Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 07:17 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,523,731 times

Advertisements

What sets Curiosity apart from other Mars Rovers? - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 07:32 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,635,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Picture of Curiosity from the orbiting Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter after it's parachute was deployed>>>>>
The 3rd picture of Gale Crater is one that seems most commonly found on the net. Nothing wrong with it, but it doesn't give a sense of surface detail, that is smaller objects (rocks). But it does give a general sense over a larger area of where the landing was expected.

The last picture gives a better impression of what things on the surface look like, and relates to the first images from the MSL.

The photos of the guys next to the rover shows it to be pretty large. I've seen descriptions that it's like an SUV. Well, not quite that large, but it's still pretty big, and really large compared to past rovers. To me, it looks like it's nearly the size of the Moon Buggies.

Good collection of images Pitts! Thanks for posting them.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Video of Curiosity's Descent(from JPL)>>>>

Curiosity's Descent - YouTube
I'd been wondering what the parachuting rover's altitude was at the beginning of the clip. Evidently it was 2 miles above the surface. The MRO was 211 miles away.

Mars orbiter captures rover in midair - PhotoBlog

Old 08-07-2012, 12:45 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
I created these images from Microsoft's WorldWide Telescope (WWT). The first image is in the visible spectrum, what we see. The second image is colorized to depict the elevation (blue being the lowest elevation, followed by green, yellow, and brown).

Visible Image

Colorized Image by Elevation

Gale Crater is located about 7°S by 137°E. Just south of Mars' equator, about one quarter of the planet's distance west from Olympus Mons. The following is a map of what is believed to be subsurface water on Mars.

Last edited by Glitch; 08-07-2012 at 01:11 AM..

Old 08-07-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
The 3rd picture of Gale Crater is one that seems most commonly found on the net. Nothing wrong with it, but it doesn't give a sense of surface detail, that is smaller objects (rocks). But it does give a general sense over a larger area of where the landing was expected.

The last picture gives a better impression of what things on the surface look like, and relates to the first images from the MSL.

The photos of the guys next to the rover shows it to be pretty large. I've seen descriptions that it's like an SUV. Well, not quite that large, but it's still pretty big, and really large compared to past rovers. To me, it looks like it's nearly the size of the Moon Buggies.

Good collection of images Pitts! Thanks for posting them.
Thanx NB.....

I liked the image showing the size differential between Curiosity; Opportunity and Sojourner.

Also the one of Curiosity firing it's laser.

Here's the newest color image from Curiosity>>>>>

Another image>>>>>

Old 08-08-2012, 04:24 PM

Ten Scientific Instruments aboard Curiosity>>>>>

The Ten Instruments That Mars Rover Curiosity Will Use to Investigate the Red Planet | Popular Science

Old 08-08-2012, 05:24 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,025,375 times
The Rover has 11 lbs of fuel and can run on it for a minimum of 14 years. Must be nice.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Thanx NB.....

I liked the image showing the size differential between Curiosity; Opportunity and Sojourner.

Also the one of Curiosity firing it's laser.

Here's the newest color image from Curiosity>>>>>

Another image>>>>>
Pitts, some of the latest hi-res images I've seen today, as well as panoramic views, are starting to look even sharper. Curiosity has also started sending back some of its first stereoscopic images. 3-D specs needed.

New Mars Rover Photos Reveal 'Earthlike' Landscape | Space.com

New Mars Photos: Curiosity Rover's 1st 3-D Views | Space.com

Old 08-09-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Pitts, some of the latest hi-res images I've seen today, as well as panoramic views, are starting to look even sharper. Curiosity has also started sending back some of its first stereoscopic images. 3-D specs needed.

New Mars Rover Photos Reveal 'Earthlike' Landscape | Space.com

New Mars Photos: Curiosity Rover's 1st 3-D Views | Space.com
THANX for the links N.B>>>>>>

Here's some newer pics>>>>>

Curiosity raising it's mast>>>>>

I'm looking forward to the release of the High Resolution Descent Video!

Old 08-09-2012, 10:31 PM

Here's a full-res color panoramic view from Curiosity. The walls of the crater are visible in the distance. Stark, but fascinating. At the moment, Curiosity is checking it's instruments to make sure everything is working. My understanding is that it could be a couple of weeks yet before it begins to get down to doing some of the science that it was designed to do. But it's pretty interesting to have a look around from the landing area.

http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/jpeg/PIA16029.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space