Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 10:27 AM

23,588 posts, read 70,358,767 times

Advertisements

Back in the 1970s, I fully expected to look up by about now and sometimes see this slowly traveling across the sky, rotating majestically as it went...

I never thought we would have flying cars. Too unpredictable, dangerous, and invasive of personal space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 10:32 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,381,971 times
Well After the ending of shuttle program and the financial rape of NASA I see the U.S. at least being at the mercy of other countries programs in order to travel to and from the ISS.
As for anything innovative coming from the private sector I have little hope.

Space travel should be a source of national pride and should be ran as a non profit national agency.

Here in this country only ghosts of what was remain.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:01 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
When i was a kid i always watched the tv series Space 1999 (Martin Landau, Barbara Bain) back in the 1970's and i really thought that we'd have a lunar base by now just like in the sci-fi show.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:10 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
I thought we would have a moon base and a very large space station, with private sector flights to and from it.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:57 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times
I had hoped we'd have at least a permanent base on the moon, be mining the asteroid belt and I'd be taking vacations in an orbital resort.

I had also hoped some of the countries in the world would have grown up and cooperated in the exploration of space.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:22 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,060,716 times
Having been a part of the space program, and understanding just how hostile Space is to the human body--not to mention how difficult and dangerous it is to push a fragile person (or spacecraft, for that matter) through 7+km/s of delta-v, and then dump all that velocity again by smashing into the atmosphere, I'm less surprised at the way space exploration has gone.

Moonbases, Mars Missions, Exploration beyond the inner planets; all this is unsustainable and pointless without some economic motive. Columbus didn't sail for Antarctica--he sailed for India. And, if he'd happened to run into a Mars-or-Moon-like environment on the way, you can bet he would've turned right around and never gone back.

Fortunately, there do happen to be vast amounts of untapped natural resources within the solar system. We need to concentrate on finding ways to exploit them for the benefit (and profit) of mankind.

As for where I thought we'd be? Well, I thought we'd still be flying a dwindling shuttle fleet, perhaps perfecting a liquid fly-back booster and developing a replacement vehicle based less on what hotshot pilots want (crossrange) and more on common sense; keep it simple, stupid.

After Columbia, Bush saw to it that the shuttle flying part wouldn't happen, and congress has seen to it that we continue to creep along with the replacement vehicle. Now, perhaps, we're keeping it too simple.

SpaceX seems like the one bright spot in the whole equation, unless you count the Chinese. However, even if they can turn a private profit and corner the market (unlikely), there's not going to be much of a market if all we do is shoot of LEO and GEO comm and spy spots. However, the unfortunate reality; that we saw in the 80's, and which remains true today, is that the resources of Mars/Moon are about as useful to us as Iceland and Nova Scotia were to the vikings.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:31 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
I was reading Mechanix Illustrated back around 1950, when they promised me that cars would levitate on magnetic highways somehow by 1985. They lied, but that's OK, I doubt if I seriously believed it even when I was in junior high school. I didn't really have any clearcut expectations in my mind then about what the future would be like. I did expect to live to see 2000, though, which would occur when I was 61. Even when Sputnik went up, in my second year of college, I immediately abandoned my science major, deciding I didn't want to be a trained monkey for the highly politicized organ grinder soon to take shape as NASA. At least, I was pretty clairvoyant about that.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:40 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,702,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I was reading Mechanix Illustrated back around 1950, when they promised me that cars would levitate on magnetic highways somehow by 1985. They lied, but that's OK, I doubt if I seriously believed it even when I was in junior high school.
These do, in fact, exist.... but not in the US since our infrastructure hasn't moved since the 1950s. If you go to China, Japan, or South Korea they do have operational maglev trains. The whole train has no wheels, but it slightly levitates off the ground, so you get no noise/pollution associated with trains, works great in cities.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:23 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,284,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Having been a part of the space program, and understanding just how hostile Space is to the human body--not to mention how difficult and dangerous it is to push a fragile person (or spacecraft, for that matter) through 7+km/s of delta-v, and then dump all that velocity again by smashing into the atmosphere, I'm less surprised at the way space exploration has gone.

Moonbases, Mars Missions, Exploration beyond the inner planets; all this is unsustainable and pointless without some economic motive. Columbus didn't sail for Antarctica--he sailed for India. And, if he'd happened to run into a Mars-or-Moon-like environment on the way, you can bet he would've turned right around and never gone back.

Fortunately, there do happen to be vast amounts of untapped natural resources within the solar system. We need to concentrate on finding ways to exploit them for the benefit (and profit) of mankind.

As for where I thought we'd be? Well, I thought we'd still be flying a dwindling shuttle fleet, perhaps perfecting a liquid fly-back booster and developing a replacement vehicle based less on what hotshot pilots want (crossrange) and more on common sense; keep it simple, stupid.

After Columbia, Bush saw to it that the shuttle flying part wouldn't happen, and congress has seen to it that we continue to creep along with the replacement vehicle. Now, perhaps, we're keeping it too simple.

SpaceX seems like the one bright spot in the whole equation, unless you count the Chinese. However, even if they can turn a private profit and corner the market (unlikely), there's not going to be much of a market if all we do is shoot of LEO and GEO comm and spy spots. However, the unfortunate reality; that we saw in the 80's, and which remains true today, is that the resources of Mars/Moon are about as useful to us as Iceland and Nova Scotia were to the vikings.

i realise its a question which can only really be guessed but do you think thier will be a manned mars landing by 2100

Old 04-20-2012, 06:09 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times
A Moon base and extensive exploration of the solar system by space probes.

[we don't have the first and the second is rather limited and hardly makes the news]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space