Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 11:24 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,635,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
A recent photograph from the Curiosity rover has revealed something unexpected.

LOL! I'm not a bit surprised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 12:34 PM

Curiosity finds signs of an ancient streambed.

NASA's Curiosity Finds Ancient Streambed - First Evidence of Water on Mars - YouTube

Old 09-29-2012, 05:25 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
It is not the "first evidence" of water on Mars. We have known for decades that liquid water once flowed on Mars. As far as direct evidence, the Phoenix Mars Lander used a Thermal and Evolved-Gas Analyzer to directly "touch" and "taste" Martian water in August 2008.

I really wish they would not use this kind of bogus propaganda.

I understand that they are trying to make their most recent Martian probe more relevant to the public, but they are only hurting their credibility when they deliberately lie to the public.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:02 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,890,969 times
I think Nasa would do themselves a lot of good if they let the public control the craft (at least for a small time).

-Somewhat similar to different web based chess games. Where X grandmaster plays "the world". The world votes on a move, then the other guy plays.

What if Nasa gave a presentation, to every elementary school in the country, or middle school. It could generate a lot of interest in space. The public would be more in tune with the different NASA projects. It is our tax money after all.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:23 AM

Quote:
It is not the "first evidence" of water on Mars. We have known for decades that liquid water once flowed on Mars. As far as direct evidence, the Phoenix Mars Lander used a Thermal and Evolved-Gas Analyzer to directly "touch" and "taste" Martian water in August 2008.

I really wish they would not use this kind of bogus propaganda.

I understand that they are trying to make their most recent Martian probe more relevant to the public, but they are only hurting their credibility when they deliberately lie to the public.
Bogus propaganda? Lying to the public? That's pretty harsh. How did you come to those conclusions? It's not about Curiosity showing the "first evidence", ever, of water on Mars. It's pretty obvious that isn't the case. Among things previously sighted from other missions indicating water in Mars' past include, the Phoenix Lander (as you said) which was located somewhat near the icecap, riverbeds and alluvial fans, and the Martian "blueberries" (hematite spheres). There have also been images of what may be signs of water seasonally flowing out of crater walls, but that's a little hard to say for sure. And previous mapping seems to indicate large areas that might be water (either frozen or liquid) below the surface of the planet.

What the MSL is doing is looking at the geology of Gale Crater, in this instance, providing additional confirmation that not only did water once flow on Mars, but that it must have flowed rather vigorously for some time at this particular location to form such gravel. The mission of the MSL was intended to try to determine if Mars was ever wet and warm long enough to potentially support microbial life in its past, although it's not intended to search for any direct evidence of past or present life. It's a science mission to try to better understand the geological history of Mars and better understand the solar system. Gale Crater was selected as the landing site because the rock layers there can better show Mars' past. That Mars is a tremendous distance from Earth, it's probably a good idea to try to understand as much as possible before thinking about ultimately sending any human missions to the planet. Robotic missions are currently the best way to do that.

The MSL is looking at features before it begins climbing Mt. Sharp and looking at a lot of other features along the way during its two-year mission, which hopefully will turn out to be much longer than two years. If it could stay operational for say 10 or 15 years, maybe it can find a way out of the crater to search other nearby areas giving more bang for the buck. It's hard to say.

What do you think the MSL should be doing?

Old 09-30-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Bogus propaganda? Lying to the public? That's pretty harsh. How did you come to those conclusions? It's not about Curiosity showing the "first evidence", ever, of water on Mars. It's pretty obvious that isn't the case.
It should be rather obvious how I came to that conclusion when NASA is making the bogus claim that they have found the "first evidence of water on Mars."

You and I may understand that NASA's claim is not true because we follow such things. If they had said they found "more evidence of water of Mars" or the "first evidence of water in the Gale Crater" then it would not have been a lie. However, to make the claim the it is the "first evidence of water on Mars" is a deliberate deceit.

Quote:
Among things previously sighted from other missions indicating water in Mars' past include, the Phoenix Lander (as you said) which was located somewhat near the icecap, riverbeds and alluvial fans, and the Martian "blueberries" (hematite spheres). There have also been images of what may be signs of water seasonally flowing out of crater walls, but that's a little hard to say for sure. And previous mapping seems to indicate large areas that might be water (either frozen or liquid) below the surface of the planet.

What the MSL is doing is looking at the geology of Gale Crater, in this instance, providing additional confirmation that not only did water once flow on Mars, but that it must have flowed rather vigorously for some time at this particular location to form such gravel. The mission of the MSL was intended to try to determine if Mars was ever wet and warm long enough to potentially support microbial life in its past, although it's not intended to search for any direct evidence of past or present life. It's a science mission to try to better understand the geological history of Mars and better understand the solar system. Gale Crater was selected as the landing site because the rock layers there can better show Mars' past. That Mars is a tremendous distance from Earth, it's probably a good idea to try to understand as much as possible before thinking about ultimately sending any human missions to the planet. Robotic missions are currently the best way to do that.

The MSL is looking at features before it begins climbing Mt. Sharp and looking at a lot of other features along the way during its two-year mission, which hopefully will turn out to be much longer than two years. If it could stay operational for say 10 or 15 years, maybe it can find a way out of the crater to search other nearby areas giving more bang for the buck. It's hard to say.

What do you think the MSL should be doing?
I understand the mission of the MSL, but deliberately lying to the public about their findings does not help their credibility. If it had been the media to make such a bogus claim I would have dismissed the claim as an ignorant media. However, the video you presented came from NASA and that makes it deliberate propaganda.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:19 PM

133 posts, read 219,815 times
Quote:
It should be rather obvious how I came to that conclusion when NASA is making the bogus claim that they have found the "first evidence of water on Mars."

You and I may understand that NASA's claim is not true because we follow such things. If they had said they found "more evidence of water of Mars" or the "first evidence of water in the Gale Crater" then it would not have been a lie. However, to make the claim the it is the "first evidence of water on Mars" is a deliberate deceit.

I understand the mission of the MSL, but deliberately lying to the public about their findings does not help their credibility. If it had been the media to make such a bogus claim I would have dismissed the claim as an ignorant media. However, the video you presented came from NASA and that makes it deliberate propaganda.

Except neither NASA or the video ever made this claim. Here's what they said in their press release -

"There is earlier evidence for the presence of water on Mars, but this evidence - images of rocks containing ancient streambed gravels - is the first of its kind."

It took me about 5 minutes to debunk your slanderous statements - maybe next time do a few minutes of research before you make a fool of yourself.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevike View Post
Except neither NASA or the video ever made this claim. Here's what they said in their press release -

"There is earlier evidence for the presence of water on Mars, but this evidence - images of rocks containing ancient streambed gravels - is the first of its kind."

It took me about 5 minutes to debunk your slanderous statements - maybe next time do a few minutes of research before you make a fool of yourself.
Perhaps the title of the video escaped your grasp: "NASA's Curiosity Finds Ancient Streambed - First Evidence of Water on Mars - YouTube"

And it only took me two seconds to demonstrate that you are not capable of comprehending what you read.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:32 PM

133 posts, read 219,815 times
Quote:
Perhaps the title of the video escaped your grasp: "
NASA's Curiosity Finds Ancient Streambed - First Evidence of Water on Mars - YouTube"

And it only took me two seconds to demonstrate that you are not capable of comprehending what you read.
It never occurred to me that you didn't know how YouTube works. Here's a quick
tutorial.

Notice that one of the steps is giving your uploaded video a title. The video you've used to slander NASA was uploaded and titled by the Science Channel. NASA has their own YouTube channel, here's the video they uploaded -

NASA's Curiosity Rover Finds Old Streambed on Mars

Old 10-09-2012, 09:55 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Curiosity has stumbled upon some silvery object on the ground, NASA have no idea what it is, it could be a part that has broken off of the rover they say
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space