Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2010, 06:12 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,336,683 times

Advertisements

Do you think that there are other dimensions? Could there be a planet that exists withing another dimension with life on it? I've been reading up on the string theory and that theory seems to support this idea. It is very very difficult to understand as it has to do with theoretical physics I guess and math was never my strong point.
Do you think humans will ever discover how to travel at the speed of light? I don't see how any real space exploration is going to be possible unless this can ever be accomplished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 01:24 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,352,896 times
Several theories discuss extradimensional possibilities. Several dimensions may exist , but they would be infinitely small according to one theory. Regarding planets/life , there may exist , in an alternate universe , setups of matter similar to what we observe. On that note , the current laws of physics may not even apply in an alternate universe/dimension. Gravity may trump the strong EM force , or may exist as a 'substance' , similar to 'quantum foam' theory. Recently , there have emerged theories of this universe existing as a brane , the latter being a 'bubble' in the foam. The inflation theory has been , to the extent of current technology/physics , 'proven' correct , but we will never know unless humanity grows up and manages to persist for millions of years henceforth. If you are truly seeking up to date advice , and not trolling , google Large Hadron Collider , which is located at CERN in Switzerland. The researchers there are attempting to answer - again , with current technologies - some of your queries , and many more. The collider operates by colliding subatomics at speeds approaching 99%C. C- light speed. Regarding lightspeed travel , that would only be feasible in either a 10LY radius of Sol , one way colonization trips , or travels confined to this system. Someone else will arrive to answer your question with additional information.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etacarinae View Post
Several theories discuss extradimensional possibilities. Several dimensions may exist , but they would be infinitely small according to one theory. Regarding planets/life , there may exist , in an alternate universe , setups of matter similar to what we observe. On that note , the current laws of physics may not even apply in an alternate universe/dimension. Gravity may trump the strong EM force , or may exist as a 'substance' , similar to 'quantum foam' theory. Recently , there have emerged theories of this universe existing as a brane , the latter being a 'bubble' in the foam. The inflation theory has been , to the extent of current technology/physics , 'proven' correct , but we will never know unless humanity grows up and manages to persist for millions of years henceforth. If you are truly seeking up to date advice , and not trolling , google Large Hadron Collider , which is located at CERN in Switzerland. The researchers there are attempting to answer - again , with current technologies - some of your queries , and many more. The collider operates by colliding subatomics at speeds approaching 99%C. C- light speed. Regarding lightspeed travel , that would only be feasible in either a 10LY radius of Sol , one way colonization trips , or travels confined to this system. Someone else will arrive to answer your question with additional information.
Why would I be trolling about a subject like this. Does my post even sound like a post created by a trollThanks for the rest of your info though. I will google it.

Last edited by KylieEve; 08-25-2010 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: .

Old 08-25-2010, 10:00 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,352,896 times
Reason being that there have been some religious zealots inquiring here , then upon receipt of information , start quoting bible verses and telling all of us we are 'going to hell'. If you were offended , apologies.

Upon first read , it did sound a tad like that , but I failed to recall several of your queries in other topics here. So , therein lies the error , on my part.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:27 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
By other dimensions exactly what do you mean...?

According to superstring theory (of the 6 theories) there are between 10 and 26 dimensions, the four we know (physical space and time) and another 6 or another 26 (in the bosonic theory).

However if by dimension you mean a separated universe from our own then the Many Worlds Interpretation (or sub-classifications such as many minds etc.) is pretty mainstream in Quantum physics, as a mechanism for solving quantum decoherence.

In laymans terms if we take Schrodinger's cat (cat in a box with a randomly timed poison pill) then when the observer collapses the wave function of the cat, then there are two histories created, one with the cat alive and one with the cat dead. This applies to all wavefunction collapses, thus there are "universes" for every quantum outcome. Many Worlds eliminates the role of the observer in the result of the outcome (the main source of correlation paradox), since there are for Schrodinger's Cat two outcomes there are two "universes" that diverge from that point, one with Pickles alive and well, and one requiring a funeral for Pickles since there is one observer at the start of the experiment, but there are two observers at the result.

Now when you consider that a quantum wavefunction includes all matter we perceive (including ourselves) since all matter is merely a superposition of the wave functions of the quanta that the matter consists of, this leads us to interesting philosophical questions, that have been discussed in more and less accurate terms in a number of science fiction publications.

However... The fundamental laws of physics will apply identically across all universes in this multiverse.

The corollary of this could include consciousness being a requirement for universal existence (von Neumann/Wigner interpretation). So rather than our existence being the end result of the universe (as we currently perceive it), the universe only exists because we do perceive it. Thus the fact we can understand the fundamental laws of the universe is no surprise, because the universe behaves according to our understanding.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etacarinae View Post
Reason being that there have been some religious zealots inquiring here , then upon receipt of information , start quoting bible verses and telling all of us we are 'going to hell'. If you were offended , apologies.

Upon first read , it did sound a tad like that , but I failed to recall several of your queries in other topics here. So , therein lies the error , on my part.

No I'm just really fascinated by this subject. I think it would be amazing if there was another world like this one in another dimension. No apologies necessary. I didn't know about the religious zealot thing going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space