The snow can accumulate quickly, which will slow traffic and cause some roads to be unpassable. Even the interstate gets affected. The over pass of the interstate causes snow to drift on the highway, creating a barricade of snow on the highway. Its not unusual for the snow to build up faster than plows can keep the roads clear. Also, it tends to be really windy here. The blowing snow during a blizzard creates what we call a "white out." Thats when visibility is so poor, you can barely see past the hood of your car. So imagine that you can't see very far and the ground is covered with snow, meaning you cannot see the edges of the road. Being from out of town means you don't konw exactly where the road is. Many people (locals and visitors) get stuck in snow drifts or in ditches on side the road during these conditions. I've seen every type of vehicle get stuck, from small cars, 4x4 vehicles, even plows get stuck sometimes. 4 wheels drive doesn't help when the vehicle has 10 inches of ground clearance and there is 28 inches of snow on the grown. When the frame and suspension start dragging through thick wet snow, it will get stuck. Now keep in mind that cities and towns are much further apart in this region of the country. Cell phone coverage across the plains is not very good like what you will find in bigger metro areas. Many people that get stuck are stuck for a while before help arrives. Tempratures and wind chills get down below zero F, especially at night. This can be a deadly situation for stranded motorist. My advice is to check weather forecast before and during your trip. Know what services are provided in the towns you will be passing through and the biggest of all, it we issue a "NO TRAVEL ADVISORY" then don't travel. Its for your safety and ours. We don't like getting stuck trying to rescue someone who is stuck.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:24 AM

400 posts, read 1,238,064 times
Also, please keep in mind that you will be in the black hills, hence, spotty cell coverage due to the terrain. And even the locals have troubles driving sometimes when we get a little ice under the snow and you're driving on changing grades.
I like the idea of flying, renting a car for sightseeing, checking weather forcasts and possibly flying out again if you have any doubts at all.
I have grown up in South Dakota and I don't leave the house some days after watching the weather forcast. If you have never driven in snow before the black hills are not the place to learn....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota