Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 09:05 AM

26 posts, read 31,207 times

Advertisements

Hoping this may find your interest:
Recent findings suggest a meteor from a serial impact off the dust tail of Comet C/1881 F1 was the initial mechanism to cause The New Madrid Earthquakes of 1811-1812.

There is a central semi-circular depression in Northeasern Marshall County, Mississippi which every hill in the valley eminates out from in a shockwave pattern. On the northwest face numerous unusual rocks were found, with the appearance of melt rock, fusion crust, vitrification, shatter cones, fallback breccia, shocked quartz, nanodiamonds, etc... All aspects of impactites.

On satellite view, draw an imaginary line down the middle of The New Madrid Bend straight to where the rocks were found in North Slayden, Mississippi. Notice the lines in the topography showing direction, angle and force of impact. Follow each river to the north [Wolf, Hatchie, Loosahatchie...] down each of their valleys to see the larger waves from a shock that extends from The Tennessee River on the east around passed The St. Francis River on the west. Every semi-circular fracture and all the "sand blows" throughout Eastern Arkansas encircle this same structure. The man-made lakes to the south [Sardis, Enid, Arkabutla,...] is where the land was split apart and pulled upward. Later it was decided these fractures would make good lakes so they were blocked by earthen dams. Every detail in the topography surrounds and points to this same central location.

William Herchel's observations concur. Many saw the comet as 50% larger than the sun in October 1811. The comet must have come up from the southern hemisphere [where it was last seen before passing] and passed in front of our planet in late November/early December 1811, and as the Earth went through the tail [for almost a month[ several meteors impacted, one large enough to cause this event.

I have put some more information at this site:
http://koolkreations,wix.com/kalopins-legacy ,"Kalopins Legacy","wix","documents and links", and please read this article- "A Few Comments on 1811".

How many realise that a huge comet barely missed just a couple hundred years ago?! Don't just take a look, study all the information on these events. See how much more fascinating this becomes... Find the truths behind the myths... of what now appears to have been A Great Cometary Catastrophe...
Thanks!

Last edited by Kalopin; 01-15-2013 at 09:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 05:49 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Wasn't this beat to death a year ago or so?

Old 01-16-2013, 04:54 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalopin View Post
Hoping this may find your interest:
Recent findings suggest a meteor from a serial impact off the dust tail of Comet C/1881 F1 was the initial mechanism to cause The New Madrid Earthquakes of 1811-1812.

There is a central semi-circular depression in Northeasern Marshall County, Mississippi which every hill in the valley eminates out from in a shockwave pattern. On the northwest face numerous unusual rocks were found, with the appearance of melt rock, fusion crust, vitrification, shatter cones, fallback breccia, shocked quartz, nanodiamonds, etc... All aspects of impactites.

On satellite view, draw an imaginary line down the middle of The New Madrid Bend straight to where the rocks were found in North Slayden, Mississippi. Notice the lines in the topography showing direction, angle and force of impact. Follow each river to the north [Wolf, Hatchie, Loosahatchie...] down each of their valleys to see the larger waves from a shock that extends from The Tennessee River on the east around passed The St. Francis River on the west. Every semi-circular fracture and all the "sand blows" throughout Eastern Arkansas encircle this same structure. The man-made lakes to the south [Sardis, Enid, Arkabutla,...] is where the land was split apart and pulled upward. Later it was decided these fractures would make good lakes so they were blocked by earthen dams. Every detail in the topography surrounds and points to this same central location.

William Herchel's observations concur. Many saw the comet as 50% larger than the sun in October 1811. The comet must have come up from the southern hemisphere [where it was last seen before passing] and passed in front of our planet in late November/early December 1811, and as the Earth went through the tail [for almost a month[ several meteors impacted, one large enough to cause this event.

I have put some more information at this site:
http://koolkreations,wix.com/kalopins-legacy ,"Kalopins Legacy","wix","documents and links", and please read this article- "A Few Comments on 1811".

How many realise that a huge comet barely missed just a couple hundred years ago?! Don't just take a look, study all the information on these events. See how much more fascinating this becomes... Find the truths behind the myths... of what now appears to have been A Great Cometary Catastrophe...
Thanks!
There is a problem with this theory - there is no impact crater. If Meteor Crater in Arizona can remain so well defined 50,000 years after its impact, I find it stretches credibility to think there would be no well defined crater if the impact occurred just 200 years ago. In order to create a 9+ quake, it would have to be a very big impact indeed, several hundred feet deep and more than half mile across. It would have also created a significant impact on the environment. Like the Tambora volcanic eruption in 1815, which caused the year 1816 to be "the year without a summer."

There are just too many holes in this theory for it to fly.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
There is a problem with this theory - there is no impact crater. If Meteor Crater in Arizona can remain so well defined 50,000 years after its impact, I find it stretches credibility to think there would be no well defined crater if the impact occurred just 200 years ago. In order to create a 9+ quake, it would have to be a very big impact indeed, several hundred feet deep and more than half mile across. It would have also created a significant impact on the environment. Like the Tambora volcanic eruption in 1815, which caused the year 1816 to be "the year without a summer."

There are just too many holes in this theory for it to fly.
Thanks. There are many differences between a solid iron meteor coming from an asteroid and a chunk of ice, sand, gravel, and some boulder-sized rocks coming from the close passing of a comet. The meteor that produced Barringer came in at high trajectory,[ maybe 80* or even 90*] and impacted on a hot, dry desert which produced much vitrification, making for a pretty solid formation. Without very much erosion, growth, weather, or development [except for one road]. This is quite the contrary concerning a river basin impact. You have to consider what would be the most extreme differences in a rocky, land impact from solid iron to a deep water impact from a looser projectile of ice and sand.

It is my belief that this meteor was mainly ice and sand, impacted on a frozen lake in one of the coldest winters on record, with soil make-up of only gravel, sand, dirt. I believe it came in at a rather low trajectory [maybe 30*40*], up from the southern hemisphere [where it was last seen before passing], from almost due south and most importantly, on top of The Artesian Wells. This turned much of the valley into "soup". So much soft soil, so near a weak spot in the plate [which was already fractured?] and above an underground inland sea. This greatly affected the outcome, absorbing much of the heat and force and this is what produced such an enormous shockwave. The pattern is undeniable, in my opinion. The "New Madrid Lines" do not begin in New Madrid, they eminate out from Northeastern Marshall County, Mississippi.

This crater was mostly instantly refilled, there was much erosion, growth, development,... ,though the southeastern rim is still perfectly round, there is a road that follows this topography. It may be true that the immediate crater is somewhat difficult to make out, but, to my knowledge, the only other crater that was found in a river basin was The Kgagodi Crater in Botswana Africa, and it was only discovered by accident, when drilling for core samples for a mining expedition. I feel that the fact that all these unusual rocks were found right at the epicenter of every hill in the valley, may warrant further study.

Does this sound feasible? Please ask me any question that you may feel are the holes in this theory, and I will do my best to explain my hypothesis, thanks...

Last edited by Kalopin; 01-17-2013 at 08:39 AM..

Old 01-17-2013, 10:02 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalopin View Post
Thanks. There are many differences between a solid iron meteor coming from an asteroid and a chunk of ice, sand, gravel, and some boulder-sized rocks coming from the close passing of a comet. The meteor that produced Barringer came in at high trajectory,[ maybe 80* or even 90*] and impacted on a hot, dry desert which produced much vitrification, making for a pretty solid formation. Without very much erosion, growth, weather, or development [except for one road]. This is quite the contrary concerning a river basin impact. You have to consider what would be the most extreme differences in a rocky, land impact from solid iron to a deep water impact from a looser projectile of ice and sand.

