Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2013, 06:30 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,335,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
Why shouldn't something exist?
That's an even better question! And one that would explain a creator as well. If life shouldn't exist as it does, then that's fantastic evidence of a God! I'm all about the evidence, I'll throw away a theory in a heartbeat even if I've thought it to be true for my entire life as long as its accurate! Just show me the money as our couch-jumping friend Tom Cruise says.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 06:33 AM

544 posts, read 608,293 times
Why hasn't Richard Branson gone on a camping trip on the moon yet?

He obviously has the money to do it, he has good looks to avoid any aliens from fearing him as threatening, he obviously likes adventure, so why hasn't he done it? Or why hasn't he been allowed to do it?

Old 11-11-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHarley View Post

He obviously has the money to do it, he has good looks to avoid any aliens from fearing him as threatening, he obviously likes adventure, so why hasn't he done it? Or why hasn't he been allowed to do it?
You cant have a camping trip to the moon!

There's no way to start a fire!

No S'Mores! :-)

And since he looks like an alien, I bet he'd fit right in.

On a serious note, there's much live television coming from "space" soon! Branson is going to broadcast his first voyage live on television worldwide. And Lady Gaga is going to have a concert from space too.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:50 AM

5,463 posts, read 9,596,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHarley View Post

I dunno, aliens might consider good looks could make him an ideal speciman for an uncomfortable probing.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:48 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,404,438 times
Hi there Beninfl!

Very cool thread that you started. As a matter of fact one of the best I have run across on CD in a long long time. My brother has duel degrees in Astrophysics and EE. He has always been interested in Outer Space and self studied starting in elementary school until he went to college and earned the Astrophysics degree. Point is that due to being his little sister I was constantly bombarded with all the cool and interesting things about Outer Space...and I am also fascinated with Outer Space.

Now to the questions. I came across a study that claims that Dark Matter may not exist at all.

Fuggedaboudit: Has Dark Matter Disappeared? | TIME.com

What are your thought's on this?

I am also curious as to other dimensions that we are unable to detect due to the limited sensitivity of our measuring devices. I personally believe that our Universe contains more than 4 dimensions. I believe it contains infinite dimension's. I think humans are limited by their senses from ever being able to detect other dimensions or build devices sensitive enough to detect other dimensions.

What is the possibility that Black Holes are pathways to other Universes?

Thanks again for the cool post!

Old 11-12-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Hi there Beninfl!

Very cool thread that you started. As a matter of fact one of the best I have run across on CD in a long long time. My brother has duel degrees in Astrophysics and EE. He has always been interested in Outer Space and self studied starting in elementary school until he went to college and earned the Astrophysics degree. Point is that due to being his little sister I was constantly bombarded with all the cool and interesting things about Outer Space...and I am also fascinated with Outer Space.

That's awesome! You should have him register here and participate. City-Data isnt known for a user-friendly space forum yet, but all good things come in time! I think that the absence of mathematics in this forum would greatly help. Too much in the past was gee-whiz tech explanations which just showed numbers and didnt inform the non-physicists in the crowd how things actually *work* which is important to understanding the concepts! I dont care if something's 154GeV, what does that *mean* and why is it important? My wife listens to what I talk about and understands enough of it to hold a conversation but that's where the buck stops. I hear "uh-huh" and "that's neat hon" a lot! If we as science enthusiasts can convey meaning, the world will be a lot smarter!

Quote:
Now to the questions. I came across a study that claims that Dark Matter may not exist at all.

Fuggedaboudit: Has Dark Matter Disappeared? | TIME.com

What are your thought's on this?
I dont put any salt into it whatsoever. In a nutshell, a bunch of folks put some numbers in a computer and said "Hey, this is compatible!" and then "Hey, it looks like a theory from the 80s, isnt that neat!" and then someone put a news story together about it and tried their best to make it look like something revolutionary.

Let's compare it to the Higgs mechanism (the boson and the field as they say). Back in the 60's when Peter Higgs developed the concept, it "worked" on paper, but it didnt garner a lot of steam in the engine because it just wasnt something that was required to make things work. Then over time particle physics developed more and more and the Higgs mechanisms continued to be able to work in every proven theory. That's when people said "Hey, there's something to this!" and more experiments ended up confirming it.

So it may not be something wrong, it may be right, but a computer model that happens to work with specific input isnt a good way to proving the Modified Newtonian Dynamics theory.

