Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 10:57 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,632,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I had not thought of that. Something like a small piece of Dark Matter gets stripped off of one or both colliding galaxies, which collects dust and gas over time. That seems like a very reasonable explanation.

The reason these galaxies are green in appearance is because they are primarily made from ionized oxygen (O III) gas. If they collected gas and dust after a collision, I would think that the composition of the gas collected in this manner would be more random, but maybe not. I certainly do not have a better explanation.

I know the link to the paper I posted suggests that these Green Pea galaxies may have helped the reionization process, but that would make them ~13 billion years old. In which case would we not see lots of older Population II and III stars (F, G, K, and M types) in addition to the newer stars? In other words, several generations of stars should have formed and died in these galaxies. The observations suggest that these are fairly new galaxies, which could also explain why they are producing 3.25 more stars per year than our own Milky Way galaxy even though they are only about one tenth the size. Newly formed galaxies should be gas rich, unlike elliptical galaxies like IC 1101 which are practically void of gas and therefore have little or no new star formation.

I love this kind of scientific speculation. Eventually they will work up postulates, then an hypothesis, and that will eventually lead to a theory.
The impression I got is that the Green Peas could possibly help with better understanding the reionization process, but not necessarily that they should be as old as ~13 billion years. Galactic collisions can produce some pretty chaotic conditions. It may be such conditions allow for the reionization process to occur, particularly with O III present in a newly forming mini-galaxy. There can't be many stars in the Green peas as it is. Mostly gas, Dark Matter with gravitational attraction binding and holding it together.

I agree with you that a galactic collision could well disrupt the Dark Matter of the colliding galaxies, scattering it around (like the spash when you throw a rock in the water), some of which untimately becomes part of the new Pea galaxies, as well as larger amounts settling down to surround the host galaxy. I don't think it would take a collision forceful enough to tear a galaxy completely apart. Even a smaller collision could cause enough disruption to fragment material like Dark Matter at the point of impact.

I've generally thought of our galaxy as being pretty large, and it is. Really? Somehow I'm not so sure I'll ever be able to think of it again as being so large. It's really tiny compared to IC 1101.

Speaking of the smallest galaxies, there was a live feed on YouTube about the most light-weight galaxy yet discovered. It's a tiny dwarf galaxy called "Segue 2". Unfortunately, I was only able to catch the last 10 minutes or so of it. But I did find a recent link, dated June 10, describing it.

Lightweight Galaxy Is the Smallest Ever Found | Segue 2 | Space.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 02:43 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,632,121 times
For those who may be interested in learning a little more about the Segue 2 dwarf galaxy, I mentioned that there was a live stream about the subject on YT yesterday. The video below is of the YT broadcast. It's about an hour long and shares a lot of great information.

In order to keep this in line with the largest galaxy known, the same processes discussed in the video below are some of the same processes that IC 1101 has experienced, and that probably most, if not all, experience, including our own Milky Way.

The Smallest Galaxy in the Known Universe - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space