Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 08:20 PM

151 posts, read 326,308 times

Advertisements

I am wondering what the feelings are of recent transplants to the Black Hills.
I have been cruising through other states here on the forum & finding a LOT of folks unhappy with their new hometowns! (YIKES)
We are planning a trip there as a fact finding mission, thinking the area fits our "bill" nicely. We are VERY familiar with the climate & have been devoting a lot of time & energy into researching the area.
It's hard to know very much about the people who actually live in an area - are they friendly & helpful? Stand-off-ish?
The job market there appears better than where we are living now, by looking @ the newspapers & the Dept of labor website, but the internet can only tell you so much, you know?

So I would like some first-hand observations, if you please.
Any expressions of shock
Moments of surprise (good & bad)
Are you SO glad you made the change?
Do you hate it- can't wait to leave & if so, may I rent your place, if it's a nice one! ?
Anything you want to share, please fill us in.
I am remembering the people there as being so helpful & friendly. The area is beautiful, but are there lots of bugs? Did you move there to discover there are NO rentals that take pets....any thing you feel like sharing will be helpful! Are there things we need to know so we may not be shocked, or disappointed.
We are not looking for perfect, but pleasant & nice people can overcome a lot of other stuff for us!
Thanks in advance for any heads-up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 09:07 PM

6 posts, read 17,437 times
We moved out here from S. CA to Spearfish almost 2 years ago. CA is crumbling and it was time to get out! So far it's been a positive experience. We like outdoors activities (biking, skiing, camping, golfing, hiking) and there is PLENTY of that to do around here. Small-town life is a bit different.

Shock: price of a good beer is still over $4.

Surprise: whether your house is on a north-facing slope or south-facing REALLY matters in January! The brewery up here is outstanding. World-class mtn-biking and the Dakota Five-O is a fantastic event that showcases the trails. Really surprised nobody has opened up a homebrew store with the prices of beer around here!

Overall, we're glad we moved. Sometimes we wonder, but that's usually about the 3rd or 4th week of 10 degree weather and ice! But we are reassured that these 2 winters have been quite a challenge and we've survived pretty well.

I'm glad we moved to Spearfish. I had looked in Rapid, but never really liked the layout and vibe. I'm sure it's just a matter of getting used to. I'm just glad "my" opportunity opened in Spearfish.

There are misquitos, but again, "they" say it has been unusual because of the amount of moisture lately.

It WAS difficult to find a rental with pets, but we really lucked out. Good luck with that!

Like anything, it takes time. Interesting observation about the comments on these boards disliking their new towns. Maybe it's because "we're" green-fencers? Grass is always greener?

Well, we're super cool, so if you're in the area and like to buy people beer, drop a line!

Hope that helped!?! I frequented these boards before we moved.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:01 PM

We're not SURE about Rapid, but will be looking at the area as a whole next month. Unfortunately we have very little time there, so we are asking lots of ??? here & doing as much via internet as possible.
At least I know we need to bring beer money, thanks for the heads up there!
I grew up in Sioux Falls, I now remember the south facing as being important!
Our winter here in the Cascades are similar, yet Dakota will be a bit colder, and last a bit longer.
We enjoy a small town, I think it's gonna be a great fit.
I have to agree lots of us are green-fencers, I am looking forward to blooming where I get planted & enjoying the ride!
PS - do you know any dentists in the area? ( just wondering about the name!)

Old 04-20-2010, 08:28 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,857,159 times
What kind of jobs are you looking for? Most of the people in S D are friendly, not standoffish. If you don't like snow and tough weather, take a look at Hot Springs. They have a mini climate there that appeals to many people.
uh

Old 04-20-2010, 08:35 PM

That's good to know, thanks!
We are both willing to do most any job, just to get out of Oregon!
We have owned our own retail bead store for 6 years & we design our own jewelry.
We both have very diverse work experiences - he in heavy equipment for many years, but really does not want to go back to that, so probably retail or some other service type industry. He works @ our local ski resort in teh winter now, so maybe Terry Peak?
I have lots of history in child care, retail, barista, fast food, cleaning services, hotel clerk & on & on!
I think work may be the least of our worries (but, alas he is a worrier!) ~ Thanks ~

Old 04-21-2010, 08:55 AM

1,582 posts, read 3,110,038 times
Sounds like Lead-Deadwood area might suit you. Touristy, but a nice community year-round. Lots of tourism based work, obviously. You will probably need to get a gaming license for some of it, but you would probably also find a venue for your jewelry, especially if you started using native materials. People go nuts for that stuff up there! The climate is a bit iffy - still snow in Deadwood and Lead, but if you come down off the mountain, it's a bit more temperate.

Spearfish would probably suit you, too, though it's a bit more pricey to live there. Cozy little college town that sees a lot of activity in the summer. There are a few open storefronts in the downtown area, too.

People as a rule - speaking as a recent re-transplant - are accepting and open if you are respectful and friendly. Had a bit of a time finding a church - went to one for three weeks before anyone said hello - but finally did find one that welcomed us immediately. We really have adapted well to being here, and I know we made the right decision. If you have specific questions, feel free to dm me!

Last edited by no8fann; 04-21-2010 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: added info

Old 04-21-2010, 02:21 PM

948 posts, read 2,792,420 times
I have to correct No8 - (sorry) - on a common misnomer. Although we do have way more snow up here it is actually more temperate than the rest of the state with warmer temps in the winter and cooler ones in the summer. Lead/Deadwood has way fewer sub-zero temps in the winter and it is extremely rare to reach 100 deg days in summer. Another reason for the long stay of snow is the steep north facing slopes that rarely see the sun. We do have a much shorter growing season due to night time freezing in spring and fall.

Last edited by eric#1; 04-21-2010 at 03:14 PM..

Old 04-28-2010, 01:06 PM

16 posts, read 37,717 times
Hello! We just recently relocated to the area. We love some things and dislike others. We are VERY small town people so the pace of Rapid City was an adjustment. On the other hand it is very nice to have Target and a mall nearby instead of the two hour drive we are used to.
We have one small dog and had some trouble trying to find a place to rent. And YES we have an apartment that we are looking to vacate very soon in the quiet Summerset area. It is a two bedroom that is on par with the nicer massive apartment complexes in Rapid but about $300-$500 less a month and much quieter. Please DM me if you would like more information!
I've been looking for a part time job while I get my business up and running and have found it difficult. The jobs that are available will probably be paying a bit less than you might be used to. In fact there was an article in yesterday's paper about SD being the lowest wage state in the US. However it is a much lower cost of living than we are used to in almost all departments (groceries, insurance etc.)
All in all we are happy to be here and anxious to build a life here once we get adjusted in our businesses and area we want to live. Let me know if I can give you any more information. Good luck!

Old 04-28-2010, 05:09 PM

43 posts, read 98,718 times
You should visit first if you can. If not go for it. I will tell you jobs are a little hard to come by.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:57 PM

6 posts, read 17,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripphome View Post
PS - do you know any dentists in the area? ( just wondering about the name!)
yep. fix 'em, and sometimes pull 'em!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota