Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 03:25 AM

4,246 posts, read 12,026,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Then the center is never actually in one place for long, except for Uranus.

Fixed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 03:35 AM

11,019 posts, read 5,987,049 times
I read somewhere once that there had been detected a slight difference in the expansion rate of the universe in one direction which was suggested could be the direction of the centre or origin of the universe.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:38 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,146,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAllenDoudna View Post
Check the thread on Invisible Planets. Every object in Space follows a predictable path. We speak of "zero gravity" but actually there is always some gravity. This gravity causes all objects to orbit something: The galaxies orbit in clusters and these clusters orbit the center of the Universe. Every star in the galaxy orbits the center of the galaxy. The dark worlds you refer to orbit a path just as the stars do.
Whoa, let's go back a moment here. There is NO center of the universe and galaxies, while gravitationally bound, do not orbit each other in the way a star would orbit a galaxy.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:49 AM

Which is why galaxies can be seen in collision. But what holds galactic clusters together? Are those clusters expanding?

Old 08-29-2014, 10:56 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,636,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
I read somewhere once that there had been detected a slight difference in the expansion rate of the universe in one direction which was suggested could be the direction of the centre or origin of the universe.
Are you talking about the accelerated expansion of space?

Old 08-29-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Which is why galaxies can be seen in collision. But what holds galactic clusters together? Are those clusters expanding?
Most galactic collisionsm if not all, involve galaxies that are gravitationally bound within the clusters. Gravity is what holds the clusters together. The clusters (local clusters) themselves are not necessarily expanding, unless the clusters happen to merge into superclusters. What we find expanding is not local clusters, but rather space itself. However, the accelerated expansion of space is counteracted by gravity within the clusters. The accelerated expansion of space is detected at extremely large scales.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:38 AM

10,019 posts, read 8,635,195 times
Captain Kirk's acting.

Old 08-29-2014, 04:12 PM

553 posts, read 595,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
Whoa, let's go back a moment here. There is NO center of the universe and galaxies, while gravitationally bound, do not orbit each other in the way a star would orbit a galaxy.
Take the mass of all the matter of the Universe and you will be able to calculate the center. The orbits may drift and be influenced by other, closer attractions, but they do orbit.

Old 08-30-2014, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Are you talking about the accelerated expansion of space?
I'm not sure where I saw that, it could have been about the WMAP scan. Why is scan shown as an oval? My apologies OP, there is nothing scary about the WMAP scan or the location of the centre of the universe but it is interesting.

I'm wondering about the orbiting around the centre of the universe, if the big bang really did occur and space itself is expanding then how would matter get into orbit? I can understand a cloud of gas condensing to form a galaxy and stars an such going into a spiral motion but those are condensing, not expanding so I can understand what Lunar Delta is saying.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure where I saw that, it could have been about the WMAP scan. Why is scan shown as an oval? My apologies OP, there is nothing scary about the WMAP scan or the location of the centre of the universe but it is interesting.

I'm wondering about the orbiting around the centre of the universe, if the big bang really did occur and space itself is expanding then how would matter get into orbit? I can understand a cloud of gas condensing to form a galaxy and stars an such going into a spiral motion but those are condensing, not expanding so I can understand what Lunar Delta is saying.
The WMAP scan is shown as oval for a few reasons. Technically, it should be spherical because the scan covers most directions of the universe, but not all of it. The view is a scan of all directions possible from the position of the spacecrafts. What I'm saying is that as human beings we don't possess the ability to see things like that. For example, we can't see all parts of the Earth at the same time. So cartographers spread the maps out flat so we can see the whole Earth. The downside is that certain adjustments have to be made to make it work but it's not a precise view. The shape of WMAP images is similar. If you were to try to wrap that oval shape around though to form a spherical globe, the edges wouldn't work to fit together. So the entire view has been flattened out to provide the best view possible of the entire picture. The center of the WMAP does not represent the center of the universe. It's only from the view looking out from the spacecrafts. Does that help make sense of it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space