Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 02:11 AM

3,109 posts, read 9,838,690 times

Advertisements

I've gotten into Neaderthsl dna lately. Since 2010, scientist have shown that most people outside of Africa have from 1 to 3% Neaderthal dna. There are several good videos on youtube/neaderthal. I hope I can post on this page. Seems no place for pure science anymore.

Does anyone else have any opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 10:58 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Neanderthals come from space??? Kewl! (you posted in the space sub-forum)

A person I once employed had some pretty amazing traits that I strongly suspect had Neanderthal origins. He was great as a theatre doorman, gentle but huge and strong. No one ever gave him any lip or tried to mess with him. We were adding an auditorium and he asked if it was OK if he took some part time work on the construction crew. I said sure. The next thing I knew there were reports that two of the guys had been trying to move a steel beam unsuccessfully and he just picked it up and said "where do you want it?" When he told me they had offered full-time work at a much higher pay rate, I told him to go for it. Amazing man, but he was illiterate.

A few years after, some scientist came out claiming that the neanderthals never bred with humans. I just went "Right... Sure..." and recognized it as poor science.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:19 PM

I apologize for posting here. I should hsve posted in nature, but I thought this was a science subject. Several years ago this section was fair game for all science.

Since 2010, dna has come a long way and I believe most scientist give credence to a slight mixing of dna between cro-magnon and neaderthal and also a new homonoid known as Denisovan.

http://www.archaeology.about.com/od/hominidan

Last edited by gy2020; 05-15-2014 at 11:27 PM..

Old 05-16-2014, 12:05 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Yac will move the thread if it is a problem. I'm not sure all the sub-forums are such a great idea anyway, but its CDs party.

DNA has come along amazingly fast. What they are doing is way above my head, especially the work on the associated RNA that used to be considered junk.

Old 05-18-2014, 03:57 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,627,628 times
If anyone believes Neanderthals never interbred with Homo Sapiens, I suggest they take a look at Ron Perlman and explain what they see.

Old 05-18-2014, 02:06 PM

47 posts, read 48,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Neanderthals come from space??? Kewl! (you posted in the space sub-forum)
---snip--

A few years after, some scientist came out claiming that the neanderthals never bred with humans. I just went "Right... Sure..." and recognized it as poor science.
In a way, it is about space, as in innerspace:
There's Plenty of Room at the Bottom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The most famous success of innerspace is based upon 1870's light printing technology which was dusted off by Shockley, Moore, et al to make microchips for the US space program. Hence Moore's Law, of doubling abilities roughly every year or two.

DNA sequencing has been moving at a far greater clip than this. What took a billion dollars to do little over a decade ago by years of effort now takes minutes and 100 USD. Fairly soon we will have machines in our house to monitor our daily dna, etc. to do calculations and test and monitor.

Neanderthal and Denisovian mixes are common. I have seen up to 4 percent listed as part Neanderthal, but by what computation?

Neanderthal Genome Reveals Incest, Interbreeding and Mystery : Science : Nature World News

I, too, was highly skeptical of no successful interbreeding with Neanderthals. We are so close, and Neanderthals seem to have increased in abilities quite a bit, which indicates the crucible time and time again of Eastern Central Africa (due to high solar radiation levels??) of successful mutation of successive Eves moved into Europe and Asia. Even donkeys and horses, separated by many millions of years, rarely have offspring (mules) that can reproduce (so far about 100 known examples).

Most people are simply unaware what sex can do, to increase nearby gene pools abilities, and how powerful the effect is on genetic advancement:

Matt Ridley: When ideas have sex | Talk Video | TED.com

My opinion is that we are only beginning to touch what happened and why. Further, some day we shall successfully reconstruct a Neanderthal and the first one of at least majority stock will be born since about 28,000 or so years (from a human surrogate mother, of course, as mammoth is expected from an elephant surrogate). Then we shall know intimately how and why the two cousins were different in the Late Ice Age periods.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:18 PM

I think we will find that body hair is a trait of neanderthal as is smoking, blond hair, red hair, blue eyes, green eyes. And dare I say (not pc), homosexuality, due to some men not able to have satisfying sex. Some of the results are already saying that male babies were infertile. I was just finishing the sentence.

The major advantage is the immune system. It appears that most of the h. Sapiens were killed off by bacteria, warfare, etc. And that the baby hybrids had the ammunity to survive the deseases they encountered once they left Africa. Otherwise, we would see some non_Africans without Neanderthal dna. It appears every non-African has some percentage of Neanderthal dna.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:20 PM

I regret making my previous reply. The inference to homosexuality is not based on science and the inference should not have been drawn. The male babies were infertile and that is all that should have been said.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:26 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,557,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
Since 2010, scientist have shown that most people outside of Africa have from 1 to 3% Neaderthal dna.
Does anyone else have any opinion.
My opinion is that this fact is close to meaningless. Scientists estimate that the point of common ancestry (POCA) was about 10,000 to 20,000 years BCE. The POCA is defined as the most recent point in time when every single human being alive in the world will fall into one of two categories (A) their descendants will die out, or (B) they will be an ancestor of every single person alive in the year 2014. Note that I said "every single" person, no matter how isolated you are, or how much your ethnic group practices endogomy (marriage within the group).

The world population at POCA was probably under a million people. There is no possible way to estimate what percentage is group A or group B.

Since there were almost unquestionably mixed species of Homo Sapiens Sapiens and Neanderthals alive at the POCA, their blood would be here today.

Now the question of whether or not the mixed blood was critical to survival of the HSS species is interesting, but the presence of Neanderthal DNA in modern humans does not help to answer that question at all.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:44 AM

11,019 posts, read 5,984,846 times
Quote:
If anyone believes Neanderthals never interbred with Homo Sapiens, I suggest they take a look at Ron Perlman and explain what they see.
When I saw the movie "House of the Rising Sun" I was convinced Dave Bautista as Ray was a Neandethal. A powerfully built man with an apparently gentle nature. I liked him.

Apparently all Africans have something like 2½ % Neanderthal DNA, having descended from the original ancestors of Neanderthal's from the first wave of migrations out of Africa. Any additional Neanderthal DNA being from Neanderthal's themselves. I think they said the lowest Neanderthal DNA in humans is found in west Africa.

Last edited by 303Guy; 05-20-2014 at 12:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space