Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 07:51 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,596,039 times

Advertisements

I have always wondered about something...Now I know that anything that falls into a blackhole would be ripped into an almost infinite amount of sub-atomic particles. I know that. However, let's just say that it was somehow possible to build a craft so strong, the force of gravity of even a blackhole could not tear it apart. Lets's say we sent that probe into the blackhole. Where would it go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 09:01 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,066,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
I have always wondered about something...Now I know that anything that falls into a blackhole would be ripped into an almost infinite amount of sub-atomic particles. I know that. However, let's just say that it was somehow possible to build a craft so strong, the force of gravity of even a blackhole could not tear it apart. Lets's say we sent that probe into the blackhole. Where would it go?
Let me preface by saying that I'm no expert in this field and I could be way off. However, I have watched a buttload of educational documentaries on this subject so I will be going off of what I have learned from those.

Having said that,
I don't think black holes go anywhere. My understanding of them is that they aren't even holes but rather an area around something of such extreme mass (such as a singularity) that light cannot escape its gravitational pull. Imagine a marble as being a singularity then place that marble in the center of a sphere (which will represent it's gravitational pull) and that sphere could be described as the black hole.

If you could build a ship strong enough to avoid annihilation from the gravitational field, you would probably just pass right through to the opposite side. It wouldn't go anywhere. Black holes aren't wormholes.

However, time becomes slowed near black holes (gravity has a dragging effect on time) so the person observing it from a distance would age more than the object itself passing through. Black holes can actually be considered naturally occurring time machines

Last edited by Adric; 07-02-2012 at 10:24 PM..

Old 07-02-2012, 10:23 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
There is a term for that type of speculative question. It escapes me at the moment. There is no scientific answer, as the parameters exclude the possibility. Another version of the same question form is "If you were able to go through a mirror, into the world that is the reflection, where would you end up?"

Old 07-03-2012, 07:11 AM

5,068 posts, read 10,128,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
Let me preface by saying that I'm no expert in this field and I could be way off. However, I have watched a buttload of educational documentaries on this subject so I will be going off of what I have learned from those.

Having said that,
I don't think black holes go anywhere. My understanding of them is that they aren't even holes but rather an area around something of such extreme mass (such as a singularity) that light cannot escape its gravitational pull. Imagine a marble as being a singularity then place that marble in the center of a sphere (which will represent it's gravitational pull) and that sphere could be described as the black hole.

If you could build a ship strong enough to avoid annihilation from the gravitational field, you would probably just pass right through to the opposite side. It wouldn't go anywhere. Black holes aren't wormholes.

However, time becomes slowed near black holes (gravity has a dragging effect on time) so the person observing it from a distance would age more than the object itself passing through. Black holes can actually be considered naturally occurring time machines
I believe anything falling into a black hole would be ripped to pieces. But, assuming anything could be built to avoid annihilation, it would be trapped forever in the black hole. There are some rapidly spinning black holes and quasars that form jets from the centers, though.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:37 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,631,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
I think the question should be 'What would happen?" rather than where would it go. If a craft could be indestructable to the gravitational forces, you would probably end up forever trapped at the center. There are different kinds of black holes. Some are supermassive black holes and some are stellar mass black holes. There is likely to be intermediate sized black holes as well. We'll disregard micro black holes and primordial black holes. We'd also have to consider whether the black hole is rotating or is stationary. Regardless of the size and conditions of the black hole, eventually you'd be on a one-way trip with a pretty nasty ending.

It helps to have a better idea about black holes to answer the question of what would happen if you fell into one. They are not just objects in space. They are more like wells of extreme gravity that distort, pull in and compress space and time, and anything that falls into it.

Here are a few clips that look at the question of what would happen if you fell into a black hole.

What's Inside a Black Hole? - YouTube

A Journey into a Black Hole - YouTube

What Would Happen If You Fell into a Black Hole? - YouTube

Neil DeGrasse Tyson - Death By Black Hole - YouTube

Old 07-03-2012, 03:31 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,066,364 times
I've often wondered for a long time if black holes affect the anti universe (if there is indeed an anti universe) and/or parallel universes due to their ability to distort time and space. I made a little graph to better illustrate what I mean:

And some reading:

Space-based detector could find anti-universe

Any thoughts?

Old 07-03-2012, 07:08 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,596,039 times
WOW! Thanks guys, but you guys are way ahead of me!

Old 07-24-2012, 04:39 PM

38 posts, read 51,207 times
If a singularity is at a point in space and it has a an event horizon with a particular Schwarzschild Radius, then, it would seem, a black hole covers a finite expanse of space.

However, according to one coordinate system, inside a black hole the space and time coordinates switch! Therefore, a singularity is not a point in space by a point in time. So entering a black hole anyone would travel through time and hit the singularity at that particular point in time, e.g. midnight of March 20, 1066.
(Read here [Inside a Black Hole section], for example: Spacetime Geometry Inside a Black Hole)

But assuming it's spatial within, wouldn't the fact that space is infinitely curved at the point of the singularity mean that you would continually fall towards the singularity, but never reach it? Think how space is curved due to the presence of a mass and you fall down that curvature toward that mass (i.e. what we conceive as falling due to gravity).

Taking this further, what about falling into a black hole that is connected to another via an Einstein-Rosen bridge?

Very chewy questions. :-)

Old 07-26-2012, 07:53 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,128,114 times
I definitely believe a star would fall into a black hole, and that it would be ripped to pieces. This black hole will be spewing x-rays for awhile, maybe into next year at least.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:32 AM

407 posts, read 829,442 times
Assuming you weren't ripped into billions of pieces of confetti, my understanding is you would just keep falling into nothingness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space