Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did men really land on the moon?
Yes 51 91.07%
No 2 3.57%
I don't know 3 5.36%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 06:11 PM

45,390 posts, read 60,575,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
We also lost three astronauts from a catastrophic fire inside Apollo 1 while it was still on the launch pad.
Yeah, Grissom, White and Chaffee. I was going to mention them (I should have) but didn't want to muddy the waters any more than they already are. A couple more flew a plane into a building at McDonnell and were killed and a couple were killed in car accidents after being selected for the Astronaut Program but before starting training.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:15 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
T&S, The movie is rated PG-13, I don't think the store should have sold/rented it to you.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:20 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,325,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Good grief, you're letting your imagination go wild and overwhelm your common sense. NASA can't prohibit people from using such clips. They're public domain. Anyone can use them any way they want. The Blair Witch Project didn't show any disclaimers either. But after throngs of people began descending on the community, started trespassing and vandalizing private property, and generally disturbing the local residents, all because they wanted to search for the Blair Witch themselves, the film directors stated it was just a fictional, low budget movie. It wasn't based on anything real. There was no group of students that disappeared leaving behind nothing but the camera and tapes. But that was the premise of the movie. The movie said the tapes documented the event. It's just a gimmick that works with the movie to give the viewers thrlls and chills.

The whole purpose of movies like the Blair Witch Project or Apollo 18 is to scare the pants off the viewers. The reason why these movies work as they do is by stimulating imagination with fear of the dark instincts and perceived dangers. Think about it. How much danger are you exposed to by watching a video in the safety of your own home? LOL!
have you seen the movie??

And your right, it was very scary...

I heard it didn't get good reviews from many, cause it's a 'thinking persons' type horror movie...

In otherwords you have to know a bit about 'science' in order to understand what's going on...and to understand what they are actually up against...

But if one views this movie, and knows nothing about ___________based __________ __________s...then they might be at a loss...

NightBizzare...

Here's a puzzle for you that has to do with the moon...that I can't figure out...

The moon is roughly 1/4 the size of earth, and thus exerts 1/4 the gravity....

And this is why people appear to hop/float along on it's surface...(assuming it's real)(we won't go there now though)...

Anyhow....explain this to me if you can...

It would be like a 200lb person here on earth, weighing 50 lbs....

Well then how come a 50lb person on earth, doesn't bounce or float around on earth, the way they do on the surface of the moon?

If being 1/4 your weight allows you to bounce on the moon, how come that same reduced fraction of weight on earth doesn't allow likewise?

Old 01-10-2012, 06:36 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,826,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
have you seen the movie??

And your right, it was very scary...

I heard it didn't get good reviews from many, cause it's a 'thinking persons' type horror movie...

In otherwords you have to know a bit about 'science' in order to understand what's going on...and to understand what they are actually up against...

But if one views this movie, and knows nothing about ___________based __________ __________s...then they might be at a loss...

NightBizzare...

Here's a puzzle for you that has to do with the moon...that I can't figure out...

And this is why people appear to hop/float along on it's surface...(assuming it's real)(we won't go there now though)...

Well then how come a 50lb person on earth, doesn't bounce or float around on earth, the way they do on the surface of the moon?

If being 1/4 your weight allows you to bounce on the moon, how come that same reduced fraction of weight on earth doesn't allow likewise?
I don't think how much you actually weigh has anything to do with it, as much as how much gravitational pull exists does. There's a difference between weight, and gravitational pull.

Here's something for you, did you know that gravity pulls on everything equally, irregardless of weight? This was actually proven, believe it or not, on the moon! They dropped a feather and a hammer. With no air resistance from an atmosphere to interfere, both hit the ground at the same time, when dropped from the same height, and at the same time. Neat, huh!

Old 01-10-2012, 06:40 PM

45,390 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
I don't think how much you actually weigh has anything to do with it, as much as how much gravitational pull exists does. There's a difference between weight, and gravitational pull.

Here's something for you, did you know that gravity pulls on everything equally, irregardless of weight? This was actually proven, believe it or not, on the moon! They dropped a feather and a hammer. With no air resistance from an atmosphere to interfere, both hit the ground at the same time, when dropped from the same height, and at the same time. Neat, huh!

But were they really on the Moon and not a sound stage where photo-shopping could occur? You know the government has all that cool stuff decades before the rest of us.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:

Every school boy knows that the gravity on the moon is only 16.6% of earth gravity. It was well known before man ever went to the moon. In fact my grandson (who is 9 and in the third grade) knows this, for he showed me his grade rubric today where he made a 95 on his presentation about the moon.

And while the diameter of the moon is approximately 1/4 that of the earth, the mass is much less (again some rather basic science) because an object that is 1/4 the diameter has a mass that is much less due to a basic formula every kid learns in geometry class. Additionally the density of the moon is less than earth's.

you make my head hurt

Last edited by Asheville Native; 01-10-2012 at 07:04 PM..

Old 01-10-2012, 06:43 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,826,181 times
Quote:
And I never saw no 'disclaimer' at the beggining or end of the film saying 'This is all fictional'....
Hey guess what! I watched Spaceballs earlier and "I never saw no 'disclaimer' at the beggining or end of the film saying 'This is all fictional'...." [sic] either! Therefore, it MUST all be true! The Schwartz, Dark Helmet, men who are half dogs, flying space Winnebagos, gigantic robo-maids! ALL TRUE!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Old 01-10-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Hey guess what! I watched Spaceballs earlier and "I never saw no 'disclaimer' at the beggining or end of the film saying 'This is all fictional'...." [sic] either! Therefore, it MUST all be true! The Schwartz, Dark Helmet, men who are half dogs, flying space Winnebagos, gigantic robo-maids! ALL TRUE!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Nor will you see a disclaimer on a Road Runner vs. Wili E. Coyote cartoon.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:06 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Found this one today. I'm going to put it in one of my albums so it's readily available.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:29 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,325,741 times
Quote:

Actually, I have heard that 'air resistance' experiment before...
What I find amazing about some aspects of science, is that one question or answer creates others...

Like the idea that the less mass is beneath you, the lighter you become...so say if people could dig 300 miles into the core of the earth...they would weigh lighter...and maybe would indeed 'bounce' like they do on the moon...and in the center of the earth which direction would you fall?...assuming it was hallow or hollow...

And ashville native...could you please calm down...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space