Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2014, 11:38 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,253,106 times

Advertisements

Do I have it right? In common parlance, scientists believe that dark matter - and, moreso, dark energy - feed/nourish our known baryonic/elementary matter and that what they are looking for is one small link to prove that connection? And what they are suspecting is an unknown particle that connects to our known particles?

Just trying to wrap my brain around the vocabulary and how it all falls together. I get lost on HADES' pairing of particles and wonder if one is the known and one the unknown/dark particle. At this stage, HADES has crossed off the dark photon and is searching for another connection. Right?

My main question is are the scientists suspecting that dark matter and dark energy are in some way keeping the known universe functioning and growing?

HADES searches for dark matter: Astrophysicists cross 'Dark Photon' off the list in top position -- ScienceDaily

Thanks for thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 10:41 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Do I have it right? In common parlance, scientists believe that dark matter - and, moreso, dark energy - feed/nourish our known baryonic/elementary matter and that what they are looking for is one small link to prove that connection? And what they are suspecting is an unknown particle that connects to our known particles?

Just trying to wrap my brain around the vocabulary and how it all falls together. I get lost on HADES' pairing of particles and wonder if one is the known and one the unknown/dark particle. At this stage, HADES has crossed off the dark photon and is searching for another connection. Right?

My main question is are the scientists suspecting that dark matter and dark energy are in some way keeping the known universe functioning and growing?

HADES searches for dark matter: Astrophysicists cross 'Dark Photon' off the list in top position -- ScienceDaily

Thanks for thoughts.
"Feed/Nourish" would not be the right adjectives. "Coexist" might be a better adjective choice.

There are only two things that we know about Dark Matter:
  1. It has gravity; and
  2. It does not interact with electromagnetic radiation (we cannot see it).
Since the 1990s they have been looking for a theoretical particle called a WIMP, which is just an acronym for Weakly Interacting Massive Particle, as a candidate for Dark Matter. Thus far they have found nothing.

I also have a problem with this statement from the article:
"While evidences for the Higgs boson were found recently at CERN, the Standard Model looks now complete when supplemented by some neutrino masses, and nothing else seems to be needed to understand the wealth of atomic, sub-nuclear and particle physics phenomena."
The Standard Model is far from complete, and neutrinos are massless. We obviously still have no explanation for Dark Matter, or gravity for that matter, and until we do it would be inaccurate to say the Standard Model for particle physics is complete.

It has been theorized that after the Big Bang and Inflation that the universe continued to expand, albeit at a much slower speed, until somewhere between 6 and 8 billion years after the Big Bang. At that point the universe began accelerating due to the effects of Dark Energy. It has been suggested that Dark Matter and Dark Energy were created at the same instant as everything else, but for the first 6 to 8 billion years Dark Matter held Dark Energy in check. However, as the universe continued to expand, so did Dark Energy until it eventually overwhelmed Dark Matter and began the universe on an accelerated expansion.

Dark Energy is what they are claiming is the cause for the acceleration of the universe. We know absolutely nothing about Dark Energy. We do know, however, that Dark Matter has gravity. Which would have the tendency to slow the universe if it could, but Dark Matter appears to have lost that battle with Dark Energy about 5.8 to 7.8 billion years ago.

The article also uses different names for essentially the same thing. A Dark Photon is also called a Hidden Photon, Heavy Photon, A', and a U-boson. Like the WIMP particle, its existence is entirely theoretical.

As far as where the article states: "Astrophysicists now crossed one potential Dark Matter candidate -- the Dark Photon or U boson -- off the list in top position." I would just like to point out that "the absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

Old 05-14-2014, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
"Feed/Nourish" would not be the right adjectives. "Coexist" might be a better adjective choice.

There are only two things that we know about Dark Matter:
  1. It has gravity; and
  2. It does not interact with electromagnetic radiation (we cannot see it).
Since the 1990s they have been looking for a theoretical particle called a WIMP, which is just an acronym for Weakly Interacting Massive Particle, as a candidate for Dark Matter. Thus far they have found nothing.

I also have a problem with this statement from the article:
"While evidences for the Higgs boson were found recently at CERN, the Standard Model looks now complete when supplemented by some neutrino masses, and nothing else seems to be needed to understand the wealth of atomic, sub-nuclear and particle physics phenomena."
The Standard Model is far from complete, and neutrinos are massless. We obviously still have no explanation for Dark Matter, or gravity for that matter, and until we do it would be inaccurate to say the Standard Model for particle physics is complete.

It has been theorized that after the Big Bang and Inflation that the universe continued to expand, albeit at a much slower speed, until somewhere between 6 and 8 billion years after the Big Bang. At that point the universe began accelerating due to the effects of Dark Energy. It has been suggested that Dark Matter and Dark Energy were created at the same instant as everything else, but for the first 6 to 8 billion years Dark Matter held Dark Energy in check. However, as the universe continued to expand, so did Dark Energy until it eventually overwhelmed Dark Matter and began the universe on an accelerated expansion.

Dark Energy is what they are claiming is the cause for the acceleration of the universe. We know absolutely nothing about Dark Energy. We do know, however, that Dark Matter has gravity. Which would have the tendency to slow the universe if it could, but Dark Matter appears to have lost that battle with Dark Energy about 5.8 to 7.8 billion years ago.

The article also uses different names for essentially the same thing. A Dark Photon is also called a Hidden Photon, Heavy Photon, A', and a U-boson. Like the WIMP particle, its existence is entirely theoretical.

As far as where the article states: "Astrophysicists now crossed one potential Dark Matter candidate -- the Dark Photon or U boson -- off the list in top position." I would just like to point out that "the absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."
All right. One thing I see right away. Dark matter and Dark energy are not necessarily working "in partnership" to control the universe. That is the idea I was having. Other than that, a lot to glean from your reply. I'll read it again and learn more. Thank you.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:33 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
All right. One thing I see right away. Dark matter and Dark energy are not necessarily working "in partnership" to control the universe. That is the idea I was having. Other than that, a lot to glean from your reply. I'll read it again and learn more. Thank you.
Dark Matter and Dark Energy are actually working in opposite directions. Since Dark Matter has gravity, it attracts objects with mass toward it. While Dark Energy is a repulsive force, pushing away all matter (including Dark Matter) in every direction.

As the universe accelerates, the more Dark Energy will dominate the universe.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Dark Matter and Dark Energy are actually working in opposite directions. Since Dark Matter has gravity, it attracts objects with mass toward it. While Dark Energy is a repulsive force, pushing away all matter (including Dark Matter) in every direction.

As the universe accelerates, the more Dark Energy will dominate the universe.
I think I have a wrong definition of 'energy' as far as the universe is concerned. Onward and Upward! Thanks.

Old 05-16-2014, 06:02 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,346,737 times
These four videos should help. It'll take 4 hours to watch, but well worth it if you want to get close to the current state of Dark Matter and Dark Energy.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:19 PM

Thanks, beninfl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space