Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2010, 07:36 PM

19 posts, read 66,627 times

Advertisements

can the winters in SD be as bad as the summers in Florida ? I've never seen snow (yet) but we are looking into relocating. Definitley looking for a less densly populated place (with a change of seasons - Florida only has summer). The family and I are planning a trip to check out the area this Fall, but we won't be there for snowfall. Is it really that rough ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 08:27 PM

1,582 posts, read 3,109,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysmoore View Post
can the winters in SD be as bad as the summers in Florida ? I've never seen snow (yet) but we are looking into relocating. Definitley looking for a less densly populated place (with a change of seasons - Florida only has summer). The family and I are planning a trip to check out the area this Fall, but we won't be there for snowfall. Is it really that rough ?
When in the fall - being here in the fall doesn't preclude snowfall!

Old 05-04-2010, 08:35 PM

19 posts, read 66,627 times
Well it may be the end of summer or early fall August / September. I've been looking around at average temps and I can't wait. It's already passing 90 here in central Florida. Just waiting on my wife to finish school so we can move.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:39 PM

188 posts, read 938,545 times
I for one do not miss central Florida, I lived and worked in Kissimmee, FL for 3 years in the late 1990's. In the Summers it's too hot plus the 3 years I lived there you could always smell the smoke from all the forest fires that were burning, plus you have all the tourist coming to visit all of the local hot spots, in the Winter it's too hot plus you have all of the snowbirds that come down and takes over the area from October-March. It just seem like it was always hot, and you never got a break from the rat race plus the cost of living was just crazy compare to the salaries available in the area.

We were in Sioux Falls in April, it was cold and even had ice one night we were there and the temp was 40-50's. The only snow we saw on the ground was when we went to Walnut Grove, MN and it was all over the ground next to the roads. I except that it does snow alot in the fall, winter and spring in South Dakota and We'll looking forward to it since we prefer the cold weather to the heat, Last Christmas I remember that Sioux Falls got like 6 feet of snow that Weekend or one of the Weekends close to the holiday.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:30 AM

4,861 posts, read 6,926,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysmoore View Post
Well it may be the end of summer or early fall August / September. I've been looking around at average temps and I can't wait. It's already passing 90 here in central Florida. Just waiting on my wife to finish school so we can move.
When you arrive in South Dakota, especially the eastern area, in late July or August, don't expect to bathe in the nice cool weather. During those months we regularly get temps in the 90's and 100's with 80% to 90% humidity. By September it still may be hot, but the evenings usually cool down.

As to our winters, they will seem a lot worse to you than they are to us. You'll get used to it after a while and yes, sometimes the weather is awful.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:04 AM

400 posts, read 1,238,339 times
Alot depends on where you are planning to visit in South Dakota around the end of August or beginning of September. Likely it will be hot during the day and cooler in the evenings. The real crap shoot is where you are and what the weather there will be doing. For example, it is usually warmer in the black hills in the winter time but they tend to get considerably more snow, it just doesn't last as long. While Sioux Falls, eastern SD, doesn't usually get snow as often as the black hills, it sticks around a lot longer. I was living in Sioux Falls up until the middle of February this year. Over Christmas/New Years the Sioux Falls area got 20" of snow that stuck around until nearly the middle of March.
Spring is beautiful but variable, one day might be 70 degrees and you might not see that again for more than a week.
Summer is usually hot but nice.
Fall is kind of like spring.
One other thing to remember is that the wind never seems to stop blowing, ever. And we don't consider anything under 15mph to be wind, that's a breeze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota