Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 05:37 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,518,867 times

Advertisements

The Future of Space Travel - YouTube

Found this really awesome video. Thought it would be cool to post it here. I would like to know what you think of the video and if the technologies in the video are do able.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 11:03 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,773,391 times
Looks some student's animation video project. There is no description of the vehicles or technology of any kind. Haven't a clue what I was watching.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:38 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
Looked like some scramjets, followed by some kind of rocket devices.. May get us into orbit or even to Mars but thats about it, never get us to even the nearest of stars.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:43 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,000,204 times
looks like an art school project

Old 11-08-2012, 08:50 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,440,440 times
The only way we (as in a manned-mission) will be able to get to some place like Alpha Centauri A/B and back in their life time is through a constant acceleration of 1 G. The human body can withstand 6+ G for very short durations, but for a multi-year space flight 1 G is about the maximum constant acceleration.

At a constant acceleration of 1 G it would take just over two years, and reach a distance of 0.236 light years, before reaching 90% the speed of light. It would then take another two years, and a distance of 0.236 light years, to constantly decelerate at a rate of 1 G. The total travel time would be 8.331 years to reach Alpha Centauri A/B, plus another 8.331 years to get back. At least from Earth's perspective. From the perspective of those aboard the space craft only 6.556 years would have elapsed, each way, due to general relativity.

The biggest problem with constant 1 G acceleration is the amount of fuel. Four years of continually accelerating/decelerating at 1 G will require a very large quantity of fuel. Ion propulsion looks to be the most fuel efficient, presently, but it will be awhile before an Ion Engine will be developed that can produce that much thrust.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:57 PM

245 posts, read 765,329 times
Vasimr with a side order of Alcubierre might get us there...

Warp Drive More Possible Than Thought, Scientists Say | Space.com

Old 11-12-2012, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleestak View Post
Vasimr with a side order of Alcubierre might get us there...

Warp Drive More Possible Than Thought, Scientists Say | Space.com
That may prove to be the only viable solution. We know no object within space-time can travel faster than the speed of light, but we also know that space-time itself is not limited to the speed of light. However, it would require a vast amount of power to warp space-time. So far only stars and black holes have the mass sufficient enough to warp space-time.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:33 AM

3,721 posts, read 7,821,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
So far only stars and black holes have the mass sufficient enough to warp space-time.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the warping of space-time effectively gravity itself, and therefore that anything with mass, then, does indeed warp space-time to some degree? Or am I thinking of something else?

Quote:
At a constant acceleration of 1 G it would take just over two years, and reach a distance of 0.236 light years, before reaching 90% the speed of light. It would then take another two years, and a distance of 0.236 light years, to constantly decelerate at a rate of 1 G. The total travel time would be 8.331 years to reach Alpha Centauri A/B, plus another 8.331 years to get back. At least from Earth's perspective. From the perspective of those aboard the space craft only 6.556 years would have elapsed, each way, due to general relativity.
I have a very difficult time with time dilation. I know it has been tested, but something just keeps telling me over and over again that it is wrong. Crazy stuff it is!!!

Old 11-12-2012, 01:41 AM

10 posts, read 18,843 times
Would be better if we just assembled ships in space, probably cost more...

Old 11-12-2012, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the warping of space-time effectively gravity itself, and therefore that anything with mass, then, does indeed warp space-time to some degree? Or am I thinking of something else?
Yes, anything with mass has some effect on space-time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
I have a very difficult time with time dilation. I know it has been tested, but something just keeps telling me over and over again that it is wrong. Crazy stuff it is!!!
Time is also effected by gravity in addition to the warping of space. Clocks on the surface of Earth run slower than the exact same clock in space. This has to be factored into the GPS satellites or they would always be giving us the wrong location. The more mass an object has, the more time is affected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space