Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 11:56 AM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
I just wonder how those who have doubt's about Venus plan on overcoming Mars having about a fourth the gravity of Earth.
Actually, the gravity on Mars is about 38%, or a bit more than a third that of Earth's. I don't know if that is low enough to have a negative affect on health over an extended period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 03:48 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,427,851 times
To really start the space exploration we need cheap energy and artificial gravity. To get artificial gravity we need to understand gravity.

We can establish a human colony in many places in our solar system.

Old 01-10-2015, 12:20 AM

1,230 posts, read 992,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
NASA has plans to live on Venus. Seriously.

In fact, up in the clouds above its scorching surface, Venus is "probably the most Earth-like environment that's out there," Chris Jones of NASA told Evan Ackerman at IEEE Spectrum.

Forget Mars and its frigid temperatures and thin atmosphere when we can live like gods, afloat in the clouds of Venus.

Read more: Colony On Venus - Business Insider

No thanks. If this is seriously something that's being planned, and if I had to make a choice between the two, I'd choose Mars.

Unfortunately space colonization on moon, Mars, Venus or any where else may be possible one day but main problem is cost. It would cost billions of billions. No government would vote on such program. To than NASA will keep dreaming up these sci-fi ideas.

Last face it unless space cost comes down humans are going no where. There are many private companies in the researching and developing but still too costly even going to moon that alone Mars, Venus or any where else.

Hollywood movies make it seem easy and anyone can get in space. In reality it is hard and extremely costly to point not practical even for the rich.

Old 01-10-2015, 10:07 AM

1,300 posts, read 960,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Actually, the gravity on Mars is about 38%, or a bit more than a third that of Earth's. I don't know if that is low enough to have a negative affect on health over an extended period.
This really is probably the biggest question that will determine ultimately if Mars can ever be a truly self sustaining planetary civilization or a world with scientific/educational/vacation structures and only temporary human residents.
I think terraformation will happen if possible either way but the question remains weather this future "green" Mars will just be a place to visit for recreation & study or if offspring of large earth fauna (most importantly humans) can be born, grow and physically develop properly there.

Regarding Venus. Floating colonies in the clouds obviously doesn't offer the potential for any kind of large self sustaining civilization. At best it is a region of Venus (in the planets current condition) that could be occupied temporarily by future spacecraft for experimentation purposes.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:45 AM

1,200 posts, read 1,604,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
To really start the space exploration we need cheap energy and artificial gravity. To get artificial gravity we need to understand gravity.

We can establish a human colony in many places in our solar system.
I think they should send robots to build colonies on Mars before sending any humans; obviously they would have to wait 10-15 years when they have better designs and stronger build quality on human like robots (that Asimo from Japan can carry trays with coffee cups now, but I doubt it's strong enough to lift heavier things?).

Old 02-12-2015, 11:44 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 2 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,675 times
If you're thinking about Bespin Cloud City in Star Wars, I don't see that happening.

For one thing, there's the psychology of it all. Being burned alive (should you fall off the floating city) is MUCH more terrifying to most people than freezing to death and having your blood boil out of your body while alive. Yes, this is a matter of personal preference, but this does seem the case for most people. This alone would be an inhibition, especially if they can easily imaging balloons failing (I know very well that breathable air would be a lifting gas in Venus's atmosphere, but the psychology IS a factor NASA'd have to deal with).

For another thing, what could we do once we get there? Nothing that I can think of, not even mining operations by robots on the planets surface.

*The dense air pressure (90X Earth Sea Level standard pressure)
*Lifting the minerals to orbit takes enormous energy (rockets are vastly impractical for that, at least on the scale implied here)
*Space elevators won't work, because the anchor must be in geosynchronous orbit (Venus rotates once every 243 days, forcing the elevator to be absurdly long).

That alone kills the practicality of setting up a colony in Venus's atmosphere right there.

Old 02-13-2015, 02:23 AM

11,019 posts, read 5,987,049 times
Quote:
Venus rotates once every 243 days,
What would Earth's midday temperatures be like if it were to rotate that slowly, I wonder?

Old 02-28-2015, 09:50 PM

471 posts, read 621,383 times
Of all the inner planets in our solar system, Venus is the hottest and worst to sustain life.

Mars can be terraformed to sustain life.

Old 03-01-2015, 05:10 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiResident View Post
Of all the inner planets in our solar system, Venus is the hottest and worst to sustain life.

Mars can be terraformed to sustain life.
Yeah...I'm wondering if someone thought: Let's think of the dumbest place for humans to live on that might not kill us instantly if we are sufficiently creative and see what it would take to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space