Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2012, 08:53 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,100,232 times

Advertisements

"Hundreds of trillions of comets orbit around 49 CETI and one other star whose age is about 30 million years. Imagine so many trillions of comets, each the size of the UCLA campus — approximately 1 mile in diameter — orbiting around 49 CETI and bashing into one another," Zuckerman said. "These young comets likely contain more carbon monoxide than typical comets in our solar system. When they collide, the carbon monoxide escapes as a gas. The gas seen around these two stars is the result of the incredible number of collisions among these comets.

"We calculate that comets collide around these two stars about every six seconds," he said. "I was absolutely amazed when we calculated this rapid rate. I would not have dreamt it in a million years. We think these collisions have been occurring for 10 million years or so."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 09:57 PM

23,529 posts, read 69,951,025 times
Remember the Millennium Falcon going through that asteroid field?

Interesting though, in a serious manner. Such collisions would inevitably create more complex molecules needed as a precursor to carbon based life forms.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:25 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,348,841 times
A 40 MYR OLD GASEOUS CIRCUMSTELLAR DISK AT 49 CETI: MASSIVE CO-RICH COMET CLOUDS AT YOUNG A-TYPE STARS
A Resolved Molecular Gas Disk around 49 Ceti

It should be noted that the number of comets, and their size, around 49 Ceti is an assumption. There is no direct evidence that any comets exist around 49 Ceti at all.

Last edited by Glitch; 12-13-2012 at 01:42 AM..

Old 12-13-2012, 08:10 PM

They do talk about comets in your link. Plus, they also make a lot of assumptions.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
They do talk about comets in your link. Plus, they also make a lot of assumptions.
This is true. As the OPs article, and my links explain, they theorize that the carbon-monoxide gas is being produced by large colliding comets. They have no evidence that the comets exist. The only thing they know for certain is:
  • There is a lot of dust around 49 Ceti and its companion; and
  • They have detected larger concentrations of CO than should be around a star that is 40 million years old.
Everything else is merely scientific speculation in an attempt to explain why there is so much CO gas around a star that should have consumed most of its gas within the first 10 million years. In other words, they have absolutely no idea what is actually happening. They are guessing at what might be occurring based upon our very limited understanding of the universe.

It could be that they are right, and there are mile-wide comets colliding every few seconds. However, it could also be that they are flat out wrong, and there is another process occurring to explain the abundance of CO.

Last edited by Glitch; 12-14-2012 at 12:14 AM..

Old 12-14-2012, 09:53 AM

They wondered why there is so much gas, over time (from the original post), so I'm guessing the the only thing that could keep this much gas in orbit would be the abundance of gas from those comets.

I agree there is a lot of guessing going on.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
They wondered why there is so much gas, over time (from the original post), so I'm guessing the the only thing that could keep this much gas in orbit would be the abundance of gas from those comets.

I agree there is a lot of guessing going on.
That is the thing, it is the only thing that they can imagine can produce this much CO. Their problem is their limited imagination. There are all kinds of different processes of which we have absolutely no understanding, as yet. Maybe it is CO geysers, like on the moon of Saturn, Enceladus. Or perhaps there are volcanoes that spew CO, like they way the moon Io spews sulfur around Jupiter.

Unlike these scientists who feel compelled to explain the process without sufficient information, I am content just saying "I do not know ... yet." I have no overwhelming desire to manufacture an explanation, even if it is scientific speculation.

The amount of CO around 49 Ceti, based upon our current understanding of solar system mechanics, should not be there. Additionally, the CO could not have been around for 40 million years, so some process is continually producing CO. We just have no idea what that process is ... yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space