It is my belief that this meteor was mainly ice and sand, impacted on a frozen lake in one of the coldest winters on record, with soil make-up of only gravel, sand, dirt. I believe it came in at a rather low trajectory [maybe 30*40*], up from the southern hemisphere [where it was last seen before passing], from almost due south and most importantly, on top of The Artesian Wells. This turned much of the valley into "soup". So much soft soil, so near a weak spot in the plate [which was already fractured?] and above an underground inland sea. This greatly affected the outcome, absorbing much of the heat and force and this is what produced such an enormous shockwave. The pattern is undeniable, in my opinion. The "New Madrid Lines" do not begin in New Madrid, they eminate out from Northeastern Marshall County, Mississippi.

This crater was mostly instantly refilled, there was much erosion, growth, development,... ,though the southeastern rim is still perfectly round, there is a road that follows this topography. It may be true that the immediate crater is somewhat difficult to make out, but, to my knowledge, the only other crater that was found in a river basin was The Kgagodi Crater in Botswana Africa, and it was only discovered by accident, when drilling for core samples for a mining expedition. I feel that the fact that all these unusual rocks were found right at the epicenter of every hill in the valley, may warrant further study.

Does this sound feasible? Please ask me any question that you may feel are the holes in this theory, and I will do my best to explain my hypothesis, thanks...
The biggest sticking point I have with this theory is the fact that the Madrid quake was in excess of a magnitude 9.0 (or so it has been estimated). You are not going to get that kind of quake from a meteor or comet, unless it is large and impacts the surface. If it is a large meteor/comet and it impacts the surface, then in addition to the quake it would also leave a large bowl-shaped crater that would not have time to erode or otherwise be covered up. It would be as plain as the nose on your face. Also, considering the speed the meteor/comet would be traveling (somewhere between 10 and 15 km/s) it would not matter if anything on the planet was frozen or not.

The Kgagodi Crater is more than two miles across and despite being around 180 million years old, still has a very distinctive crater. When you can show a sizable crater in either Missouri or Mississippi created within the last 200 years, then your theory may get some credibility, but until then.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
The biggest sticking point I have with this theory is the fact that the Madrid quake was in excess of a magnitude 9.0 (or so it has been estimated). You are not going to get that kind of quake from a meteor or comet, unless it is large and impacts the surface. If it is a large meteor/comet and it impacts the surface, then in addition to the quake it would also leave a large bowl-shaped crater that would not have time to erode or otherwise be covered up. It would be as plain as the nose on your face. Also, considering the speed the meteor/comet would be traveling (somewhere between 10 and 15 km/s) it would not matter if anything on the planet was frozen or not.

The Kgagodi Crater is more than two miles across and despite being around 180 million years old, still has a very distinctive crater. When you can show a sizable crater in either Missouri or Mississippi created within the last 200 years, then your theory may get some credibility, but until then.
The estimated strength of the New Madrid quakes of 1811-1812 was originally 7.8-8.0. Recently a few seismologists have made the claim that the fault is not strong enough to create a 7.8 and tried to have the estimates dropped to 6.5-7.2. They also state that the reports of churchbells ringing in Boston and throughout the northeast is just a myth.

There was no seismograph, as Richter hadn't even been born yet. There was no way to measure any distances in space with any accuracy. All the studies are based on hearsay evidence and has been distorted and dismissed. If there had been a seismograph anywhere near, it would have registered off the charts. You see, it would have taken this amount of force, a meteor impact, to ring churchbells in Boston.

Please read up on current theories, they are not even viable. An ice sheet can not pull land upward away from the equator and against gravity. Inland seas would have left sandy beaches and could have never left evenly spaced rolling hills. It is my belief that all the glacial melt gravel and inland sea sand was reformed by this impact on December 16, 1811.

There were many reports of brilliant lights across the skies during the first quake. They have tried to dismiss this as naturally occurring earthquake lights [quartz crystals rubbing together, gas pockets exploding, ball lightning, charged rock,...] . As all these may have occurred, none could have been seen from such distances as was reported, as far as North Carolina, Virginia, even as far away as Savannah Georgia. One guy in Louisville, Kentucky said that, just before the first shock it was so bright he could see a needle on the floor. This could not have been seen from New Madrid, Missouri.

