U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 10:35 PM

16,308 posts, read 26,156,020 times

Advertisements

“Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey,” a rollicking 13-part tour of the universe to be broadcast on Fox and National Geo starting on Sunday March 9, hosted by Neil deGrasse Tyson, who as a high school student was invited to Cornell by Carl Sagan. Neil will pick up where Sagan left off 34 years ago.

I can't wait, DVR already programmed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 02:00 PM

1,852 posts, read 2,713,694 times
Yes we are super excited. I cancelled my cable years ago but I still have a digital antenna. I will be breaking it out of its box and hooking it up just so I can watch this.

Old 03-05-2014, 03:07 PM

843 posts, read 1,994,246 times
I only get about 3 days of listings for OTA digital.. will be flagging this for recording as soon as I've got the listing.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:14 PM

16,308 posts, read 26,156,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
I only get about 3 days of listings for OTA digital.. will be flagging this for recording as soon as I've got the listing.
Try TitanTV you can set it up for OTA, cable, or satellite providers. Provides listing for 2 weeks in advance.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:46 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,067,543 times
You can always watch it for free on VIP Box | VIPBox TV - VIP Stand Sports On Demand For Free or firstrowsports.eu -- Click Live TV listings and then pick the channel.

PS -- Dont click any "HD" links, they require registration and downloading an app. The regular streams are usually in HD already.

Also great for UFC!

Old 03-08-2014, 07:58 PM

4,228 posts, read 5,366,020 times
I'm excited about this but really curious. I can't believe it's on such a major network as FOX. Even the science cable channels (I'm looking at you, Discovery) have walked away from quality science programming so I had just assumed there was a tiny audience in these things. I sure hope that people watch this and learn.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:57 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,067,543 times
Did Discovery or other channels get offered the show first? If so, did they decline it? Fox is a much broader audience than Discovery!

Old 03-09-2014, 04:05 AM

3,733 posts, read 6,961,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
science cable channels (I'm looking at you, Discovery) have walked away from quality science programming
I have noticed this too. It is very sad. So many networks that used to provide quality programming related to their station titles and origins now run "reality" tv instead.

I find news of a continuation of the Cosmos series exciting. I think Mr. Tyson will do well at continuing in Carl Sagan's footsteps, despite being the destroyer of Pluto. ()

Old 03-09-2014, 04:19 AM

1,852 posts, read 2,713,694 times
Tyson has spent a good portion of his career trying to reignite the passion people had for science back in the 60's and 70's and Cosmos came at a time when people were scared stiff of being nuked into oblivion. It showed people how insignificant our differences and disagreements really were by presenting the Earth in the grand scheme of the universe. It really captivated the viewing public.

The threat of nuclear oblivion isn't as high nowadays as it was during the Cold War but I still think now is a good time to bring back Cosmos. Economies around the world are teetering on the brink and optimism about the future isn't as high as it once was. I hope Dr. Tyson is able to recapture the public even a little the same way Carl Sagan did and give them something to wonder about. If he does then the show will be a rousing success in my book.

Old 03-09-2014, 06:38 AM

4,228 posts, read 5,366,020 times
Default Seth McFarlane

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninfl View Post
Did Discovery or other channels get offered the show first? If so, did they decline it? Fox is a much broader audience than Discovery!
He's apparently a big fan of science in general and the show in particular, ran into NDT, heard his idea for a reboot, and offered to pitch it to Fox. Fox would probably air Seth McFarlane doing crosswords if he pitched them that, so here we go.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/showtracker/la-et-st-qa-seth-macfarlane-cosmos-science-creationism-20140305,0,4963186.story#axzz2vSqEJ8nb

Cosmos did great for PBS back in the day, so maybe they're holding out hope for a repeat. I don't think they're expecting great ratings, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space