Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2015, 10:42 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,813,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NABILBB View Post
I just saw this thread, very nice, Thanks for doing this. here is a question

What is pulling the stars/planets that are located at the edge of the observable Universe to stay in our universe? is the gravity of the Sun that strong?
Pulling by our sun? They are simply being dragged along by the expanding universe. The universe doesn't end at the current observable limits. That limit is only determined by light's travel time from those distant objects. Gravity, the warping of space by objects of mass, of our sun is so below negligible, you could consider it negligible ^negligible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 11:10 AM

1,713 posts, read 2,346,737 times
[quote=saltine;39256415]
Quote:

Does anything detectable travel faster than light? The world may never know
No particle does, no. Space itself can expand faster than the speed of light, because space is not a particle. That's how the inflation period of the big bang happened. The space between "stuff" expanded faster than light can travel.

Quote:
I just saw this thread, very nice, Thanks for doing this. here is a question

What is pulling the stars/planets that are located at the edge of the observable Universe to stay in our universe? is the gravity of the Sun that strong?
There is no "edge" that we know of. We simply can not see an "edge" because we can only see as far as light can travel in 13.8 billion years. Every second we age, the Observable Universe gets bigger by one light second.

Planets are within their stars gravitational attraction, stars are within the galaxies gravity, and galaxies are all in a cluster themselves. The bigger the mass and the closer you are to something, the stronger the gravity is. Big things attract little things. :-)

Old 04-17-2015, 11:20 AM

121 posts, read 136,398 times
I used the word "edge" just to express something that is really far away, but I know there is no edge.

So, does that mean all planets have stars? so let's say, a star that is really far away with its planet, what is keeping this star in our Galaxy? I know that the star attract the planets around it, but what attracts the star itself in our Galaxy?

Sorry, this might be a stupid question

Old 04-17-2015, 11:39 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,813,167 times
Quote:
I used the word "edge" just to express something that is really far away, but I know there is no edge.

So, does that mean all planets have stars? so let's say, a star that is really far away with its planet, what is keeping this star in our Galaxy? I know that the star attract the planets around it, but what attracts the star itself in our Galaxy?

The mass of the galaxie. There are "rogue planets" <= google

Old 04-17-2015, 03:49 PM

3,644 posts, read 4,494,397 times
Quote:
It's speculation at best, of course, because there's no way to test for this in any way shape or form with the technology and understanding we have now. A few years ago WMAP data looked like it showed evidence that our Universe had collided with another, which later was shown untrue with higher resolution data from Planck.

However, if I was a betting man (Which I am!), I would propose that we are in one of many Universes. It seems perfectly logical. The big question to me, is which type of a Multiverse would be the correct one, not whether or not there is a Multiverse, and how would we detect it?

But if the total energy of our Universe = 0, is there even a Universe to begin with? Oh, the paradoxes.....
Well, string theory and M-theory definitely suggest it...but there are just too many paradoxes...that means that ANYTHING that can happen, will happen. Is happening. Has already happened. Will always happen, and has always happened. That time doesn't exist. One could essentially just wake up in another life in another universe after you "die".

That means there are an infinite amount of Earth's where everything is exactly the same but it differs only in the number of mosquitos. Another one with 1 less tree. There must also be a "world" that is nothing but a brick wall, and that "world" is infinitely tall. So we could just run into a brick wall somewhere in the multiverse?

Something just does not sound right about that.

The energy of the universe = 0? Well, I suppose all that means is all the negative energy and positive energy cancel out.

I didn't know the WMAP ever suggested that, that's pretty interesting I wonder what the error was. Do you have any links? WMAP is a major success though that's for sure...it only gace us our new Standard Model of Cosmology! It also measured the echo of our Big Bang itself, giving us a pretty accurate age of our universe..down to 13.7by, (+/-)0.2. Impressive stuff

Old 04-17-2015, 04:57 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
...... That time doesn't exist. One could essentially just wake up in another life in another universe after you "die".
I once heard this story by a man who insisted it was true, had actually happened to him: One day walking along, nothing unusual happening, when he blacked out briefly. He woke up being born on an entirely different planet, different sun, different color atmosphere. He lived a long life there, growing up, participating in work and society, eventually growing old and dying.

Then he woke up where he had been taking a walk on Planet Earth, same age as he was, same day he had left - with all memories of his unearthly life intact.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:02 PM

Quote:

The sun (and all stars in our galaxy) is orbiting the center of the galaxy, which is where Sgr A*is located...and it is believed there is a supermassive black hole there.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:24 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,346,737 times
Quote:

There are most likely as many rogue planets as there are gravitationally bound planets. However, none will have the velocity to escape their galaxy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I once heard this story by a man who insisted it was true, had actually happened to him: One day walking along, nothing unusual happening, when he blacked out briefly. He woke up being born on an entirely different planet, different sun, different color atmosphere. He lived a long life there, growing up, participating in work and society, eventually growing old and dying.

Then he woke up where he had been taking a walk on Planet Earth, same age as he was, same day he had left - with all memories of his unearthly life intact.
Sounds like a case of psilocybin mushrooms to me.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:53 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beninfl View Post
........Sounds like a case of psilocybin mushrooms to me.
If so, I'm going to move back to Seattle and live in the park meadows.

Old 04-18-2015, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninfl View Post
There are most likely as many rogue planets as there are gravitationally bound planets. However, none will have the velocity to escape their galaxy.

Sounds like a case of psilocybin mushrooms to me.
Was my post too long to address? :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space