Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are there intelligent aliens and are they coming here?
No, I don't believe any of it. 6 13.33%
Yes, they exist and they are showing themselves to us to get ready for "the landing." 10 22.22%
I don't know. They might be out there but too little evidence exists and there is no proof. 29 64.44%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 01:07 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,931,766 times

Advertisements

Your comments so far have been largely thoughtful and open minded. I like that!

I have always been fascinated by science, space and lots of other subjects where we have so little knowlege and lots and lots of possibilities. Personally, I can't wait for the next round of discoveries on the subject, no matter where they lead or how small the steps. O, and I'm glad US is getting into space again.

Thanks, all, for your input. Keep on dreamin'!

PS: THANKS VERY MUCH FOR VOTING!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 01:16 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,410,406 times
i hope there are aliens

these people on earth bore me

Old 12-03-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
i hope there are aliens

these people on earth bore me
lol. Be careful, they might have purposes that don't match yours. Lunch, for instance.

Old 12-03-2013, 03:51 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Where else would they be from?

I do believe there is life on other planets.
I could not pick any of your poll choices.

Whether or not we will meet them is beyond me. I don't know why they'd just be lurking around.
I doubt they are.

Maybe there is a darn good reason for keeping everyone separated, too...

Old 12-03-2013, 11:55 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,310,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

Whether or not we will meet them is beyond me. I don't know why they'd just be lurking around.
I doubt they are.

Based on Stephen Hawking's remarks about the fate of the Native Americans when coming into contact with the Europeans, it seems he would agree with you.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:40 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
I suspect we are missing the point of the universe,while with billions of star systems in billions of galaxies there are probably sentient life forms out there the vast distances have me puzzled,
Just to get to our nearest neighboring star would take an 8 year round trip assuming you could instantly accelerate to the speed of light then stop on a dime, the cost to do this would be enormous.
Im thinking while there are probably many planets with some level of sentient life forms the main players of the universes arent us. but a different type of life entirely with a totally different reason for being,perhaps a life form that doesnt need to travel but communicates with its brethern through light alone,lives many billions of years and has a sentience derived from gravity rather than biology..

Last edited by jambo101; 12-04-2013 at 09:28 AM..

Old 12-04-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

I doubt they are.

Sorry if that was confusing. I was trying to avoid slap-stick comments about illegal aliens from other countries...

You could be right about the possible necessity of keeping life forms away from each other; I just hope that we don't find out about it the hard way!

Thanks for considering my question, anyway. Good comments and conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
Based on Stephen Hawking's remarks about the fate of the Native Americans when coming into contact with the Europeans, it seems he would agree with you.
You and Hawking have a good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I suspect we are missing the point of the universe,while with billions of star systems in billions of galaxies there are probably sentient life forms out there the vast distances have me puzzled,
Just to get to our nearest neighboring star would take an 8 year round trip assuming you could instantly accelerate to the speed of light then stop on a dime, the cost to do this would be enormous.
Im thinking while there are probably many planets with some level of sentient life forms the main players of the universes arent us. but a different type of life entirely with a totally different reason for being,perhaps a life form that doesnt need to travel but communicates with its brethern through light alone,lives many billions of years and has a sentience derived from gravity rather than biology..
Yes, I think you may be right about various life forms; really, why not? It seems unlikely that we might represent the average or norm in the universe.

Humans have a long way to go to answer these questions and we've barely taken our first step. For those of us with active imaginations, the wait is hard.

Thank you all for your comments. I'm enjoying our conversation and I hope you are as well.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:55 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,837,936 times

Maybe this is what they could have in mind....

Old 12-04-2013, 02:17 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,310,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanD'Arc View Post

Yes, I think you may be right about various life forms; really, why not? It seems unlikely that we might represent the average or norm in the universe.

Humans have a long way to go to answer these questions and we've barely taken our first step. For those of us with active imaginations, the wait is hard.

Thank you all for your comments. I'm enjoying our conversation and I hope you are as well.
As I recall, there was a symposium where they speculated what some of the physical characteristics of intelligent life would be (especially those that could develop interstellar travel). I don't recall at all what the results of those discussions were, but my thoughts would be that those life forms would most likely possess:

-Well developed brains (obviously)

-Some form of opposibility in their grip (to manipulate objects around them and build tools)

-Binocular vision (for depth perception)

Old 12-04-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 124c41 View Post

Maybe this is what they could have in mind....
Yup. That was a good episode!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space