Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2015, 11:03 PM

359 posts, read 658,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
That's what I'm hoping for, among other things.
The link in post 604 of this thread might help you with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 10:29 AM

11,019 posts, read 5,984,846 times
The post 604 link is on orbital motion. I'm asking about the big bang.

The age of the universe is said to be 13.7 billion years. The size of the universe is said to be at least 90 billion light years across. The furthest visible object is some 13 billion light years from us making the visible universe 26 billion light years across (given the time lapse those distant objects have moved away).

So please explain this 'inflationary period' that alloys the universe to have expanded so much in so short a time.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:12 PM

359 posts, read 658,377 times
Quote:

The age of the universe is said to be 13.7 billion years. The size of the universe is said to be at least 90 billion light years across. The furthest visible object is some 13 billion light years from us making the visible universe 26 billion light years across (given the time lapse those distant objects have moved away).

So please explain this 'inflationary period' that alloys the universe to have expanded so much in so short a time.

Mathematical physics is gibbberish. That is your explanation 303. (There is the most probable reason of the universe at the end of the link)

Old 02-12-2015, 03:04 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manygeese View Post
You better get an answer to how the universe came to be first.
First there was nothing, and then it exploded.

Quote:

I'm not a physicist, but could it have anything to do with what we learned earlier - that space can expand at faster than the speed of light?

Old 02-12-2015, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manygeese View Post
Mathematical physics is gibbberish. That is your explanation 303. (There is the most probable reason of the universe at the end of the link)
I'm not sure how you can conclude that I'm explaining mathematical physics to be gibberish? I asked for what I thought to be a simple explanation on the inflationary period. I've pointed out where my dilemma lies i.e. what I am not fathoming.

Here is a quote;
Quote:
The goal of physics today is to develop this quantum theory of gravity so that we may one day understand what exactly happened around the moment of the big bang to get the universe started.
However, my question is about the 'period of inflation'. Has that been discovered through observation or has it been introduced into the theory to make the theory fit observations?

Last edited by 303Guy; 02-12-2015 at 10:13 PM..

Old 02-12-2015, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
First there was nothing, and then it exploded.

I'm not a physicist, but could it have anything to do with what we learned earlier - that space can expand at faster than the speed of light?
That's what I would like to know. And in which time frame?

Old 02-13-2015, 02:32 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Quote:
That's what I would like to know. And in which time frame?
Well, until one of the heavyweights on this thread can respond, you could do worse than look over the Wikipedia article: Big Bang - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-13-2015, 02:43 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,250,645 times
If the laws of nature were created in the big bang, there is no reason to believe those laws would be constant. Some of them could be gradually changing in their time and space, as that time and space gets farther from the big bang. That makes all the questions about the big bang more complicated. When using the laws of nature to explain what happened when, you have to take into account what the laws of nature were then.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:24 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,347,725 times
First, if any of you think manygeese has smartness to contribute, you'd be wisest to just ignore the buffoon. He's an excellent case of dementia in the later stages. Till then, safely ignore the buffoon, and hope he leave the physics for us with functional brains and less jibjab.

I've been quiet here, mostly because pregnant wife make a busy life. I'm not a biology major, so I'm still learning the names of all the parts involved and all the fun stuff that goes along with that.

Now, onto the science.....

303guy, inflation is one of the toughest things to understand. We can blame Einsteins popularity in telling us nothing can exceed the speed of light. Inflation lasted only a tiny fraction of a second. The big thing people don't realize is that space is not matter or energy, so Einsteins statements don't apply to space. Therefore, space can expand as fast as it wants, beyond the speed of light. If space is lumpy and then smooths out and expands flat, suddenly, objects are able to move WITH space at whatever speed space decides to expand. Thus, inflation. If you could blow up a wrinkly balloon with dots on it, you'd watch the dots move away from each other even though the dots arent actually moving. Blow the balloon up fast enough, and the dots appear to move beyond the speed of light relative to each other. Dots are matter/energy, and the balloon is space. And that balloon just made inflation! It's really as simple as that. :-)

Inflation as a theory has been well established and considered proven by observations from WMAP looking at the cosmic microwave background and ever since by higher resolution maps from other sources.

Ben

Old 02-14-2015, 01:05 AM

Thanks Ben. Much obliged. Congratulations on your coming child.

So if spacetime expands and takes matter with it and then the expansion or inflation slows, the matter would then be left travelling through space? And perhaps even appear to accelerate?

Another question, is there any hint of where the actual centre of the universe may lie? Or at least in which direction it might lie?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space