Quote:
I am also curious as to other dimensions that we are unable to detect due to the limited sensitivity of our measuring devices. I personally believe that our Universe contains more than 4 dimensions. I believe it contains infinite dimension's. I think humans are limited by their senses from ever being able to detect other dimensions or build devices sensitive enough to detect other dimensions.
Either it contains more than 4 or it contains exactly 2. (String theory or Holographic principle). We cant see other dimensions if they exist because as we believe them to exist they would be incredibly small. Similar to how we cant see an atom, because atoms are smaller than the wavelength of light our eyes can see therefore we can only view them with scientific instruments. But we do have instruments that can see atoms, so we just need to work on their sensitivity to be able to detect other dimensions. But if the dimensions are as small we as think they are, we'll look to other ways to detect them. Gravity appears to be universally functional in all dimensions and all types of matter. So if we can detect gravity on a much more sensitive basis, then we can probably detect other dimensions too.

I always tell people its impossible to think in other dimensions. People think often that they can think in 2D. Well, you cant! Your visualizing a 2D representation within 3D space. So your really not visualizing 3D. Same for 1D, 4D, 5D, 11D, etc....

So as always my wording ends with "We dont know" because string theory & the holographic principle are both unproven theories. String theory can never actually BE proven, which is an interesting notation, and the holographic principle if it can be proven we dont know how to do it.

Quote:
What is the possibility that Black Holes are pathways to other Universes?

Thanks again for the cool post!
Black holes are just really big clumps of matter in a small area. Since we know they dissipate over billions of years as "Hawking Radiation" (Dissipate or evaporate, whatever term you choose), we dont believe anywhere that they are pathways to any other Universe. Or even another location. They are just such large masses that the gravity is too extreme to leave by methods even as fast as light. If it was a pathway to another Universe, we'd probably expect to see something come out of it as most paths in nature are two directional. Since we know what goes in and what goes out and it doesnt vary, I dont think this to be possible.

Thanks for a fun post!!

Ben

Old 11-12-2013, 12:05 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,016,805 times
Assuming there are other life forms out in the universe i wonder how many of them collectively have gone on to be taken over through their technology creating artificial intelligence rendering the organic life form irrelevant leaving only the machine as the dominant entity on a planet...

Old 11-12-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Assuming there are other life forms out in the universe i wonder how many of them collectively have gone on to be taken over through their technology creating artificial intelligence rendering the organic life form irrelevant leaving only the machine as the dominant entity on a planet...
There's a lengthy explanation why this could never happen in fact!

Decoding Reality: The Universe as Quantum Information: Vlatko Vedral: 9780199695744: Amazon.com: Books

It all comes down to instructions and assembly and why the systems would eventually break.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:32 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,016,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beninfl View Post
There's a lengthy explanation why this could never happen in fact!

Decoding Reality: The Universe as Quantum Information: Vlatko Vedral: 9780199695744: Amazon.com: Books

It all comes down to instructions and assembly and why the systems would eventually break.
I had hoped your response to my query would have been a more hands on response than just referring me to a book..

Old 11-12-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I had hoped your response to my query would have been a more hands on response than just referring me to a book..
It's a little beyond my expertise, but here goes. ;-)

To make a self assembling robotic race you need:

1.) Materials
2.) Assembler
3.) Instructions

Perhaps you'd build the instructions and the assembler first. The instructions & assembler would build a material gatherer, and then make more robots based on more instructions and another assembler. All sounds pretty easy and workable, until you realize that robots break and eventually will not work 100%. So when the assembler needs maintenance, you need to have instructions to build a robot for maintenance beforehand. Or maybe you have two assemblers that can build more assemblers. And then what happens if one of those parts that fails contains the instructions? Then you're a hunk of metal. So maybe you hide the instructions in another maintenance robot that could verify the instructions. But what happens if that robot breaks, too? What about when you run out of materials? You'd need instructions to build robots to fly into outer space and gather materials to bring them back. If you dont continually input new instructions your machines will run into limitations of what they can do since they can only think about what you tell it is possible and within the machines limitations.

It all comes down to the problem of travel time, instructions, and materials.

It almost makes my head spin.

I'm pretty sure (certain!) that if you head to thepiratebay and google "quantum physics" and grab a multi-gb audiobook collection that the book is in there if you're tight budgeted. When I listened to it a long time ago it was 8 hours of interesting audio. The author is a physicist as well. It goes into great detail about this complex problem and if your serious about the ultimate answer to the question, you should spend some time with it!

Ben
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space