Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 04:41 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,252,671 times

Advertisements

Whenever we see or imagine new people incoming, we immediately think "attack/defeat". We never think possible friend with possibly something to share. Maybe this is why we are all so well separated from each other and may dark matter, with its extra gravity keep us that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 01:41 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,066,160 times
The reason we immediately think attack is because we would have absolutely nothing technology or information wise that they would need or want. The only reason a visitation would ever happen is for the natural resources of the earth (which even that is highly unlikely because the universe is resource-rich as Glitch already pointed out). It would be easier for them to just wipe us out and/or take what they want rather than having to deal diplomatically with an unpredictable and hostile species as we are. Even if they didn't attack, we would. We can't even get over regional and political differences let alone interplanetary differences through different species. When was the last time you asked a monkey if it was okay with him that you could cut down his tree for the wood?

To quote Neil DeGrasse Tyson:
"The only think that separates us from monkeys is a 2% change in DNA. All of our sciences, arts, technology, comes from that 2%. Now imagine a species that is just 2% different from us in the same direction that we are from monkeys. We would look like blithering idiots to them."

Old 04-26-2014, 02:08 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,252,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
The reason we immediately think attack is because we would have absolutely nothing technology or information wise that they would need or want. The only reason a visitation would ever happen is for the natural resources of the earth (which even that is highly unlikely because the universe is resource-rich as Glitch already pointed out). It would be easier for them to just wipe us out and/or take what they want rather than having to deal diplomatically with an unpredictable and hostile species as we are. Even if they didn't attack, we would. We can't even get over regional and political differences let alone interplanetary differences through different species. When was the last time you asked a monkey if it was okay with him that you could cut down his tree for the wood?

To quote Neil DeGrasse Tyson:
"The only think that separates us from monkeys is a 2% change in DNA. All of our sciences, arts, technology, comes from that 2%. Now imagine a species that is just 2% different from us in the same direction that we are from monkeys. We would look like blithering idiots to them."
Everything you say is true, of course. Attack is bred in our genes from the time we first stood on two legs. I only wanted to point out how remotely possible and grand it would be for a shipload to fly in simply because they, like our scientists, were investigating "to see what is there". And is it inevitable that these visitors would come prepared to attack and take? Nevermind. I'm a dreamer but I do know the unfortunate facts.

Monkeys? Do you know this poem and is it permitted to post it here? Author is unknown. Does that put it in public domain? It is one of my favorites.

Three Monkeys Agree

Old 04-26-2014, 02:40 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
As beautiful as Earth is it's a fixer-upper. Between cleaning up the pollution, redecorating, And having to deal with the still basically primitive inhabitants I think like Glitch said there is much more real estate that would be desirable. We are not ready for even benevolent contact anyway, Even Neil Degrasse-Tyson and Stephen hawking have said visitation would not be good for us or them.

Old 04-26-2014, 07:36 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,622,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
You and I have very different views about rattlesnakes. By age 12 my brother and I caught diamondbacks and sold them for $5/snake for their venom. The snakes were then released a few days latter. We sold dozens of rattlers, and never got bit. I would certainly never kill one.
Oh, no, no - that was a collective "we," rather than an imperial "we." I love pit vipers. It was one of the things I disliked about living in Minnesota; there were only a few places you could catch rattlers. Now I'm in Kentucky, and it's copperhead country - which makes me happier than a pig in a mud puddle. It's one of my favorite snakes. I think a freshly-shed copperhead is the most beautiful snake in North America; just haven't had much luck finding any yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
First, we are just now starting to develop interplanetary spaceflight. There is no way we will ever develop interstellar spaceflight. That will always remain in the realm of science fiction. So there is no need for any other lifeforms to be concerned.

Second, why would anyone come all this way just to wipe us out if we are doing such a good job of it already?

I think it's theoretically possible that interstellar travel would be within our technological reach, but I expect us to exterminate ourselves before we achieve it. I just hope it's not before they finish "Game of Thrones."

Old 04-27-2014, 12:07 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
The only reason a visitation would ever happen is for the natural resources of the earth (which even that is highly unlikely because the universe is resource-rich as Glitch already pointed out)."
I think whatever resources Earth might have could be found on millions of uninhabited planets,wiping us out to get what Earth has seems illogical...
Thinking like a human I'd think a space faring civilization would want to study other sentient life forms rather than wipe them out,

Old 04-28-2014, 08:43 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,567,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollaGeo View Post
Let's say Earth was attacked by a hostile alien race. Do we have the technology to defend ourselves?
Probably not but in the movies Earth usually finds a way to win.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:25 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,910,771 times
yes. we send jeff goldblum and will smith up to their base and destroy them. or our atmosphere kills em at some point.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:42 PM

3,315 posts, read 2,131,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollaGeo View Post
Let's say Earth was attacked by a hostile alien race. Do we have the technology to defend ourselves?
Absolutely not.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:05 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,680,578 times
Why would an alien race want to invade us? For what reason?

There is an abundance of resources in the universe. Habitable planets are not rare, it is very common. Space is too vast.

If an alien race looked at us it would be like how the Europeans came to America and started killing American Indians except an easier way would be simply send some type of weather and climate changing catalyst that will kill us in a very short time without wasting time and resource fighting us head on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space