Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 07:49 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,960,567 times

Advertisements

Let's say there's intelligent life out there and they sent of few of them to come and study us for a while. What do you think thier report would say? I posted this in the science and technology section but feel free to be as creative as you want in your response. Think about it. And what would be the one thing that you believe would stick out the most to them? Be creative but yet serious. I won't say what I think yet but I will soon. There is one major thing I know for sure would stick out in thier minds and have them baffled.

Pretend your the alien. What's your report.

This should be fun. I can't wait to hear your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 11:21 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
It's impossible to place oneself in the mind of an alien. It depends on their frames of reference. (My feeling about it is that if they were advanced enough to come here, they wouldn't.) I think they would be particularly appalled at people killing one another in the name of religious belief.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:58 AM

Wells that's a good start. Thanks Catman. You made an interesting point. For one, that would mean there probably isn't a God (I believe in "reality" there is) and what you said would definitely baffle them. You're right. That would be an even bigger concern for them than what I was thinking. What I'm getting at is more along the lines of our "progress". This evening I will post my report.

Ahh, what the heck, I'll say just a little now, although this is probably not going to go over to well with some people. I'd say thier biggest concern is the way politics and greed has caused us to destroy ourselves. They be appaled at the fact that our leaders, who claim to be the smartest creatures, are continuing to allow us to go the wrong direction even though they know it's destroying us. The absolute main thing they would be baffled about is the fact that we are using oil instead of solar energy. They would be greatly confused about this. They'd see we have the technology but because of something we call politics and greed we are continuing to destroy ourselves and this planet, in many ways. I think they'd accually try and help, if they could. But you could be right. They may accually want to exterminate us so our kind would never spread...lol.

Ok that's all I'm saying until I write the report...lol Of course there's many more topics the report would include.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:17 AM

5,461 posts, read 5,702,939 times
O-Ducky, I don't think aliens would have such concerns. Your frame of reference is too human-centric. Believe it or not but using oil or coal or even Chernobyl-like disasters do not have any harmful effects on the planet or life on Earth as a whole.... it has effects on us. If there was a plant lobby in Congress they would lobby for more CO2 production.

I believe they would also NOT be amazed by our poetry or music or art or sculpture or literature. Imagine if you walk down a rainforest and you see monkeys setting up a Shakespearean play. Your reaction would not be whether or not the play captures all literary elements invisioned by the author or whether or not Coco the chimp plays a good Othello... your reaction would be "HOLY -ISH MONKEYS PERFORMING A PLAY!!!!!1" However, I believe one of the few things they will find interesting is our sci-fi stories. The fact that humans actually have the capacity to imagine things they can't do yet (such as colonies in space, interplanetary voyages, civilizations spanning multiple solar systems, etc).

Last edited by Gantz; 01-03-2011 at 07:26 AM..

Old 01-03-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
O-Ducky, I don't think aliens would have such concerns. Your frame of reference is too human-centric. Believe it or not but using oil or coal or even Chernobyl-like disasters do not have any harmful effects on the planet or life on Earth as a whole.... it has effects on us. If there was a plant lobby in Congress they would lobby for more CO2 production.

I believe they would also NOT be amazed by our poetry or music or art or sculpture or literature. Imagine if you walk down a rainforest and you see monkeys setting up a Shakespearean play. Your reaction would not be whether or not the play captures all literary elements invisioned by the author or whether or not Coco the chimp plays a good Othello... your reaction would be "HOLY -ISH MONKEYS PERFORMING A PLAY!!!!!1" However, I believe one of the few things they will find interesting is our sci-fi stories. The fact that humans actually have the capacity to imagine things they can't do yet (such as colonies in space, interplanetary voyages, civilizations spanning multiple solar systems, etc).
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA!!! Too funny!

I will not comment back is dissagreement but I will respect all opinions. I do appreciate your humor as well. That's great. Very creative.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:07 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
I think they would be surprised (and hopefully a bit annoyed) that we haven't gotten around to getting our flying cars yet. I would expect when word of this reaches HQ, that there would be such a crap-storm that the alien higher-ups would see to it we all immediately got our promised FCs and an investigation would be conducted on who messed this up.

And I mean a decent Flying Car too! Not some piece of junk dreamed up by Fred MacMurray or something that looks like a swamp boat with wings that has little (if any) hover capabilities.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:09 AM

lol

Old 01-03-2011, 12:36 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,685,134 times
We gave you eons worth of technology, and this is the best you can do?

Old 01-03-2011, 03:37 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
"Pretend your the alien. What's your report. "

SWqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq fkk CVCVV lllllllllllllllswj, mapohsd saagg wesadvmwe vaer ge gerg qaergww.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
"Pretend your the alien. What's your report. "

SWqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq fkk CVCVV lllllllllllllllswj, mapohsd saagg wesadvmwe vaer ge gerg qaergww.
HEY!!! Was that Swedish...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space