The NMSZ is a fault that lies in the middle of The North American Plate and just ends on either side. It goes against the edges of the plate. There is no subduction zone or uplift. This has been baffling to many seismologists. As erosion, pressure, tension, torsion, etc. may have all been factors, none could explain the amount of force released nor the design in the topography [The Upper Midland Drift, The Upland Formation, The Upland Complex, New Madrid Lines, that is The Mississippi Embayment]

There is a lot more to this. There was a major earthquake in Caracas Venezuela in December 1811, as well, and eruptions, earthquakes, strange weather patterns,... all over the globe. Alexander Von Humboldt has a good account, entitled "Travels to the Equinoctial Regions of America" and go to chapter 14: Travels to the Equinoctial Regions of America, by Alexander von Humboldt : CHAPTER 14.

P.S. There is a large, "bowl shaped" crater. As I am sure you are aware, if the projectile that impacted the desert to create Barringer had impacted in deep water, there may have been no sign, [in a very short amount of time] other than maybe chevrons from a tsunami. This has been a problem for "The Holocene Impact Working Group" : Holocene Impact Working Group

Last edited by Kalopin; 01-17-2013 at 04:12 PM..

Old 01-24-2013, 05:49 PM

Plato's Cave

Old 01-24-2013, 08:51 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
There is strong evidence (including eyewitness accounts) of seismic activity in the NMSZ before the 19th century. How does your theory account for that? And contrary to what you've said, geologists can explain the activity in terms of a reactivated failed rift and aren't baffled.

It seems like you've got little evidence for a mechanism that isn't needed. Without stronger evidence in support of your hypothesis I don't think you'll find many scientists who will believe you.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
There is strong evidence (including eyewitness accounts) of seismic activity in the NMSZ before the 19th century. How does your theory account for that? And contrary to what you've said, geologists can explain the activity in terms of a reactivated failed rift and aren't baffled.

It seems like you've got little evidence for a mechanism that isn't needed. Without stronger evidence in support of your hypothesis I don't think you'll find many scientists who will believe you.

I do not argue whether or not the NMSZ was already an active seismic region, or of any of the past or more recent quakes, only that the mechanism for the Dec. 16, 1811 quake was a meteor impact. It is my belief that the many aftershocks and other larger quakes were from the fault and massive amounts of land resettling.

Currently it is believed the fault just snapped from pressure, tension, torsion, erosion. All may have been factors, but were not the initial mechanism. This evidence is simple. All these unusual rocks were found at the epicenter of every hill in thhe valley. No one can deny the obvious shockwave pattern that emanates out from Northeastern Marshall County, Mississippi on any satellite view. It does not take a masters in stratigraphy to see this.

The North American Plate sits atop another tectonic plate that it covered millions of years ago. This produced The Rocky Mountain Range and is what is believed to have made The NMSZ a low spot and a much weaker region of the plate, with four major rivers converging. Pressure from ice sheets, erosion from inland seas, weather, rivers,...also were factors. Earlier maps show The Tennessee River connecting at New Madrid, which is why, I believe, that it was there, as that is the direction De Iberville and The French Explorers were coming from. Look at the topography. You can see where The Mississippi River was pushed over to the northwest, and where Reelfoot Lake is, looks like where The Tennessee River was, but it is my belief that it was fed by The Mississippi River and that it flowed down through Alabama, to where its lowest point is presently, and joined the upper Tennessee River to flow out to The Gulf. If you study the topography, I believe that, you will see these features. This event pushed The Tennessee River from New Madrid to where it flows out now into The Ohio River. In fact, ealier maps do not show any of the rivers as they were depicted in maps after 1811. If all this changed, then the topography is not ancient.

Why do I challenge anyone/everyone to try and prove me wrong? If all the evidence points to this impact event, as it does, then why not further this investigation?

["Truth?, You can't handle the truth!"]?

P.S. Could you let me know where you found "eyewitness accounts" of earthquakes ealier than December 16, 1811?

Last edited by Kalopin; 01-25-2013 at 07:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space