Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 12:39 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,296,718 times

Advertisements

i was reading something where they were saying it is possible to watch a supernova "live"!

That just sounds silly (unless i'm thinking about it wrong), when you consider the light from the supernova takes many years to travel to our neck of the wood.....

Were the authors perhaps referring to the "live" event as something that happened a long time ago, but the process/explosion is so quick (matter of days) that you'd be able to see the 'whole thing', even though it actually happened maybe millions of years ago?

thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 01:42 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,634,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
i was reading something where they were saying it is possible to watch a supernova "live"!

That just sounds silly (unless i'm thinking about it wrong), when you consider the light from the supernova takes many years to travel to our neck of the wood.....

Were the authors perhaps referring to the "live" event as something that happened a long time ago, but the process/explosion is so quick (matter of days) that you'd be able to see the 'whole thing', even though it actually happened maybe millions of years ago?

thoughts?
At a guess, it probably means a live webcast discussing the event. Are you talking about this? Galaxy M82 is about 12 million light years away. It was observed January 21, 2014 at the University of London Observatory by Dr Steve Fossey and a team of 4 of his students.

See the New Supernova in Galaxy M82 Today in Live Webcast | Space.com

Messier 82 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-26-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
At a guess, it probably means a live webcast discussing the event. Are you talking about this? Galaxy M82 is about 12 million light years away. It was observed January 21, 2014 at the University of London Observatory by Dr Steve Fossey and a team of 4 of his students.

See the New Supernova in Galaxy M82 Today in Live Webcast | Space.com

Messier 82 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
lol
no. i'm not 'that' stooopeeed!

Old 03-26-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
lol
no. i'm not 'that' stooopeeed!
Nah! We all have our moments.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:24 PM

Anyone have an answer?

Old 03-26-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Anyone have an answer?
If that's not what you're talking about, then it'd be really helpful if you'd post a link to the article.

It is possible to see a supernova. At the time we see it from our viewpoint here on Earth, that's what it would appear to us now. In that sense it would be "live". However, since the supernova is an huge distance away, what we would be seeing is the light from it. But the light from the event would've traveled x number of years to reach us. So if the event is 100,000 light years away, then we are just now seeing an event that happened 100,000 light years ago.

On the other hand, if what you are wondering about is the duration of a supernova explosion, the explosion itself can be just a matter of seconds. But that's only part of it because the superheated interstellar gas can remain bright in X-rays for tens of thousands of years as the force of the bast plows through it.

You can never actually see events the instant they happen because they are always events of the past. If the Sun were to suddenly vanish, it'd take about 8 minutes before we'd know anything about it.

Does that answer your question?

Old 03-27-2014, 11:40 AM

1,713 posts, read 2,347,477 times
Quote:
Anyone have an answer?
If your in the front row of a rock concert, listening to Rihanna jam out her latest music, and she's 20 feet away, your seeing her perform LIVE.

Are you, though?

Sure, your there, your at the concert, and she's only 20 feet away!

But light takes 20 nanoseconds to get to you 20 feet away. (1 nanosecond per foot). So what is LIVE to you, is PAST for her.

Same thing with the supernovae, they are LIVE to you, but there's a lot more distance between you, and many more nanoseconds.

Everything is relative.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:40 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,365,559 times
Well, if our OWN Sun were to go, half of us (or so) would get to see it live (or 7 minutes or so delayed). But somehow, I don't think that's what's on the playlist.

Then again, I don't think our own Sun COULD go supernova, as it's not big enough.

Perish the thought that anyone would wanna sell tix for that event. LOL

Old 03-27-2014, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
Well, if our OWN Sun were to go, half of us (or so) would get to see it live (or 7 minutes or so delayed). But somehow, I don't think that's what's on the playlist.

Then again, I don't think our own Sun COULD go supernova, as it's not big enough.

Perish the thought that anyone would wanna sell tix for that event. LOL
You're right on both counts. The only reason for mentioning 'the Sun going out or disappearing' scenario is just to illustrate that it would take a few minutes before anyone would notice because that's how far away it is from us.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:59 AM

2,403 posts, read 5,240,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beninfl View Post
If your in the front row of a rock concert, listening to Rihanna jam out her latest music, and she's 20 feet away, your seeing her perform LIVE.

Are you, though?

Sure, your there, your at the concert, and she's only 20 feet away!

But light takes 20 nanoseconds to get to you 20 feet away. (1 nanosecond per foot). So what is LIVE to you, is PAST for her.

Same thing with the supernovae, they are LIVE to you, but there's a lot more distance between you, and many more nanoseconds.

Everything is relative.
OK, I can't take it anymore! The word is "you're" as in you are, not "your" as in belonging to you. They are not interchangeable. Take that Mr. Brainiac! And I will correct you on another point, Rihanna creates noise not music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space