Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 09:34 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,838,690 times

Advertisements

I've taken the National Geographic Genom test. I'll know the amount of Neandertal dna in about 2 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 01:52 AM

11,019 posts, read 5,984,846 times
I met a Neanderthal this weekend on the ferry!

This sturdy looking fellow with powerful hands started a chat with us and this led to me commenting on my partner's son becoming more and more like a Neanderthal from all his weightlifting. He laughed and said he was one. He took off his beanie to show us his prominent brow. He could easily pass as one. A big strong friendly fellow, chatting with anyone and everyone. Quite intelligent too.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:57 AM

Don't forget, Neanderthals had bigger brains than Cro-magnons. They probably just used their brains in different ways than cm. Also they had better vision and better since of smell.

Also, I've been wondering if it were possible that all of the Cro-magnon and Neanderthal went exstinct leaving the hybrid offspring to inherit the earth. That could be the reason that everyone has some of neanderthal dna, otherwise there would be the majority that don't have the dna and only a small minority that would have the dna.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:22 AM

47 posts, read 48,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
Don't forget, Neanderthals had bigger brains than Cro-magnons. They probably just used their brains in different ways than cm. Also they had better vision and better since of smell.

Also, I've been wondering if it were possible that all of the Cro-magnon and Neanderthal went extinct leaving the hybrid offspring to inherit the earth. That could be the reason that everyone has some of neanderthal dna, otherwise there would be the majority that don't have the dna and only a small minority that would have the dna.
Uh oh, a typo? Contrary to your earlier post, AFIAK sub saharan Africans have no Neanderthal DNA. Or at least our present studies have shown, and that is quite likely faulty. Certainly at least some of the remaining Neanderthal DNA in non sub saharan folk is bone structure, skin pigment, etc that is related to specialized situations in those countries. If the DNA had such a great advantage, then a return flow to deep Africa would have taken place, and absolutely no evidence seems to support that. Hypothetically true, but not based on the information on hand we now have.

Outside of the Sub Sahara, from 1% to 4% is the figure usually given, so a typo perhaps.

Just because they had larger brains does not automatically mean it would be of superior value. There have been many very intelligent people with small brains, although the amount of brain folds does seem to make a difference. Also, more often species (or societies!) that die out to a apparently less gifted group usually are overspecialized and hit a glitch. The Neanderthals died out at the height of the ice age was one issue, but more importantly the climate had just gone through wild swings hot and cold, dry and wet, IIRC. That could have been enough.

Neanderthals bone injuries have been shown to match one occupation on present Homo Sapiens: Bronco Busters! This indicates close grappling and other contact with very large animals, and in the case of our Neanderthal friends that activity would be hunting rather than sport. Like the Tarsier, one can have a very specialized intelligence. Just between this thread group and myself, Tarsiers are not very intelligent. But they have immense athletic intelligence, specifically to jump 20 feet or more laterally without elevation change without a miss. One of the best ambush and stealth tribes running around historically were the Ancient Spartans, by-the-way.

About people nowadays who seem to look like, the most facially Neanderthal common looking (surface level) people I have personally encountered were Australian Aborigine purebloods in Northern Territories and to a lesser degree, the same in Kimberley region of Western Australia. Some had huge beetlebrow ridges and all, and one nice young gal was almost frightening. But she was a very kind soul.

Old 06-10-2014, 02:59 AM

11,019 posts, read 5,984,846 times
Quote:
... sub saharan Africans have no Neanderthal DNA.
My understanding is that all sub-Saharan Africans have Neanderthal DNA by virtue of the fact that Neanderthal's descended from their common ancestry. Europeans and Asians with higher Neanderthal DNA would therefore have descended from those individuals who had interbred with them. That would be all of us non sub-Saharan's.

P.S. What is this thread doing under "Space"? Interesting as it is.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:37 AM

What we actally need is a pure science thread.

Old 07-03-2014, 02:01 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,163,488 times
Quote:
What we actally need is a pure science thread.
There IS one, the next level up from here: Science and Technology

Old 07-03-2014, 08:15 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,619,551 times
Quote:
I think we will find that body hair is a trait of neanderthal as is smoking, blond hair, red hair, blue eyes, green eyes. And dare I say (not pc), homosexuality, due to some men not able to have satisfying sex. Some of the results are already saying that male babies were infertile. I was just finishing the sentence.

The major advantage is the immune system. It appears that most of the h. Sapiens were killed off by bacteria, warfare, etc. And that the baby hybrids had the ammunity to survive the deseases they encountered once they left Africa. Otherwise, we would see some non_Africans without Neanderthal dna. It appears every non-African has some percentage of Neanderthal dna.
My thoughts about Neanderthals ''supposedly'' covered from head to toe with copious amounts of body hair is ''probably'' an over statement as firstly even if they were thickly covered with hair they still would've needed protective clothing from the ravages of the northern latitude low temperatures during the Quaternary Ice Age and secondly I've seen two different DNA studies on human lice showing a divergence of scalp lice and pubic hair lice from either 1.5 MYA (H Erectus) to 3 MYA (Australopithecines) which should have applied to the later Neanderthals as well although I'm intrigued as to why today we Homo Sapien males are covered more so with facial/body hair than Homo Sapien females and while I know that it's connected with males higher testosterone production still none the less as evolution should had made us less covered do to the millions of years where the males were mostly the hunters out on the open African savannah ''walking/running/sprinting'' after prey for hours upon hours in the hot sun hence high body temps and sweating to where as the females should have produced less body heat (yes ladies I know that the ancient females worked very hard as well ) from mostly gathering and being more sedentary in preparing the food, taking care of the young and infirmed etc. back at their sun sheltered living quarters (caves, huts, tents etc.) hence they should epigentically have more body hair than we males although if someone has any thoughts about that I'd like to hear about it?

Last edited by Six Foot Three; 07-03-2014 at 08:55 AM.. Reason: changes - 6/3

Old 07-03-2014, 08:17 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,619,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
If anyone believes Neanderthals never interbred with Homo Sapiens, I suggest they take a look at Ron Perlman and explain what they see.
I was thinking of Mike Tyson .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space